• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 10:05am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    The statistical consensus is that between 10 and 30 percent of women in the USA will experience attempted or completed rape. Meanwhile the number of reported rapes is tiny and the conviction rate is tinier. Sources:

http://www.rainn.org/statistics
    http://www.oneinfourusa.org/statistics.php
    http://www.slc.edu/offices-services/...tatistics.html

Meanwhile the amount of false accusations filed is between 2 and 8 percent, a tiny percentage of the number of rapes brought to legal attention, itself a tiny percentage of the number of rapes committed.
    Source: http://ndaa.org/pdf/the_voice_vol_3_no_1_2009.pdf

The same fact sheet shows that the majority of rapes are committed by someone the survivor knows, making those "how to keep from getting raped" fact sheets not just condescending and victim blaming but actually themselves bullshido. Of course there are sloppy thinking, self serving bros who will ignore all evidence to the contrary, like slamdunc, for instance...

And it's been my experience that people who say things like this are always rape-apologist power-douches. Funny how personal experience works that way, huh?
    All I can go on is my own personal experience in family law and working on DV cases, both criminal and civil. I can tell you anecdotally about 50% of the cases I see involve false allegations. I don't know what the basis for your studies are and haven't look at them in depth, and frankly don't really care to because my main points still stands. It is not "douchey" by any measure to be careful about rushing to judgment on a serious criminal matter involving an evil act of violence. If you were one of those 2 or 8 percent who were falsely accused and had your life ruined, you might feel differently. I don't think I can be characterized as a rape apologist. What I am is someone who objects to crimes of violence and people who minimize such crimes by falsely reporting them for their own personal gain. Rape is taken very seriously by law enforcement where I practice. I know of only one case in the last several years (perpetuated by the local "feminist" activists) where someone was charged with false reporting.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 10:13am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're wrong. Statistics say that 99% of men are rapists. Check out the website that hedgehogey gets his stats from:

www.feministdominationstrategies.com

There is absolutely no way that the numbers can lie.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    I know of only one case in the last several years (perpetuated by the local "feminist" activists) where someone was charged with false reporting.
    It is unlikely that a false report charge would ever be filed here. I spoke with the state's attorney about it and his opinion is that if we file this, it may discourage actual victims from reporting their assault. I have had victims recant because they feared for their safety, because they were 'paid off' and a couple just because they didn't want the embarrassment.

I've had six successfully prosecuted cases (out of about 50); when I say successfully, I mean the perpetrator plead to a lesser charge or was found guilty. The majority of my current cases have children (12 - 15) as victims. All of them consented without the capacity to do so and were reluctant to report because they were 'in love' and didn't want to get anyone in trouble (two were female perps).

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 11:49am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you are dealing with someone who has been arrested for something, even if it seems pretty obvious that the person is quilty, you have a lot of conflicting emotions. Espesially when it is something like this or with children involved. You would like to just take the guy out back and beat the **** out of him. But you can't do that. It isn't the job. Compartmentalling everything on the basis that someone is inicent until proven guilty helps to keep your composure and keep you from ending up on a Rodney King video.

Slamdunc's response was a part of that in my opinion. People who don't work in Law Enforcement don't like or understand it. They sit back and say things like, "I couldn't work around people like that or I would do something I would regret." And then turn around and say, "You are a rape-apologist-power-duche because you didn't immediately side with the victum." But the reason people can work in those environments is because they have figured out a way of coping with it.

In this case I think everyone agrees that the suspects are sick fucks and will get what they deserve, when/if found guilty.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 1:36pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    In this case I think everyone agrees that the suspects are sick fucks and will get what they deserve, when/if found guilty.
    Yes, I agree 100%. How do you think some of the members here would fare sitting across the table from a pedophile who likes 6 year old boys?

Do you think they could build rapport with them and get them to tell his story? How do you think they would react when he started disclosing details? I'm going to guess that they would come over the table and knock their ass off (not that I don't want to).

I sit, listen and say things like "tell me more a about that" and "some people just don't understand". I want to say "you sick ****, you need a battery acid enema" and then triangle them. I don't have any desire to understand why they think those thoughts, I just want them to tell me the story. I can go home, hug the kids, shower and sleep.

I managed to come up with somewhat of an electronic scrapbook. Just a few of my favorites and I'll share them later in the thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 2:39pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm appalled beyond reasonable words at this incident...

However, the professional skepticism that Slamdunc exemplifies is what I want in LEOs. Due process is part of what this country was founded on. He may have missed a detail at first, but was quick to realize his mistake in light of new (to him) evidence. That's exactly the mentality someone should have in investigating and prosecuting such a grave and serious offense.

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 8:40pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstörer90 View Post
    I'm appalled beyond reasonable words at this incident...

However, the professional skepticism that Slamdunc exemplifies is what I want in LEOs. Due process is part of what this country was founded on. He may have missed a detail at first, but was quick to realize his mistake in light of new (to him) evidence. That's exactly the mentality someone should have in investigating and prosecuting such a grave and serious offense.
    See here is the thing. When I defend people in criminal cases, the only thing I tell people that is if they are going to go down, they are going to go down by the numbers.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 7:19am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Court Documents in BJJ Rape Case

Cool thing about statistics is that you can make them say whatever you want by adjusting very minute variables. I run statistical reports for my boss all the time and enjoy screwing around with the variables just for shock value. With that in mind, I would never run around with guns a blazin based on some stats I pulled up on the interwebz.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 9:49am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Missing posts moved here: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119609

This thread is about documents concerning the Schultz/Maldonado rape case. Do not derail it again with off topic personal attacks, or I will put my e-foot up your ass.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2013 2:16am

Style: SAMBO, jiu jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JNP, please scold me if I am out of line or not posting in the context of this thread. I apologize in advance if I am.

I have read all the peer commentary, news articles and police documents I can find regarding this particular case. Most have been ok I suppose, cookie cutter in a lot of ways though. Saying what any decent person would say in a commentary regarding rape or non-consenual sexual conduct. They unfortunatly, to me at least, feel somewhat shallow, unsatisfactory, unsubstantial.

I have recently, serendipitiously too, come across Bullshido's threads regarding the case. In my ignorance, I thought this site wouldn't have even been aware of or cared about what happened in D.C., let alone have several threads dedicated to the incident. I was wrong.

I want to say how much I appreciate the forum's cander, bluntness and the relevant discourse concerning this all to common incident. At times I see Bullshido an unjustly brash site but the way this case is being handled here has shown me the maturity of this forum. I deeply appreciate it both as a member of the Bullshido community but more importantly, as a female grappler who is trying to...understand? process? come to terms with what happened that night.

I understand and acknowledge that rape occurs everyday, throughout the day. To women, to children, to men, all around the country, all around the world. But somehow, for whatever reason, this particular case has really effected me. It has also effected the nearly 600 female jiujitsu/mma practioners that are members of my Womens Grappling Network, a CA-based community I administrate and moderate on Facebook. The case has dominated our board, and others like it, for the last two weeks. We have been sharing all the articles and peer commentary regarding this case, amongst others. Sharing our resources, our personal stories of sexual assualt, all for the purpose of healing I suppose.

Anyway, again, the discourse here has been so much more substantial, refreshing and cathartic than the other resources I have read and I thank you for that. Please keep doing what you're doing, for this case and for all the others that you will tackle as a Community. Ill also refer my girls on the Network to the commentary being held here as maybe they too will get a new perspective about this case, that imo, just isn't out there from what I have found.

Your loyal lurker,
    animlmthr
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234