Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    6/20/2014 11:14am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

A companion for all of my sharp things. A really high end sling shot.

I picked this up, along with my CCW. Good thing I am a big fat fucker, because I can carry this beast and still keep it concealed.

Springfield XDM 5.25 .40S&W. It sends a lot of lead downrange before I have to reload. 16+1 of .40S&W. I am ordering a 9mm Conversion barrel and then I have 19+1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Posted On:
    6/20/2014 1:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    Springfield XDM 5.25 .40S&W. It sends a lot of lead downrange before I have to reload. 16+1 of .40S&W. I am ordering a 9mm Conversion barrel and then I have 19+1.
    17 rounds of .40 vs 20 rounds of 9mm that is a tough choice.

Posted On:
    6/20/2014 9:39pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats on the purchase! Springfield makes a nice pistol. I'd definitely recommend converting to 9mm. I don't have a ton of use for 40 S&W, personally. Good 9mm defensive ammunition will do what you need it to do (Federal HST 124 or 147 grain standard pressure would be my preference) with lower recoil and higher capacity. Most importantly, it's cheaper to shoot, so you'll shoot it more.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    6/25/2014 12:00pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    Congrats on the purchase! Springfield makes a nice pistol. I'd definitely recommend converting to 9mm. I don't have a ton of use for 40 S&W, personally. Good 9mm defensive ammunition will do what you need it to do (Federal HST 124 or 147 grain standard pressure would be my preference) with lower recoil and higher capacity. Most importantly, it's cheaper to shoot, so you'll shoot it more.
    Thanks, I got the .40 specifically so I can get 9mm and .357 sig conversion barrels for diversity. The 9mm was going to be what I carry most of the time, and you are right it is much cheaper to shoot than .40. I plan on reloading later on down the road, since I do like shooting .40. It will go nicely with a can and sub-sonic rounds (180gr or heavier) for HD.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l

Posted On:
    6/25/2014 4:07pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    Thanks, I got the .40 specifically so I can get 9mm and .357 sig conversion barrels for diversity. The 9mm was going to be what I carry most of the time, and you are right it is much cheaper to shoot than .40. I plan on reloading later on down the road, since I do like shooting .40. It will go nicely with a can and sub-sonic rounds (180gr or heavier) for HD.
    Those are the absolute best reasons to purchase a weapon chambered in .40 S&W that I have encountered. My plan for a suppressed home defense weapon is a suppressed SBR AR15 chambered in 300BLK. 30 round mags full of 220 grain subsonic awesomeness.

Pretty cool man, thanks for sharing your use case.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/06/2014 9:57pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The .40 was the cool kid on the block for a while. Now the cool kids have stopped inviting him to the party. Whatever. I'm not fanatical about cartridge choice. Hell, I can't tell that much difference when I'm shooting a 9mm, .40 or .45 to be honest. The ballistics of the various rounds and loadings are well documented and beaten into the ground. I think it's stupid to argue about. I like them all.

I've had a Sig P2340 for years and shot the **** out of it. Still carry it all the time. Love it.

I can tell you I definitely would not spend the money to convert a .40 to 9mm for the sake of three fucking extra rounds when I've already got 17. lol.

As for the difference in ammo price, 9mm is definitely cheaper but what's the cost vs the benefit of buying a 9mm conversion? What are you going to spend on the conversion? A couple hundred bucks? How much do you shoot? At about a $10 difference per hundred rounds, it will take about 2,000 rounds of Winchester white trash for the conversion to pay for itself.
    Last edited by Devil; 7/06/2014 10:04pm at .

Posted On:
    7/07/2014 6:03pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    The .40 was the cool kid on the block for a while. Now the cool kids have stopped inviting him to the party. Whatever. I'm not fanatical about cartridge choice. Hell, I can't tell that much difference when I'm shooting a 9mm, .40 or .45 to be honest. The ballistics of the various rounds and loadings are well documented and beaten into the ground. I think it's stupid to argue about. I like them all.

I've had a Sig P2340 for years and shot the **** out of it. Still carry it all the time. Love it.

I can tell you I definitely would not spend the money to convert a .40 to 9mm for the sake of three fucking extra rounds when I've already got 17. lol.

As for the difference in ammo price, 9mm is definitely cheaper but what's the cost vs the benefit of buying a 9mm conversion? What are you going to spend on the conversion? A couple hundred bucks? How much do you shoot? At about a $10 difference per hundred rounds, it will take about 2,000 rounds of Winchester white trash for the conversion to pay for itself.
    I wouldn't say I hate .40, but I wouldn't personally go out of my way to buy a handgun chambered in it. If I dug around bullshido, I believe I could find a thread where I insisted that 5.56 and 9mm are worthless and that I absolutely needed a modern sporting rifle in .308 and a pistol in .40. Years, deployments, and thousands of rounds later . . . I own zero .308 rifles, zero .40 pistols, 1 AR-15 spr/3gun build in 5.56, and 1 glock 19. But, if .40 was cheaper to shoot than 9mm, that's what I'd own. In states with restrictive handgun laws, buying conversion barrels for existing/grandfathered pistols could make a lot of sense, though.

Either way, I enjoy the thought the OP put into his purchase, and am curious how his suppression plan works out.

Posted On:
    8/06/2014 10:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, the XDM lasted me a month before I found someone who offered me a trade. My Springfield for their Sig P229 in .40. I jumped on it, since I love the way the Sig shoots over the XDM. Being the Sig is smaller and easier to carry also made my decision a lot easier. I have to convert it to DA/SA since it is a former PD gun (DAO). After that I will send out out for Cerakote.

In the meantime, I ordered an SP2022 in .40 as my carry while the P229 goes under the knife.