232399 Bullies, 4025 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 131 to 140 of 272
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 1516171824 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. crappler is offline
    crappler's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,747

    Posted On:
    1/25/2013 6:43pm


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I'd think a martial art based on the Fibonacci sequence would be fucking cool too, unless it failed a lot.
    Here is a video filled with circular fail, my mathematical friend.

    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung
  2. crappler is offline
    crappler's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,747

    Posted On:
    1/25/2013 6:48pm


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am going to have to follow up with some comic gold I have discovered. Probably been seen before but I haven't.

    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung
  3. TexJohn is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    196

    Posted On:
    1/25/2013 9:08pm


     Style: BJJ

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    I am going to have to follow up with some comic gold I have discovered. Probably been seen before but I haven't.

    He was as graceful as an anvil. Just precious.
  4. Psycho Dad is offline
    Psycho Dad's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,260

    Posted On:
    1/26/2013 12:46am


     Style: BJJ/Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the Youtube page:

    " My style is called Shinobi-Jutsu "NINPO"

    Juuuuuuuuuuust great...
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

    B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.
  5. Savage Randy is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Carcer City
    Posts
    20

    Posted On:
    1/26/2013 2:22am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Fixed that for you, and I agree.
    lol, hard to disagree with edit. 8D

    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    I would equate the ballet dancer to the serious Capoeira practitioner. Because of pure conditioning and strength, this person will probably take someone who doesn't seriously train in an alive art.
    There is pragmatic Aikido techniques you could add into your existing game. I agree that it's unlikely that Aikido alone would be a very good platform for self defence as it lacks open active sparring. It's easy to take the piss however some of that circle work is very effective.
  6. Permalost is online now
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,683

    Posted On:
    1/26/2013 12:50pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The LEO/aikidoka I train with introduced me to the Z lock and aiki-type wakigatame.
  7. Jettatore is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    79

    Posted On:
    3/19/2013 3:58am


     Style: Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why I think Akido sucks....

    About 8 years ago I went to visit a top rated Akido school in Manhattan. I watched their entire training session. The main master instructor was not there that day but his senior student 2nd in command was, the guy had been with him for a very long time. Another student, who of a lesser level said he had been coming to that gym for 20 years training, consistently.

    At the end of the class I asked how they deal with punches and I got shown some bullshit non-realistic over the top haymaker, getting blocked and quickly turned into a throw... I asked after that what they do against actual punches (a boxers jab). So the senior #2 attempted to do that against a student who tried their best impression of a jab... It wasn't a well preformed jab but it was fast enough that the senior student couldn't catch it and basically looked a bit embarrassed because after several tries he basically demonstrated to the entire school and me that he can't defend against a standard jab let alone punches in bunches. He said apologetically that he really wished his Sifu was there because he would be able to give a better demonstration. And let me make this bit clear, this guy was really good at Akido, I could see that from watching the class work.

    So that's why I think it sucks, they can't defend against basic boxing, even when it's a poor attempt at basic boxing. There are exceptions to everything, but I suspect on the whole, most Akido schools practice Akido and not how to defend against common basic techniques from other present day MMA styles. If there are exceptions out there that work towards and eventually apply successfully akido to things like Boxing or Kickboxing or good TKD then by all means lets see it, I suspect most don't in any serious unstaged manner, and I suspect most Akido students, even 20 year akido vets, who aren't cross trained in some form of MMA sport, probably should avoid any confrontation with anyone who knows any sort of applicable cage fighting style or is just genuinely strong and crazy or high on pcp.

    A few months after your post, but I hope that's a reasonable answer to your question.

    edit: I'd love to see just good olympic quality Judo vs. any willing (hopefully good) Akido senior. I think that would put the question to rest, Judo has it's place and is effective, especially on hard wood or concrete. I suspect (yeah just an unsubstantiated guess) that Olympic Judo beats any form of Akido without fail.
    Last edited by Jettatore; 3/19/2013 4:05am at .
  8. Diesel_tke is offline
    Diesel_tke's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    4,005

    Posted On:
    3/19/2013 7:57am

    Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

    0
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettatore View Post
    Why I think Akido sucks....

    About 8 years ago I went to visit a top rated Akido school in Manhattan. I watched their entire training session. The main master instructor was not there that day but his senior student 2nd in command was, the guy had been with him for a very long time. Another student, who of a lesser level said he had been coming to that gym for 20 years training, consistently.

    At the end of the class I asked how they deal with punches and I got shown some bullshit non-realistic over the top haymaker, getting blocked and quickly turned into a throw... I asked after that what they do against actual punches (a boxers jab). So the senior #2 attempted to do that against a student who tried their best impression of a jab... It wasn't a well preformed jab but it was fast enough that the senior student couldn't catch it and basically looked a bit embarrassed because after several tries he basically demonstrated to the entire school and me that he can't defend against a standard jab let alone punches in bunches. He said apologetically that he really wished his Sifu was there because he would be able to give a better demonstration. And let me make this bit clear, this guy was really good at Akido, I could see that from watching the class work.

    So that's why I think it sucks, they can't defend against basic boxing, even when it's a poor attempt at basic boxing. There are exceptions to everything, but I suspect on the whole, most Akido schools practice Akido and not how to defend against common basic techniques from other present day MMA styles. If there are exceptions out there that work towards and eventually apply successfully akido to things like Boxing or Kickboxing or good TKD then by all means lets see it, I suspect most don't in any serious unstaged manner, and I suspect most Akido students, even 20 year akido vets, who aren't cross trained in some form of MMA sport, probably should avoid any confrontation with anyone who knows any sort of applicable cage fighting style or is just genuinely strong and crazy or high on pcp.

    A few months after your post, but I hope that's a reasonable answer to your question.

    edit: I'd love to see just good olympic quality Judo vs. any willing (hopefully good) Akido senior. I think that would put the question to rest, Judo has it's place and is effective, especially on hard wood or concrete. I suspect (yeah just an unsubstantiated guess) that Olympic Judo beats any form of Akido without fail.
    So you went to an Aikido school and asked them to defend against a strike and they didn't do it very well, thus you know that is sucks. Well, thats very scientific of you. I've been to very legit BJJ schools that didn't know how to respond to strikes. I've also seen some legit Judo guys who can't respond well to a strike.

    On the flip side, I have seen boxers get the **** owned out of them by a double leg takedown. Your sample size was too small to be a very good study.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
  9. Jettatore is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    79

    Posted On:
    3/19/2013 12:22pm


     Style: Boxing

    5
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok. Lets follow 'your' logic homey!

    OP asked why do "YOU" think Aikido sucks....

    I state why "I" think Aikido sucks with anecdotal evidence.

    then.....

    'YOU' don't like the fact that I didn't do a full 50 gym tour study of Aikido.....

    Well **** wasn't that the point of this thread in the first place... To get Anecdotal evidence from a multitude of forum posters, and then pool together some sembelance of a more complete "aka scientific" understanding.

    What am I supposed to do it all myself....

    If I understand the way this forum works at all by now, I'm supposed to tell you your a fucking half-wit by now who should just shut the **** up. I'm not actually like that, but I think that's how this stupid fucking forum works and what many (again key word there, many, aka, not all) of you dumb fucks respond to?

    That help my brother? Don't get upset this is just this internet you moron turtle! There are other Internets ok fellow warrior.

    Also, if I'm getting the gist of bullshito wrong, you tell me and I'll adjust my form.

    lol

    edit: for moron clarification. This was in NY fucking City, manhattan, not Alaska. I know I said this already but I feel now it needs clarification. This was an Aikido gym, located in a world capital. Sorry I did not go to Japan to check out their dojos, the commute fees would have run me a bit high and I would have ended up in Judo anyways. Anymore questions sir?

    How's my bullshido rock doing? I'm swagger right motherfuckers? This is how the rest of you do this ****, I'm just trying to fit in. You tell me and I'll adjust my flex to the left Sensei. You tell me how you want it!
    Last edited by Jettatore; 3/19/2013 12:29pm at .
  10. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,116

    Posted On:
    3/19/2013 12:29pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettatore View Post
    Ok. Lets follow 'your' logic homey!

    OP asked why do "YOU" think Aikido sucks....

    I state why "I" think Aikido sucks with anecdotal evidence.

    then.....

    'YOU' don't like the fact that I didn't do a full 50 gym tour study of Aikido.....

    Well **** wasn't that the point of this thread in the first place... To get Anecdotal evidence from a multitude of forum posters, and then pool together some sembelance of a more complete "aka scientific" understanding.

    What am I supposed to do it all myself....

    If I understand the way this forum works at all by now, I'm supposed to tell you your a fucking half-wit by now who should just shut the **** up. I'm not actually like that, but I think that's how this stupid fucking forum works and what many (again key word there, many, aka, not all) of you dumb fucks respond to?

    That help my brother? Don't get upset this is just this internet you moron turtle! There are other Internets ok fellow warrior.

    Also, if I'm getting the gist of bullshito wrong, you tell me and I'll adjust my form.

    lol

    edit: for moron clarification. This was in NY fucking City, manhattan, not Alaska. I know I said this already but I feel now it needs clarification. This was an Aikido gym, located in a world capital. Sorry I did not go to Japan to check out their dojos, the transportation prices would have run me a bit high and I would have ended up in Judo anyways. Anymore questions sir?

    How's my bullshido rock doing? I'm swagger right motherfuckers? This is how the rest of you do this ****, I'm just trying to fit in. You tell me and I'll adjust my flex to the left Sensei.
    LOL, he has a point Diesel.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.