1. 2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA-Based Workouts for When You Can't Train

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gsp-rushfit.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	14405

For those of you who have to spend every bit of your waking day training because ARRGGG YEAH GET SOME, I'll do a TL;WR (Too Long; Won't Read): You can get your MMA workout programs here, and here

Now then. I wanted to start this off with a line about how "P90x and Insanity-type workouts are all the rage with the masses these days". Then I realized that it would be more accurate to say "cramming down fistfulls of food and watching television" is what's genuinely popular.

So I'll revise that statment: for people who actually have pride in themselves and give a crap about not being a burden on their families and the healthcare system, P90X and Insanity-type workouts... As my mother says: if you can't say something nice, you're probably a member of Bullshido. And given that you're a member here (or a cowardly lurker) you're probably not interested in a workout program run by some guy who's probably never been punched in the mouth, and depending on your point of view, deserves to be.

So what to do?

Fortunately there are some options:

Bas Rutten's MMA Workout

Bas Rutten, aside from being one of the Supreme Elder Council of MMA and President of Liverkickatonia, is also a pretty good trainer. His workout series has been around for going on 10 years now.

Here's some random guy doing the Bas Rutten MMA workout:

Georges St. Pierre's "Rushfit"

If you've been living in a hole the last several years and/or don't watch MMA with female companions, you don't know who GSP is. You're also stupid. Why are you reading this if you don't know who GSP is? Really, he's the freaking....

*CAFFEINE INTERLUDE*

Now then, unlike Bas Rutten's MMA workout, GSP's Rushfit has a much broader program and is targeted at both fans interested in fitness and MMA athletes alike.

Here's the kicky-punchy trailer for GSP's Rushfit:

The workout is great but I have to admit this trailer is fairly corny. It's not GSP's fault though, blame the marketing guy/gal who had thought that GSP doing a bunch of low-percentage fighting techniques which look good in movies, would play well to people who like MMA.

Brass tacks: a MMA workout isn't a proper substitute for going to class. But it is MUCH better than letting yourself get soft on those days when life gets in the way. And because, even here, only a smaller percentage of people actually get to train for a living, there's a good amount of appeal for sneaking in a quick workout from your living room/hotel room/basement while still in your pajamas/underwear/gimpsuit.

Feel free to leave any suggestions for other, similar workouts in the comments section. We actually can't think of any others besides these two but ere at Bullshido, we're all looking forward to Matthew Maldonado's forthcoming "Sweating in the Shower" workout.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 4:54pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lonely Dog, head of DBMA in Europe, has some great videos for solo training on Youtube. Not really MMA, but stuff for fighting, so worth checking out:

There's a total of 10 of them.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 4:59pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done the Bas Rutten workout. It is pretty good. It will kick your ass. And it is like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. If you use proper technique, there is nothing keeping this from being a good MMA workout.

I've also used his kickboxing(Tai boxing as he says) CD's for workouts for years. It is a great way to get some rounds in on the heavy bag and he keeps you from slacking off.

I use stuff off Lonely Dogs videos almost every day! Good stuff in there.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 11:09pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cage fit.

They do a home kit.

I should just video the circuit training we do.

Watch greg Who is out of shape and dies fit
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 10:44am

Style: bjj/judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I worked at Job Corps, we would switch it up between Insanity and Tapout XT in our fitness group.

Tapout was okay. A good work out as far as the P90X fitness fad workouts go, it was a good cardio workout and between that and Insanity we had a pretty big campus wide weight loss(although higher numbers of kids trying to RNC each other in their rooms)

I've used John Hackleman's "The Pit" workout at home. Its not as varied as some other workout programs, and you probably shouldn't be doing the bagwork unless you're already aware of your own bad habits, but its a good workout as well.

Posted On:
    1/29/2013 11:04am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have not used this program, and it stretches the definition of getting instructed by someone who has been punched in the face for a living. However, a high school friend has thus far lost 30 lbs from this program. When he first sent me the link, I thought he was fucking with me, but its actually real.

http://www.ddpyoga.com/site/index.php/en

Former WCW wrestler Diamond Dallas Page has his own yoga based workout(referred to by my friend as "broga"). Its a wierd world. Personally, I'm waiting for the release of Bret Hart's "Hitman Pilates" before I invest in any former wrestler workout videos.