Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2014 4:15pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Full sized vs Compact for open carry

Hey team.

I recently got my open carry permit for my security job and am looking at some options for pistols. I like a lot of the CZ line and the clones that are available. But I am curious what opinions are on size for a all-shift carry weapon. Is full sized overkill? Is a compact more practical or does it come down to what is comfortable for the individual?
    I have shot a decent number of hand guns but not owned my own, and never had to carry one all day before. Suggestions are welcome. Also: I am a pretty big dude. I found 1911s surprisingly tiny the first time I handled one.

Posted On:
    10/18/2014 10:04pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're open carrying, you're a big guy, and you aren't overly inconvenienced by the weight or size of it during the course of your duties, go full sized.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2014 12:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    If you're open carrying, you're a big guy, and you aren't overly inconvenienced by the weight or size of it during the course of your duties, go full sized.
    That is what I was thinking. Might see if I can find a CZ 75 p-09 (or if I can find a used sp-01, which is my ideal choice at the moment).

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    10/19/2014 1:41am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    If concealment isn't an issue, the capacity and accuracy of a full-sized handgun would be enough to convince me. IMHO, a full-sized weapon is the way to go.

Posted On:
    10/19/2014 2:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Comfort is important, think of how many hours your going to be carrying day in and day out.
    Hell I would put comfort out in front of performance.
    Lets be honest, your job is to look imposing.
    Your a deterrent, the odds that you are going to get into a fire fight are slim to none.
    You have to also to really consider the situation before you even draw your fire arm.
    Is it even fucking worth it? Your not making enough to get into a fire fight so it really comes down to do you have to draw your weapon to protect yourself **** what ever your being paid a **** wage to guard.
    They can have what your guarding even say if your doing CIT.
    So get what ever is going to make your shift go by better.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    10/19/2014 2:38pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Comfort is important, think of how many hours your going to be carrying day in and day out.
    Valid point; comfort is a factor.
    Hell I would put comfort out in front of performance.
    Lets be honest, your job is to look imposing.
    Your a deterrent, the odds that you are going to get into a fire fight are slim to none.
    You have to also to really consider the situation before you even draw your fire arm.
    Here, I disagree. His job is secondary, his primary responsibility is to go home to his family after each shift in the same condition he went to work in.
    Is it even fucking worth it? Your not making enough to get into a fire fight so it really comes down to do you have to draw your weapon to protect yourself **** what ever your being paid a **** wage to guard.
    If it is that easy, I would agree. It doesn't matter how much some is making, their life is worth a lot more.
    They can have what your guarding even say if your doing CIT.
    So get what ever is going to make your shift go by better.
    If it is possible to find a firearm that is comfortable to carry, dependable and accurate, that is the absolute correct choice.

Posted On:
    10/19/2014 2:50pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Valid point; comfort is a factor.
    Here, I disagree. His job is secondary, his primary responsibility is to go home to his family after each shift in the same condition he went to work in.
    I completely agree with this, and for the most part was my point.

Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    If it is possible to find a firearm that is comfortable to carry, dependable and accurate, that is the absolute correct choice.
    I am sure, sorry to make this assumption but I am assuming we are working with a some what limited budget.

However I kid you guys not, I have had one Armed Guard show up with a
    9mm AR15 Pistol once.

I have no idea if it was legal for him to do so or fell inside of the scope of his companies policies but I was happy to see him their with it as I was working on a full machine at a truck stop that was just this side of the Mexican border.
    Not that I give a **** its not my money and who ever wants it can have it.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2014 2:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the further input! I appreciate it. Part of the reason I lean toward the CZ 75 p-09 over their other full sized offerings is the lighter weight of the polymer frame for all day carry. I'm in California, so capacity is pretty much a non factor (locked at 10 rounds in the mag/chamber but as many mags as I want to bother to carry).

From my research it seems like the whole CZ line is comfortable handle and shoot, and really masks recoil well. This is an added bonus as I would also be using the pistol for home defense and would want my wife to be able to shoot it comfortably as well (she is pretty big for a lady - 5'9" - and grew up with guns, so I'm comfortable with her being ok with a full sized poly 9mm). Before I decide we are going to spend some time at the range shooting a few options and figure out what feels best to me and her.

As far as using the weapon in a real situation: if I never have to, perfect. But I want something reliable enough that if worst comes to worst, I have a reliable weapon at my side that I can fire accurately... which I know mostly means range time and getting comfortable with the weapon, but is also why I am willing to spend a bit more to get something in the high-quality duty category.

Posted On:
    10/20/2014 3:08am

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally like the Walther PPX so give that one a go at the range.
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...w-walther-ppx/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2014 2:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally like the Walther PPX so give that one a go at the range.
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...w-walther-ppx/
    Will do, I have seen that one recommended enough times that it, too, is on the short list of stuff to try.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast