Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Which art would you recommend to a novice with only a month to learn?

Ok, let's assume you had 4 weeks to learn to handle yourself in a fight as best you could (I ask hypothetically, just out of curiosity, I don't ask cuz I'm preparing for a fight or anything lol). Being well aware that you won't master any art-form in such a minimal amount of time, you need to learn to take care of yourself and anyone whom travels with you on the street. What discipline would you dedicate your four weeks to studying? I have heard many say krav maga, but I have yet to come across a krav class that actually trains in aliveness (they seem more reliant upon the muscle memory that comes with repetition of techniques). I've also heard about Keysi, which I've never taken, but some claim that's an over-hyped style that media built up due to its prominence in the Batman films. I imagine BJJ might be good, because it will help teach one how to control their opponents instead of just trying to hurt them. But it looks like sambo and judo might also have merit. What do you guys think? Which form would you go to if you had one month to learn?

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hypothetically, I'd say your best bet is to avoid problem areas like bars, bad parts of town, and pissed off significant others.

Of course, you wrote fight, not self defense, so do you want to clarify, because there is a difference.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are MMA programs that will take you off the street and put you in the cage in about 12 weeks.

The tightest I have seen for a ring fight is about 2 months. But the guy was athletic.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Style
    Western Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Western boxing,in 4 weeks I can school enough in the basics to might somebody think they should picked on someone else. You will not be a pro or GG champ but enough to do some damage. Joe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting. I'm pretty athletic too. How do I find one of these expedited programs like the ones you've mentioned in MMA and Western boxing?

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Getting into a ring or a cage does not mean **** about your actual abilities.
    Some boxing gyms will throw you in a month into the rind if a competition is close by, and partly or even mainly to test you, see if you got what it takes to compete.
    In such a short time i'll also have to say boxing is your best choice. You learn how to stand and block a little while throwing semi ok punches.
    But that is a 4 times a week minimum training with plenty of semi hard to hard sparring.
    A month is just too short a time, ill be surprised if the regular joe can transfer his boxing skills into a real street fight so soon. But maybe just standing like you have an idea of what to do in a fight can help.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Firearms course. I don't look at martial arts training to prep me for a fight, it preps me for life. If I need to fight I am looking to put a hole in you first. Hand to hand is a last resort for me.

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bsem View Post
    Interesting. I'm pretty athletic too. How do I find one of these expedited programs like the ones you've mentioned in MMA and Western boxing?
    Brisbane has one.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

I recommend Judo because they'll spend the first few weeks showing you how to fall on your ass "successfully".

Notice I didn't say "telling you".

Style
    sambo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about lion taming? A lion I think is a great fight deterrent.

But seriously, it would depend on who you have to fight. If you are anticipating a fight with a skilled boxer, then your month would be better spent in some sort of grappling Wrestling/BJJ/Sambo/Judo etc. Since you stand no chance exchanging strikes but you have a small chance of actually taking him down.

If on the other hand you are anticipating a fight with a grappler, then your month would be best spent practicing your best KO punch. You'd still have to pray to whatever god you worship he doesn't grab you first but In such a case you would have a small chance of success.

But realistically, if the guy you hypothetically intend to fight has say 10 years of fighting experience, then 1 month of anything on the planet is not going to help you.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last