Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/14/2013 11:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry about the multiple posts, fellas. At the time of those postings, it didn't appear that my posts were going through. If a moderator would like to delete posts #50 and #51, that'd be great as post #49 is sufficient. Again, sorry about all that.

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 10:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ What he said. In my case, # 51 and #59 are basically the same post (the commonly-used technique mentioned is different, but the intended point is the same), and both are there for the same reason as has been cited by other posters.

Mod: if you can, please delete one, the other, or both. Thanks.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 12:06pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Because members here like discussing both semantics and nomenclature. It's tied to the "need to classify everything" gene that seems prevalent in many geeks martial artists.
    This.

Its also a verified fact that pushups and meditation disrupt that particular gene.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 12:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinKiK View Post
    This may be the wrong website to bring up this argument due to the stigma that the phrase "traditional martial art" carries to some here. But here goes...

Let's say 100 years from now if Gracie Jiu-jitsu is still around (or the earth for that matter) would it then be classified as a "Traditional Martial Art?"

It can't just be how old a martial art is that determines its label as a TMA. Muay Thai is older than TKD, but it's not really thought of as a TMA. So the question is, what exactly makes a martial art traditional.

I have my own ideas which I'll post once I get back from teaching some 1st and 2nd graders TMA for 90 minutes. But I'm interested in hearing everyone else's thoughts.
    I don't think the stigma is about traditional rather 'dead' training with accompanying delusions of efficiency based on the 'authority' of it being traditional. 'Traditional' being synonymous with 'well it wouldn't have lasted this long if it didn't work' and 'in the old days people killed with this style' type thinking.

This site has pretty much got it right already IMO, there is the CMA forum the JMA and KMA etc and that kinda works for me. People within their respective arts can get in each others faces about 'lineage' and all that as they wish. The important distinctions round here is how you train in your art considering the claims you make for it. Maybe the forum headings could change to something like Omega suggested with one for 'Classical Fighting Arts' or maybe 'Culturally Based Martial Arts' or something..instead of TMA?

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 1:51pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Here, I'll spell it out for everybody and tell you which arts are traditional and which arts are MMA (Full-contact or Alive would be a better name, but I'll go with MMA because that's what self-proclaimed traditional martial artists would call them). I think this is the only way we can really go about things, and when we reach a point of contention the discussion can progress from there.

-Traditional
    Aikido
    Ninjutsu
    Most styles of karate
    Most styles of kung-fu
    Taekwondo
    Hapkido (And related Korean styles)
    Silat
    Japanese Jiu-Jitsu

-MMA
    Boxing
    Judo (Used to be traditional until MMA took off. Now it's been disavowed by traditionalists because it's a grappling art)
    Muay Thai
    BJJ
    Kickboxing
    Wrestling
    SAMBO
    Kyokushin and off-shoots (Except those who consider themselves traditional)
    Savate
    Sanda

Along with TMA and MMA, the other classifications for martial arts are Str33t and Weapons. Str33t martial arts are defined by the disapproval of sport and traditional methods, although there's some crossover between traditional and Str33t mentalities (Mainly, the disapproval of sport methods).

-Str33t
    Krav Maga
    Systema
    San Soo
    SCARS

-Weapons
    Fencing
    Kendo
    Eskrima/Kali
    Renaissance fencing
    Explain for me how a Japanese MA which was created AFTER the end of the warring classes were outlawed by their own Government and, within a long term period of peace; can those systems be considered "traditional" when they are very much "modern" in terms of age.
    Last edited by Rock Ape; 1/15/2013 1:58pm at .
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 1:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Explain for me how a Japanese MA which was created AFTER the end of the warring classes were outlawed by their own Government and, within a long term period of peace; can those systems be considered "traditional" when they are very much "modern" in terms of age.
    Explain how a modern martial art cannot be traditional.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 4:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's totally irrelevant. The "traditional" label is based solely on the misperceptions of the people who practice the art, not the reality of how young the art actually is.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 4:34pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fucktards still talking about this?

Yup.

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 4:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    Fucktards still talking about this?

Yup.
    Good thing Errant didn't post anything on this fucktard thread.

Yup.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 6:12pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have thought that 'traditional' martial arts are named so because they appeal to their tradition, no matter how old, in order to claim legitimacy. 'Modern' MA claims its legitimacy through competition and trial and error; RBSD, for example, claims legitimacy usually by invoking imagery from action hero's, glorified 'rogues', and other cultural icons and concepts.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast