C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 10:00am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KravNoob, you are so 2006... :-)

Welcome to Bullshido.

I wish you a speedy recovery, erhm, I mean enjoy your training. Please start your very own thread in Newbietown and keep us updated on how things are going.

In the meanwhile I think you could pay a visit to a judo/BJJ/boxing/MT/MMA gym in your vicinity and try a free introductory class that most of the schools offer, just to gain a broader perspective on approaches to physical combat.

Good luck.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 10:06am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even before the years of Kali & other arts, if you had given me a real knife, I would have cut you. I don't care who you are, I would have cut you. Maybe not badly, maybe not critically, but mother fucker, you would be bleeding.

Even before the years of Kali & other arts, if you had given me a real knife, I would have cut you. I don't care who you are, I would have cut you. Maybe not badly, maybe not critically, but mother fucker, you would be bleeding.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 3:17pm

Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theAsthmatic View Post
    Wait a second, the instructor gave you a real knife and asked you to cut him with it and you went for it with full speed and to the best of your ability? How well did he know you at this point?
    ok I should clarify to ensure transparency and dispel any perceived claims of superiority, which btw is unintentional.

Yes he gave me a real knife, yes i went for it with full speed and to the best of my ability and he knows me fairly well in terms of personality, more so than ultimate technique I reckon

BUT, and this would be a big "but" in this context, the attack was confined to the angle of attack range, if you will, can't fathom a better term, in the video in this thread i.e. stabbing from the front, as in if you are attacked like so, you can successfully defend like so, it sure as hell wasn't advertised as the be all and end all of unarmed defense against any and all knife attacks, was a specific defense for a specific attack, with full force and a real knife, but not full range of motion.

The aim of course being to survive a more likely "typical" street junkie knife attack, not a trained blade master

Hope that adequately describes the situation?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 3:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje View Post
    Before you answer that KravNoob, maybe it's a good idea to define what you mean by "real knife". Do you mean just that it's an actual metal knife where the blade & point have been ground down to bluntness (as opposed to, say, rubber or wooden ones), or that it's a metal knife with a proper sharp edge and point?

If your school uses live, properly sharpened knives for learning and practice:

1) then you are unsafe training there and the school is recklessly irresponsible and exposing their students to completely unnecessary risk

2) if nobody has died or at least opened an artery after you were drilling techniques you just learned at full speed and power then the techniques/training are **** and will get you injured or killed in an actual confrontation

Nobody gets knife defence right 100% of the time. Nobody. The point of knife training, apart from sport, is to equip you with skills and awareness that will give you a better chance of surviving in an actual confrontation. Nobody can realistically guarantee any more than that.

Any school that tells you their techniques are 100% effective are either outright lying or have only ever been exposed to their own flawed techniques, which give them a skewed understanding of their own prowess.

(Just to be clear I'm not saying your school has said these things, but if they have then sadly this is likely to be the situation)
    Completely reasonable. Answered the previous post, but this one will make for further clarification so:

By real knife I meant as far as I could tell a commercially available Spyderco Byrd with 7" or so blade, sharp as a ************

to be clear it is NOT used for regular training, for that we use stunt knives, what it IS used for in this case is reinforcing that against a specific attack a specific defense is indeed effective, add to that when the real knife comes out the student will ALWAYS be the attacker and the instructor will be defending against it unarmed, which, to your point, is to avoid recklessness and unnecessary risk

To your last, again very valid point, nobody in there even dreams of claiming 100% effectiveness, in fact the message is pretty much that you're likely to get cut, but you will survive if you can avoid getting stabbed and you can control the weapon despite the cuts, which I think is fair enough?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 3:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba View Post
    KravNoob, you are so 2006... :-)

Welcome to Bullshido.

I wish you a speedy recovery, erhm, I mean enjoy your training. Please start your very own thread in Newbietown and keep us updated on how things are going.

In the meanwhile I think you could pay a visit to a judo/BJJ/boxing/MT/MMA gym in your vicinity and try a free introductory class that most of the schools offer, just to gain a broader perspective on approaches to physical combat.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the welcome Tonuzaba, must say I do enjoy the general banter and pot shots taken from all sides on the forum.

FYI not a complete noob, 4 years of Karate preceded this, as well as multiple visits to multiple local gyms covering BJJ/boxing/MT/MMA, admittedly I haven't tried judo. I most definitely haven't written off any of those styles, but have to say I was left unimpressed, I hasten to add it may very well be a result of what is available in the vicinity rather than anything else like the style itself

on the upside, we have quite a few class members that are cross training between krav and MT/MMA especially, so we get to benefit from an alternate perspective at times which is very valuable

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 3:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post

LOL amen brother, loving the enthusiasm, and honestly, I believe you, if you see the other responses in this thread you'll also see not getting cut is not the objective, not getting killed is

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 3:41pm

Style: JiuJistu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Besides all the stuff being posted here...(I am not getting into this pile of Krav)

Video or didn't happen.
    I am super keen on seeing a real knife and somebody going for broke against another person, not because I like to see train wracks happen but because it will:
    a) show people that you will get cut and doing this (using live blades) is stupid
    b) That the attack and defense is crappy/sloppy/compliant
    c) a+b

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 3:49pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    Besides all the stuff being posted here...(I am not getting into this pile of Krav)

Video or didn't happen.
    I am super keen on seeing a real knife and somebody going for broke against another person, not because I like to see train wracks happen but because it will:
    a) show people that you will get cut and doing this (using live blades) is stupid
    c) a+b
    You can't. This is why these threads get silly. He is in his training hall with rules, with people that have trained these techniques and they have been done in a safe environment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 3:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post

Video or didn't happen.
    c) a+b
    franginho, see the other responses, attack was limited in range, but not in force or speed, hence obviously the instructor knows to a fair degree what is coming, it is a demonstration exercise, NOT a general training one

most welcome to pop by and get a real live demo, but video wise i don't have any readily available, many members take them all the time, odds are it is out there, but I was attacking at the time, didn't exactly have time to film it ...

I can point you at the, admittedly staged, videos on the main site, take from it whatever you will, I won't offer an opinion aside from it can get a whole lot more real in the class ... http://truekravmaga.co/media/videos/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 3:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    You can't. This is why these threads get silly. He is in his training hall with rules, with people that have trained these techniques and they have been done in a safe environment.
    Exactly, I would add there are degrees of realism however, and I have yet to see unarmed vs armed get more real, it would likely require an unreasonable risk factor that any business simply cannot take
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast