Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/10/2011 8:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is my Wing Chun School Genuine?

I'm very interested in learing Wing Chun, and I've looked at three schools in my area. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The closest is 5 minute drive, and the next two are 30 min drive (1 hour busing).

I went into the first school to check it out. There were two sifu's, and they offered me a free day. They teach in a rented room in a community centre.

They have one wooden dummy, and sandbag, and no mats. The sifus were very attentive to me despite me having not paid. I only practiced forms, the basic punch, and block, and punch. I"m not sure how it translates as they were talking chinese.

I don't believe it's a McDojo, but I'm not sure about the school. The sifus let me practice with other people, seniors and juniors. Most of the students are teenagers, but there are plenty of adult learners.

They seem to know what they're talking about in terms of relating the Wing Chun concepts (economy of motion, and strength) to a street Fight. There is some sparring, but no Full contact (which is a bit of a red flag). Classes are $140 for 12 classes.

THis is the website:
    http://www.wing-chun.ca/

These are the other two schools.
    http://vingtsun.
    ca/index.html
    http://www.wingchun-canada.com/
    What do you guys think?

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/10/2011 8:37pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First what are you looking for in a Martial Art?

140 is a ton especially if there is nothing else offered.

Posted On:
    10/10/2011 8:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm looking for self-defense, and discipline.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/10/2011 9:04pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, you should have learned discipline form your parents. If not, join the military. If you are looking for cultural discipline take some cultural awareness classes.

If you are set on wing chun make sure they do not theorize and they spar on a regular basis. No, not once a week or an optional class, but every class. Relating to the street, through theory, does not mean it has ANY applicability on the street.

If they do not compete in Lei Tai, Sanda, Sanshou, or legit MMA and Kickboxing venues don't bother. Take up judo and/or boxing.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    10/10/2011 9:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well if by genuine you mean, is it like most WC schools, then yes. if by genuine will it teach you how to fight, probably not. just go take up boxing and judo like IIF said.

if you have a boner for eastern martial arts, at least go the kyokushin/judo etc route.

Posted On:
    10/10/2011 9:48pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is your background in martial arts in general? Wing Ch_n appeals to people with little to no experience in martial arts, it's sad but it's a fact.

Do you want to rearn disciprine? "Our lineage of the Ch-n is the true lineage of a traditional martial art (which we will repeat often until it becomes truth), our Sifus, despite being so white that they are almost transparent, teach strict respect in accordance with Chinese traditions. It is an art that is direct, devastating and deadly. You will become able to defend yourself against multiple opponents instantly and will become an instructor within a couple of years. It will also take a lifetime to master. Um, plus we will throw in secret techniques for just an extra $50 a lesson, but first you have to reach the mystical next level, oh you sneezed, you have reached that level, now if you pay a little more you will receive the secret instruction."
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    10/10/2011 11:10pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Acosta View Post
    I went into the first school to check it out. There were two sifu's, and they offered me a free day. They teach in a rented room in a community centre.
    Free trial lessons is pretty standard for martial arts. (Community centre locations are common, too.)

The sifus were very attentive to me despite me having not paid.
    Why “despite”? It makes perfect sense for them to be very attentive precisely to people who haven’t paid, who are just trying it out: They’re basically trying to sell something to you, and naturally want to give you a good impression. If I ran a martial arts school, I’d be attentive to visitors, too.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 3:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun Kung Fu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as good wing chun goes, I think you're out of luck in Canada. But a little bad wing chun can still go a long way.

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 3:46pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you're saying you can find real Wing Chun elsewhere?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 3:54pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
    As far as good wing chun goes, I think you're out of luck in Canada. But a little bad wing chun can still go a long way.
    I'm confused as to what you mean here, are you saying bad Wing Chun is still good?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast