223752 Bullies, 3844 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 31 to 40 of 89
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. jnp is offline
    jnp's Avatar

    Titanium laced beauty

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,226

    Posted On:
    1/12/2013 11:09am

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    TMA is a misnomer though—it basically is a stand-in for "the arts that routinely lost in embarrassing ways in the UFC due to fanciful training, strategies, and overestimations of their own efficacy."
    This is an excellent definition of what TMA meant to most members here on Bullshido for many years. A more generalized one would be TMA equals martial arts that do not train in an alive manner.

    Yes I realize that is not a wholly accurate definition. It is one that most members here ascribed to however.

    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    IMO, the major difference lies in the fact that TMAs are practiced for the purpose of maintaining a cultural heritage, whereas non-TMA is far more fluid with regards to evolution.
    This is a good general definition in my opinion.
    Shut the hell up and train.
  2. Rock Ape is offline
    Rock Ape's Avatar

    Watch and Shoot !

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,128

    Posted On:
    1/12/2013 12:32pm

    staff
     

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Traditional martial arts are ones where they place a emphasis on ritual and tradition. We do things this way because that's the way we've always done them, the old masters created something perfect and we must try and emulate them.
    Again, that's a misconception and not true or accurate description of many old-school systems.

    What you always must bear in mind when discussing the merits or historical nature of koryu is they they are based today on what physically worked then, in the era in which they were relevant and developed for. Today, this is seen as natural selection at its best.

    Many of the once thousands of bujutsu-ryu ha are now extinct, most of them because the headmasters and retainers of those systems were eventually killed by better headmasters and retainers of other (and often better) schools. That's the way it worked then through roughly 300 years of continuous internal warfare.

    This translates today in maintaining those traditions as "living history" not because someone simply says "this is how it must be done" but because that is how it was successfully proven in battle over the course of a very long period of time. Those systems themselves underwent a great deal of development and evolution and it was only during comparative periods of peace that such development slowed. Within those periods and especially after the Meiji Restoration, a greater emphasis was placed on personal development rather than the sole intention of attrition.

    Dave
    Last edited by Rock Ape; 1/12/2013 12:44pm at .
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler
  3. doofaloofa is online now
    doofaloofa's Avatar

    I'm Svelte!

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wesht Cark
    Posts
    1,575

    Posted On:
    1/12/2013 1:36pm

    supporting member
     Style: mma

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Yes I realize that is not a wholly accurate definition. It is one that most members here ascribed to however.
    What ever the definition there will always be some art that bucks the trend

    JFK
    You can please all of the people some of the time...
    I think the general definition that is in force here is a workable one
  4. Ming Loyalist is offline
    Ming Loyalist's Avatar

    solves problems with violence

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,307

    Posted On:
    1/12/2013 2:56pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt View Post
    I have never farmed rice, but I imagine it involves an unholy amount of body-weight squats. Or do you bend over at the waist so you keep your butt dry?
    when i was 18 i went and lived on a self sufficient organic farm in rural japan for 6 weeks. on rainy days we worked the rice paddies because "you're going to get wet anyway, might as well be in a rice paddy."

    my job was weeding, and the way i did it (and i'm not sure i was doing it right, mind you) was to bend at the waist grab a weed, slide my hand along the weed under water and into the mud until i could pull it out by the root, and then collect it in a bag and move on to the next. no squats, and an aching back.

    see, i had been stupid enough to read up on the dangers facing me on a japanese farm, so i had read about these weird parasites that attacked through the soles of your feet, worked their way up your body, and ate your brain. i was so freaked out that i bought tabi to wear in the rice paddy (everyone else went barefoot and told me i was an idiot.) anyway i sure as hell wasn't going to dip my *butthole* into that water, that's for sure.

    come to think of it. the water came up to my mid thighs or a little higher, so squatting might have been really unpleasant. my way at least my head stayed out of the water.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
  5. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,964

    Posted On:
    1/12/2013 2:57pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    This is an excellent definition of what TMA meant to most members here on Bullshido for many years. A more generalized one would be TMA equals martial arts that do not train in an alive manner.

    Yes I realize that is not a wholly accurate definition. It is one that most members here ascribed to however.


    This is a good general definition in my opinion.
    ****, so my kung fu is not tma. I'm good with that.
  6. Psycho Dad is offline
    Psycho Dad's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,259

    Posted On:
    1/12/2013 3:51pm


     Style: BJJ/Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Yeah, just did a thread similar to this right before the holidays. Basically I was saying that we should rename Traditional Martial Arts to something more like "Classical Training Martial Arts".
    What about SMA? As in Static Martial Arts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

    B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.
  7. Holy Moment is online now
    Holy Moment's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Shitsville
    Posts
    4,037

    Posted On:
    1/12/2013 4:07pm

    supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The way I've always thought about it is traditional martial arts are any styles you would think of before you knew about MMA, disincluding sport styles. It always seemed to be a distinction based on self-identification and media representation. A traditional martial art is almost always Asian, typically requires students to wear a gi, belt, sash, robe, and/or ninja mask, and usually has a curriculum based on static drills, forms, and flashy techniques.

    To put it another way, in the past if you told someone you were going to take up a martial art, they would picture you in a gi bowing to the Korean flag while yelling KIAI and getting crane kicked in the head. Nowadays if you say you're taking up an MA, they might think of that, but could also picture you rolling around with a bunch of other sweaty men while simultaneously shooting steroids and getting a tribal tattoo on your face.
    Last edited by Holy Moment; 1/12/2013 4:19pm at .
  8. ermghoti is online now
    ermghoti's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    2,135

    Posted On:
    1/12/2013 4:35pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm starting to think the entire term is useless. The more you try to stick a specific definition on it, the more the definition fails to apply to anything, or, alternately, encompasses everything. Alive/non-alive is a clear distinction, whereas traditional and... well, what? Contemporary? Practical? Competitive? There is no effective antonym.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
  9. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,964

    Posted On:
    1/12/2013 6:05pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kyokushin kai is not TMA
  10. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,964

    Posted On:
    1/12/2013 6:33pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    I'm starting to think the entire term is useless. The more you try to stick a specific definition on it, the more the definition fails to apply to anything, or, alternately, encompasses everything. Alive/non-alive is a clear distinction, whereas traditional and... well, what? Contemporary? Practical? Competitive? There is no effective antonym.
    Antonym?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.