Administrator

Posted On:
    1/12/2013 6:33pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    I'm starting to think the entire term is useless. The more you try to stick a specific definition on it, the more the definition fails to apply to anything, or, alternately, encompasses everything. Alive/non-alive is a clear distinction, whereas traditional and... well, what? Contemporary? Practical? Competitive? There is no effective antonym.
    Antonym?

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    1/12/2013 6:49pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Many of the once thousands of bujutsu-ryu ha are now extinct, most of them because the headmasters and retainers of those systems were eventually killed by better headmasters and retainers of other (and often better) schools. That's the way it worked then through roughly 300 years of continuous internal warfare.
    This pretty well sums up the history of CMA too. Ancient China was a meatgrinder of fighting styles.

Shitty styles didn't get humiliated: you were brutally beaten to death or chopped to pieces. Your students decided they needed to find a new master.

And once peacetime approached, the focus became less life or death skills and more personal development, spiritual growth, etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2013 8:11pm

Style: MMA / crosstraining

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really it seems that the term has little use in actual categorizing or grouping a bunch of arts together by any useful set of criteria. It could be considered taxonomically redundant as a term and perhaps a new term or new terms will spring up to replace it in time.

Perhaps one of the reasons that the 'Traditional' label has managed to survive, its memetic quality so to speak, is that it in conjures up an image of martial arts style that are of a similar mindset in the mind of the person using the term.

For example when people say traditional do they really mean that in their experience practitioners of the arts make appeals to authority style arguments when trying to justify the validity of their style, using the age of a technique or style (quite often falsely) or the fact that it has been done like that for generations, quoting masters and grand-masters, and placing time served as more important that technical ability, or making assumptions that time served equals technical ability. Instead of making they arguments based on sparring and competition.

It's about the only reason i can think of for the term still being in use, that it goes someway towards describing the typical practitioner, rather than actually describing the arts being practiced.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2013 8:13pm

Style: MMA / crosstraining

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really it seems that the term has little use in actual categorizing or grouping a bunch of arts together by any useful set of criteria. It could be considered taxonomically redundant as a term and perhaps a new term or new terms will spring up to replace it in time.

Perhaps one of the reasons that the 'Traditional' label has managed to survive, its memetic quality so to speak, is that it in conjures up an image of martial arts style that are of a similar mindset in the mind of the person using the term.

For example when people say traditional do they really mean that in their experience practitioners of the arts make appeals to authority style arguments when trying to justify the validity of their style, using the age of a technique or style (quite often falsely) or the fact that it has been done like that for generations, quoting masters and grand-masters, and placing time served as more important that technical ability, or making assumptions that time served equals technical ability. Instead of making they arguments based on sparring and competition.

It's about the only reason i can think of for the term still being in use, that it goes someway towards describing the typical practitioner, rather than actual describe the arts practiced.

Posted On:
    1/12/2013 10:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does it have a sport that goes with it? Yes not traditional No then it is traditional even invented yesterday as long as it has an oriental name.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2013 10:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here, I'll spell it out for everybody and tell you which arts are traditional and which arts are MMA (Full-contact or Alive would be a better name, but I'll go with MMA because that's what self-proclaimed traditional martial artists would call them). I think this is the only way we can really go about things, and when we reach a point of contention the discussion can progress from there.

-Traditional
    Aikido
    Ninjutsu
    Most styles of karate
    Most styles of kung-fu
    Taekwondo
    Hapkido (And related Korean styles)
    Silat
    Japanese Jiu-Jitsu

-MMA
    Boxing
    Judo (Used to be traditional until MMA took off. Now it's been disavowed by traditionalists because it's a grappling art)
    Muay Thai
    BJJ
    Kickboxing
    Wrestling
    SAMBO
    Kyokushin and off-shoots (Except those who consider themselves traditional)
    Savate
    Sanda

Along with TMA and MMA, the other classifications for martial arts are Str33t and Weapons. Str33t martial arts are defined by the disapproval of sport and traditional methods, although there's some crossover between traditional and Str33t mentalities (Mainly, the disapproval of sport methods).

-Str33t
    Krav Maga
    Systema
    San Soo
    SCARS

-Weapons
    Fencing
    Kendo
    Eskrima/Kali
    Renaissance fencing

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2013 10:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to say, I really think the term was either born out of ignorance or made up to contrast with sport martial arts. Back in my Tang Soo Do days, my instructor always emphasized how TSD was the "traditional" form of the more sport oriented Taekwondo (I had my doubts about the validity of these "traditional" methods early on, being that the kids from the Taekwondo school we sparred with always seemed to be better than us).

In other contexts, like when a TMA guy is disparaging MMA for example, I think the term is being used under the belife that the style he practices really is older than the styles a mixed martial artist studies (Which is often not true).

Posted On:
    1/12/2013 11:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
    What about SMA? As in Static Martial Arts.
    So then taiji, for example, isn't a static martial art, as there is a "new frame" of the Chen style (an early twentieth century innovation) and a "practical" version of that new frame (a late twentieth century innovation), as well as a "hunyuan" version.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2013 2:11am

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, that's not technically true.

Yes there's a strong association to the "traditional" or old school jujutsu from which Judo was developed however, any martial tradition created in Japan post Meiji Restoration is very much "gendai" - modern and not classical or "traditional" in nature because they have evolved or developed from their origins.

Aikido, Seitie Iaido, some forms of Karate-do etc are all gendai budo but are all strongly based of older classical systems.

"Classical" is a better descriptive however from a Japanese perspective there's already two specific terms which more than adequately define the difference :

Koryu - Old school

Gendai - Modern

The reason why BJJ isn't generally considered traditional is because it is current and relevant to our present era. That's the same as how martial systems in Japan were considered when they were current and relevant to that era
    Given that explanation, I have a question:

If one wanted to try and adapt a koryu art into modern culture, would it still be a koryu art or would it now be considered a gendai art?

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    1/13/2013 5:46am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Again, that's a misconception and not true or accurate description of many old-school systems.
    You seem to be talking about koryu styles, which is something different again. I was trying to give a working definition of that people mean when they say TMA - something that includes genuinely old styles, and the hundreds of kung-fu/karate/jujutsu/whatever styles that were developed last Tuesday, and which claim to be traditional and deadly.

Also I would argue that even with the koryu styles, my definition still applies, as while they may have once been based on doing what works, they are *now* focused on doing things the way they used to be done. It doesn't matter if the way they do things is the best way - developed by trial and error in the battlefield - or something that is completely made up. You get shown the thing, you do it as instructed and if you do it another way, you're wrong.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast