Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2013 12:51pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Well the Hanging Game stuff is my go-to knife defense stuff because its simple and dynamic and uses the whole body to resist and leverage. I'd recommend checking it out.
    I will. I've been shopping more Dog brothers stuff to put in my library. Looks like this will be the next. I'm guessing it is on the DLO 1 video?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/26/2013 12:51pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Steven Seagal over-the-shoulder arm break is part of the DBMA DLO material as part of the Hanging Game. If you have the steps leading up to it, you can actually get it on people that resist you.
    Anecdote time! Over twenty years ago I was involved in a minor brawl where I tried to take someone down using this move. At the time, I didn't understand how to properly control the rest of my opponent's body. I got the arm close to the proper position more than once, but each time the guy managed to squirm out of it because I wasn't adequately controlling the rest of him.

Finally the guy straightened his arm to counter my armlock attempts. Frustrated and worried that someone else was going to kick my ass while I paid attention to him, I went for a waki-getame at full speed.

It broke his arm in an ugly fashion. It also made me sick to my stomach.

Looking back, I know that it was a mistake to try to use the first armlock (the one that Greg's video demos) on someone who was not vulnerable to it. He had no forward momentum when I tried to apply it, so I ended up trying to wrestle his arm into the proper position.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/26/2013 12:57pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I'm guessing it is on the DLO 1 video?
    I dunno, I actually learned it in a seminar with Guro Crafty.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2013 1:00pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno, I actually learned it in a seminar with Guro Crafty.
    Yeah, I don't see it listed there. I'll talk to my people and see if anyone has been exposed to it. Thanks.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    3/26/2013 10:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Yeah, I like figure 4 arm locks. They work well. I use chokes a lot, because if they keep resisting, then you can always choke them out, then use cuffs when they are out. But most of the time, they stop resisting when the air stops.

Double leg takedowns and hip tosses are the two takedowns I use the most. Arm triangles work well to keep someone secured, give you an option to choke, and keep you out of the way from strikes. You also have an easy takedown from there.
    We are not allowed to choke even light head control. It is a complete pain in the arse. I can use that figure four to take a guys back and then.
    (I dont know what the real name is)

Double overhook from behind. And then a sort of single arm through both of theirs.

I should do a vid on that one because if you get it off they are caught and you have a hand free.

Also really good for the handcuffing I would imagine. If they ever let us have handcuffs.

And I am blaming Akido for that too.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 3/26/2013 10:19pm at .
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 12:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JJJ, BJJ, CSW, Kali, JKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does Aikido has its place in self-defense? Yes, I think every martial art has something offer. Some Aikido techniques work great in response of certain common attacks i.e. irimi off a wrist pull.

That said, Aikido as an individual art fairs poorly compared to other arts as far self defense goes.

Self-defense techniques should :

1) be easy to learn.
    2) allow you to reach your target directly and quickly (straight lines)
    3) be easy to execute: In an adrenalized state, the vast majority of people are restricted to gross motor skills and unable to perform complicated techniques.

Yes, 1 and 3 are closely connected

In its pure martial artsy form, Aikido is very technical, hard to learn and require a lot of practice. Not good. They rely on big circular motions and change of levels and speed. Not good. Aikido doesn't rely on gross motor skills but technical ones - very hard to pull off in an adrenalized state, let alone against a resisting attacker. Basically many Aikido techniques are low percentage shots. Not good.

I might incorporate some Aikido in my "ultimate self-defense system" if ever I would try to gather the most effective techniques around (though other arts offer as techniques as effective and easier to execute and learn), but if I had to pick one art, Aikido wouldn't even be close to being in contention.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2013 2:51am

Style: Judo/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I originally was going to train Aikido. My buddy who trained BJJ suggested I train Judo because of my high interest in throwing people.

So, now, I'm a Judo guy, and a BJJ guy. I've grappled with Aikidoka, and I've done Tachiwaza with Aikidoka.

In my opinion, Akido is actually an advanced art. It's not something you can utilize in and of itself as a base for defense or attack. As it stands now, there's no merit for combat. Now, that said, It is interesting, and an experienced Aki guy can make things slow going for a Judo guy that has restraint.

What I did find usefull was the posture and balance. Aside from that, I felt like I was sparring against a beat down, wet, starving dog.

I think there's potential, and maybe when , "O" recreated Aikido, it might've had more merit, although I suspect, that the rigors of training was what gave the ability for combat. This is where I get confused. This is where I also, decided, training hard, and abusing yourself does nothing for defense other than the ability to take a beating. That's not a bad thing in itself, as all of us as fighters/Martial Artists must face.

It seems to me that, the merits of Aikidodo were founded on the amount of abuse one can take rather than the merits of a safe retreat, or if needed, a controlled submission.

Aikido seems to have more merit if the opponent has a sward, just like some Judo Kata, and most MA's. "Grab my wrist" is a good indication. **** you and your wrist! If you don't have a sword, that ****'s not happening. See?

Another thing, Hippies. Aikido has been misunderstood, and watered down, by, soooo many hippies. It seems it's better to drop 10 hits of LSD and grab a tickle me elmo for defense than all that peace love and hard liquor that seems to surround Akido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2013 5:59am

Style: judo, boxing -noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained aikido for 2 years and liked it. I learned falling and ukemi, I think some disarming, transporting and restraining techniques are useful against an unsuspecting opponent...
    But even before reading Bullshido I became dissatisfied with the lack of randori, since I am not a complete idiot, so I stopped.

If I had time, money and the energy I would probably take it for exercising - like yoga or tai chi, but not martial art.

Posted On:
    6/01/2013 12:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This no-touch Aikido is disgraceful... I wonder what Watanabe was thinking... And what is wrong with his uke?

Posted On:
    6/01/2013 2:03pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Der Auslander won this thread in the third post. As our British friends would say "What the fook are you goin on about mate?"
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung
Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81415161718 19202122 ... LastLast