Posted On:
    4/26/2013 5:45am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai / Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Tonuzaba

Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba View Post
    Where/under whom do you train Muay Thai, for how long?
    I was at Dragon Power for over a year but moved to Thaiholics and now train under Nic Radley (he is a pro/EFC fighter). No, I haven't been doing MA for 20 years like some, but I haven't been doing it for a few months either. Maybe 2-4 years are not enough for some people, but you can learn a lot within your first year.

Where did you train grappling/BJJ to be able to judge the effectivity of triangle chokes or any other chokes for that matter?

How many times were you caught into any kind of choke by a grappler and got out?
    One of the TKM students is also a student at Rico Hattingh's gym and he did quite and effective job of triangle chokes, arm bars and sleep holds on me, i.e. with MMA rules you can not escape. Within the octagon I agree that you can't escape, but only because you are not allowed to kick/hit the groin, kick while you are on the ground, bite tendons or pick someone up and smash him on his neck/head (very possible with a traditional triangle choke). Now take the rules away and see what happens, even worse when your attacker has I knife.

Just to be clear - you are wrong about Bullshido members being antagonistic. I know it reads like that to you now, but you are reading into it.
    Thank you for clearing it up. Because I'm new I do not (yet) understand the way that things are done here.

What most folks in this thread or on Bullshido in general are saying is not that "KM is BS" (at least not all of it :-D). We were critical of the OPs approach, i.e. writing a review based on a pre-arranged demo show, instead of regular attendance.
    Fair enough. I am however not "new" to KM and can therefore give an opinion on more than just a demo class. One other advantage of KM is that a person can learn it very quickly.

As for the rest of your "wouldn´t work on the streets" bullshit - just proving that you were not lying about being new to this site.

Read up.

Please.
    Please practice what you preach and "read up". See attached article and links below.

vineoflife.net/2012/11/29/mother-singlehandedly-drives-terrorist-away-after-being-stabbed-in-the-face/

thejc.com/community/community-life/57705/putting-case-defence

And how exactly is grappling (which first requires a take down) going to help you during a knife attack?

youtube.com/watch?v=izDQwDT_ERg

Posted On:
    4/26/2013 6:09am

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Katje

Thank you for the open, honest reply. Having read through my original post a second time you make some very valuable remarks. Maybe I should have waited a while before posting, then it would not have seemed so attacking.

Just to be fair, I was not offended because my school was attacked, I was more aggravated by the, as I perceived it, negative feeling towards KM without any actual experience or knowledge regarding the topic, but as you pointed out it was not directed towards KM per se. This roots from the fact that I am a person who always give someone the benefit of the doubt if I do not have first hand experience myself. Call me naive if you like, but a positive attitude is something that South Africa can do with. I do however now more clearly understand what this forum is about, so I will try and look at replies with a different light.

As for people having a wealth of experience and contribution to add, I whole heartily agree, but then state your first hand experience with KM and why you believe it will not work. This was not the case, but once again it was only my interpretation.

Then as for backing something up with a video, I feel this will not add to the argument as many a forum member already dismissed videos posted in this thread on the premise that it is staged and therefore cannot work. There is ample amount of videos on TKM's website regarding defenses for different attacks.

Also, English is not my native language, 'coz I'm a "boertjie", so please excuse my poor grammar and English. This also contributes to my misinterpreting of certain replies.

Thank you for the constructive criticism, I'll keep it in mind with my follow-up post from here on forth.

Posted On:
    4/26/2013 6:16am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I forgot to add the attachment, please see attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newspaper1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	14754  

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/26/2013 6:42am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruwel View Post

As KravNoob pointed out, the idea is not to prevent any injuries, the idea is to survive with minimum injuries. Thanks for the video post It Is Fake, but no-one in that video were trained in any art to defend themselves against knife attacks. The one security guard did not get stabbed because, as per the narrators reasoning, he "grabbed the attackers arm". Well, that is exactly what they teach you, to grab AND CONTROL the attacker and his arm. "Well then I'll just switch the knife to the other hand". Sir, I'll like to see you try switch knife hands with my body in between your two hands while I immediately open a barrage of groin kicks. You'll be in so much pain that the last thing on your mind is switching hands.
    Ah yes, the dreaded groin kick that ALWAYS works in every art ever taught.
    You have proof and sources they weren't trained? I saw security, cops and random people you couldn't possibly know to ascertain their training. The funniest part of your post is you discounting his theories and promptly inserting your own.
    "Rather learn BJJ for locks", ag please! The only reason you cannot get out of triangle choke or arm bar in MMA is because of rules. You are not allowed to hit somebody in the groin, bite him, pick him up and slam him on his head, etc. All which is allowed in the street. When you fight someone in the street, you're most probably not going to be able to put him in a triangle choke and if you do that with me, I'll pick you up (or just walk forward over your neck) and slam your neck onto the tar and breaking it.
    Ah yes, the bite. Really? So, if I get all of the articles, like you just did, of MMA and BJJers surviving the street, what then?

http://www.chicagonow.com/fightin-wo...he-real-world/
    As you might have heard on the news, two Oregon men in Los Angeles for a grappling tournament recently used their knowledge of jiu-jitsu to subdue an armed robber at a Korea-town hotel.
    http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...g-stranglehold
    The woman, an off-duty US navy sailor, knocked the knife from his grasp, broke it in two, bit his hand, wrestled him to the ground and put him in a stranglehold between her thighs.
    Knife, weapons and BJJ, grappling and MMA OUTSIDE of the cage. Hmmmmmm. Oh and please go watch some MMA. I've seen people slammed on their heads, kicked in the groin, hair pulled, eye gouged and any "street"technique you can name.

I told you guys it was headed to silliness.

Edit:
    If last said is true, then why does all the elite special units in the world, like the IDF special forces, train in some sort of hand-to-hand defense like Krav Maga and not in BJJ/MMA/MT?
    ALL? Take a deep breath because they all do not.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 4/26/2013 7:07am at .

Posted On:
    4/26/2013 8:02am

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oi oi oi... What is it with folk not being able to take some objective criticism?
    Just to drive the point, which has been made by many a poster before, a bit further don't come out saying (slamming will get you fucked up) otherwise folks are coming up with videos showing otherwise. (Anybody remember the TUF season where it actually happened? UFC matches where both got knocked out, one due to the slam other due to triangle? Competition footage of folks where it happens?) Oh and since you do that much BJJ you do know that there are ways to defend the pick up, right?

As for the evil ball kick/punch/biting etc. Can somebody show this **** the first couple of UFCs? We have the ball punching, we have the bite defense for armbar (anybody can recall the result?!)

To make that plain obvious for you, if you think you can squeeze his balls, he can poke your eyes out, fish hook you, rip your ears off... Please learn to not escalate a situation that you are losing!

Reading skills FTW dude... it is all in the thread but you had to come in and take big **** on the carpet and then you wonder why people don't treat you nicely.

Posted On:
    4/26/2013 9:09am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Edit:
    ALL? Take a deep breath because they all do not.
    Do I understand correctly, there are special forces that do not train in hand-to-hand combat?

QUOTE=It is Fake;2774682]Edit:
    Oh and please go watch some MMA. I've seen people slammed on their heads, kicked in the groin, hair pulled, eye gouged and any "street"technique you can name. [/QUOTE]

What sanctioned MMA competition are you referring to here where these are legal?
    Last edited by Gruwel; 4/26/2013 9:19am at .

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    4/26/2013 9:17am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do I understand correctly, there are special forces that do not train in hand-to-hand combat?
    You read wrong again.

The information offered to you was that not all special/IDF forces train KM.

In fact, many train grappling/BJJ.

Spoiler - any MA they train is seen as cardio mainly, to be used as the very last resort - when the soldier/operative does not have any of his/her weapons, nor are there any objects around that could be used as weapons, which is basically a scenario they train to avoid in the first place.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    4/26/2013 9:29am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    then why does all the elite special units in the world, like the IDF special forces, train in some sort of hand-to-hand defense like Krav Maga and not in BJJ/MMA/MT?
    Thank you for clearing that up, but seems you read wrong as well. I point out the words "in some sort of hand-to-hand", I did not say "explicitly Krav Maga".

If they train in BJJ/MMA/MT for other reasons than cardio and fitness, I stand corrected.

Posted On:
    4/26/2013 9:43am

Style: JiuJistu

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2013 10:05am

Style: Kali

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi all

"Rather learn BJJ for locks", ag please! The only reason you cannot get out of triangle choke or arm bar in MMA is because of rules. You are not allowed to hit somebody in the groin, bite him, pick him up and slam him on his head, etc. All which is allowed in the street. When you fight someone in the street, you're most probably not going to be able to put him in a triangle choke and if you do that with me, I'll pick you up (or just walk forward over your neck) and slam your neck onto the tar and breaking it.
    cool, I get to link

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast