218358 Bullies, 6531 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/14/2013 10:22am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

I guess you will have to feed it with some data that it can't collect on it's own. But, don't be so sure a program can't detect wind speed (angle of a flapping flag for example can be calculated..) they get seriously intelligent now days.
    The price will drop dramatically (or china/israel will overcome/copy the patent and make it for you cheap).
    Though, i don't get why someone will buy that for hunting...where is the fun? it is more like a computer game played out side and than a visit to the butcher shop...No sport.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    1/14/2013 10:59am

supporting member

Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    I guess you will have to feed it with some data that it can't collect on it's own. But, don't be so sure a program can't detect wind speed (angle of a flapping flag for example can be calculated..) they get seriously intelligent now days.
    The price will drop dramatically (or china/israel will overcome/copy the patent and make it for you cheap).
    Though, i don't get why someone will buy that for hunting...where is the fun? it is more like a computer game played out side and than a visit to the butcher shop...No sport.
    Except there aren't range flags in combat and wind direction and speed can change multiple times over, say a thousand yard shot. I'm not saying the technology isn't on the horizon. I'm saying this thing isn't ready for primetime from a tactical perspective and there are better options out there if you want a scope with ballistic compensation capabilities.

And American shooters don't want Chinese optics.

Posted On:
    1/14/2013 11:05am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

The same things a sniper uses to estimate the wind direction and speed along the bullet's route can be detected and calculated with a program (theoretically).

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    1/14/2013 11:08am

supporting member

The same things a sniper uses to estimate the wind direction and speed along the bullet's route can be detected and calculated with a program (theoretically).
    Theoretically. But I don't see this company claiming their scope can read the mirage, etc.

Posted On:
    1/14/2013 11:13am

supporting member

Also in order to (theoretically) replace the shooter's skill, the system would need to accept feedback regarding actual impact of shots. There are so many variables that go into a long shot. The shooter has to be able to adjust when they make all their calculations and their shot is still off. The technology needs to be able to make this adjustment as well.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/14/2013 11:15am

staff

A little, i wasn't a sniper but i did go on a course for the A2 E3 (had a times 4 trigicun for daylight and an acyla for the night, have zero idea how to spell that) we hit body targets up to 500 meters.
    500M isn't long range or precision based marksmanship.

That's standard stuff which can be achieved using iron sights.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/14/2013 11:26am

staff

The problem with calculating wind speed is less to do with what you can see but predicting what's occurring at the target which, for this sort of shot, could be 1000k or more away. That comes down to experience and physical skill of the operator.

I'm not saying a computer couldn't do it, I'd just be very skeptical of it's reliability and applicability in current warfare. Plus, the role of a sniper isn't solely limited to target interdiction, they are gatherers of raw information which is passed up the chain for processing. Indeed I know members of sniper sections who have coordinated more indirect mortar and artillery strikes than have ever fired their own weapon.

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/14/2013 11:30am

staff

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Also in order to (theoretically) replace the shooter's skill, the system would need to accept feedback regarding actual impact of shots. There are so many variables that go into a long shot. The shooter has to be able to adjust when they make all their calculations and their shot is still off. The technology needs to be able to make this adjustment as well.
    Indeed, whether to aim off or make the physical sight adjustments is always a judgement call based on circumstances and requires cognitive thought process.

~Ella Wheeler
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123