Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I Have No idea what I am doing!

So for some context I am a scrawny assed (60kg/130lbs 5'10"/178cm) Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioner beginner (9 months, 4 stripe white under UBJJ/Ribeiro style grading, which is 4 stripes, yellow/orange/green, 4 stripes is intermediate, green is pre-blue belt). I have not competed and thus far don't really intend to(haven't ruled it out so far). I do spar, sometimes even from standing(the usual start position for my gym is closed guard). This has so far been a fairly enjoyable hobby of mine.

My gym is pure BJJ (although there is at least one, maybe two MMA teams who train their groundwork there), which is good for me since I have issues with the tough guy attitude that, were I to be politic would say "sometimes crops up at MMA gyms", but realistically "is a pervasive and obnoxious attitude running heavily through the art".

I also work full time and have a 'Murican eddycashun from a 'Murican School (Bachelors from a state school in more normal speak). Actually started BJJ there.

So with all this in mind I have some questions:
    1) What is a style? I am still terminally confused on this.

2) I would like to do some weapon arts at some point, I can't afford to get concussed though (dumb enough as is), so I am looking for something that takes "reasonable precautions" to prevent concussions and injury. I have done some SCA stuff and wouldn't mind doing Amt-gard/larping either, but none of those guys seem to drill or train or work timing, the beginners spaz at each other and the advanced guys do stuff that they don't understand and can't explain. Also, clinching as a part would be mad bonus time, I like to wrestle.

3) (I know this may not be the best place for this) does anyone know of a good video of the...I believe it is called Bung Bo or "crushing step" form of northern mantis kung fu? I started learning this form at one point and would like to finish learning it. (No I do not think it will teach me ultimate deadly techniques, I think it looks pretty. Kind of goofy with the mantis hooks, but whatever.)

Style
    bjj/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, welcome to Bullshido. Competing is a lot of the fun of training, and hopefully you'll change your mind on it further down the road.

So, answering numerically

1. Style is what you are training in. In your case, you would put bjj, or grappling, whatever.

2. My experience with weapons is very limited, however arnis/escrima schools, while training very much alive, take precautions and while you will get hit, if you wear the proper protection and train in a good place, serious injury is the exception, not the rule, much like bjj.

3. I have no knowledge of kung fu, so I'll leave this one alone, I'm surprised you haven't been able to find it on youtube.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. For weapon work, I'd recommend looking into Filipino martial arts in your area. Places where they train with fencing masks or other good headgear means that they understand the value of sparring. Southeast Asia has quite a few blade arts that have been used f0r r34l in recent history, but the Filipino ones are less likely to contain unneccessarily contorted stances, animism, focus on forms, and the supernatural (actually, those are mostly things I'd associate with silat). In general, Southeast Asian arts are going to use weapons more like what people actually use today (excluding firearms)- impact weapons and blades generally shorter than a sword. If you're into the SCA stuff, maybe look into the local SCA group or ARMA, another one that focuses on Western fighting tradition.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you start looking into Filipino arts done with aliveness, you'll probably find some video of the Dog Brothers gatherings:

And you might go "holy crap, that looks like I'll get concussed- no thank you".

First, I'll say that I'm a big fan of them, and yes I've been injured doing that stuff. But the vast, vast majority of FMA people don't train that way all the time, if at all. The spectrum goes from guys who just drill with sticks, to guys that fight in those sorts of events, and everything in between. Some groups, like mine, tend to spar with a ruleset of whatever tournament's coming up. That can mean continuous sparring with armor and live rattan, or safety goggles and foam training knives.

My point is that safety is a big concern within the FMA community, like it should be in all martial arts. Hard fighting events like the Dog Brothers are more of an exception than a norm in FMA, and you will most likely never be encouraged to fight in something where you're likely to be injured, unless you get some crazy teacher. But if you do want to stickfight with clinchwork, throws, strikes, groundfighting etc, there's a venue for that.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    If you start looking into Filipino arts done with aliveness, you'll probably find some video of the Dog Brothers gatherings:

And you might go "holy crap, that looks like I'll get concussed- no thank you".

First, I'll say that I'm a big fan of them, and yes I've been injured doing that stuff. But the vast, vast majority of FMA people don't train that way all the time, if at all. The spectrum goes from guys who just drill with sticks, to guys that fight in those sorts of events, and everything in between. Some groups, like mine, tend to spar with a ruleset of whatever tournament's coming up. That can mean continuous sparring with armor and live rattan, or safety goggles and foam training knives.

My point is that safety is a big concern within the FMA community, like it should be in all martial arts. Hard fighting events like the Dog Brothers are more of an exception than a norm in FMA, and you will most likely never be encouraged to fight in something where you're likely to be injured, unless you get some crazy teacher. But if you do want to stickfight with clinchwork, throws, strikes, groundfighting etc, there's a venue for that.
    Thanks for the vid, that's quite confidence boosting about that art.

For some reason I had a vision of the dog brothers doing no protective gear at all, shirtless "aliveness 11" style stuff, that seemed relatively controlled.

For reference Belegarth(and their sister...whatever it's called) don't use facemasks(although they absolutely should), as a padded weapon is apparently safe enough? Realize this isn't foam padding like at a craft store, but the thick stiff stuff like in mma gloves or on grappling mats.

Watching that video makes me realize how dangerous what they do is. I will never forget reading online someone saying "I don't like the idea of being punched, it's not like you can hit someone with a stick as hard as you can punch them". That uninformed mentality on how to properly strike is part of my desire to find real instructors(and the fact that they are a case study in "there's more to training then sparring").