Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The BFR revolvers in 45/70 or .500, have you shot one?

I am interested in maybe getting one. Has anyone ever shot one? Pros vs cons etc.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I am interested in maybe getting one. Has anyone ever shot one? Pros vs cons etc.
    LOL, would break my womanly, arthritic wrists...

I suggest you get one of these if you are feeling manly...

or better yet, one of these babies...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I owned a BFR for years in 45-70 with the 10 inch barrel.

I used it with metal sights for a couple years and then had it scoped.

The 45-70 round tends to have a rainbow trajectory that requires a lot of practice on that short barrel to get to good brush hunting accuracy comparable to a shotgun slug.

The 45-70 is an expensive round.

Many ranges have issues with you firing the 45-70 on their range.

Having a pistol with the potential to be an accurate large game hunting weapon out to 50 yards or even 100 yards has a lot of attractions,

especially for someone like me who frequently relies on a cane to walk (a pistol in a holster is an easier form factor to tote than a rifle).

Shooting sticks highly recommended / mandatory for hunting with it - at least for me.

I migrated to 357 magnum for my hunting sidearm because I wasn't practicing enough with the 45-70 for all the reasons I mentioned above

BUT I am still thinking about getting another BFR 10 inch revolver this time in the caliber of 30-30 with the hornady revolution polymer tipped 30-30 round to see how accurate I can get with a flatter shooting, less expensive round, that I can in theory practice with at many more indoor (and of course outdoor) ranges.

In 45-70 the BFR 10 inch was a wonderful revolver...The weight of it really reduces felt recoil to a very manageable level.

I hated letting my BFR go, but I was frustrated that I was not living up to its potential due to the hassles with getting enough shooting time with it on a weekly basis.

So, I traded my BFR after years of happy ownership in for some other firearms that I also wanted.

Let me know if you get one and how it goes.

The 45-70 BFR matches nicely with the Marlin SBL (for short range) or Marlin XLR (longer range) for beautiful rifle platforms in the same caliber with a complementary cowboy feel.

Between those platforms you could take on just about any big game with the right round in those weapons, from Africa to Alaska.

If you can manage to get in more regular practice with them than I did...
    Last edited by WFMurphyPhD; 12/21/2016 6:22pm at .

Style
    Pramek | Sambo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My dad has a S&W 500 revolver and it's honestly absurd. First of all it's expensive to fire and depending on your location ammo can be hard to find. The biggest thing though is it is absolutely not fun to shoot. The recoil is extreme and can be painful (I have arthritis in my hand/wrist) and the blowback feels like getting punched in the nose. He bought it to hunt with and thinks it's fun, but he's a physical abnormality of a man.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    I owned a BFR for years in 45-70 with the 10 inch barrel.

I used it with metal sights for a couple years and then had it scoped.

The 45-70 round tends to have a rainbow trajectory that requires a lot of practice on that short barrel to get to good brush hunting accuracy comparable to a shotgun slug.

The 45-70 is an expensive round.

Many ranges have issues with you firing the 45-70 on their range.

Having a pistol with the potential to be an accurate large game hunting weapon out to 50 yards or even 100 yards has a lot of attractions,

especially for someone like me who frequently relies on a cane to walk (a pistol in a holster is an easier form factor to tote than a rifle).

Shooting sticks highly recommended / mandatory for hunting with it - at least for me.

I migrated to 357 magnum for my hunting sidearm because I wasn't practicing enough with the 45-70 for all the reasons I mentioned above

BUT I am still thinking about getting another BFR 10 inch revolver this time in the caliber of 30-30 with the hornady revolution polymer tipped 30-30 round to see how accurate I can get with a flatter shooting, less expensive round, that I can in theory practice with at many more indoor (and of course outdoor) ranges.

In 45-70 the BFR 10 inch was a wonderful revolver...The weight of it really reduces felt recoil to a very manageable level.

I hated letting my BFR go, but I was frustrated that I was not living up to its potential due to the hassles with getting enough shooting time with it on a weekly basis.

So, I traded my BFR after years of happy ownership in for some other firearms that I also wanted.

Let me know if you get one and how it goes.

The 45-70 BFR matches nicely with the Marlin SBL (for short range) or Marlin XLR (longer range) for beautiful rifle platforms in the same caliber with a complementary cowboy feel.

Between those platforms you could take on just about any big game with the right round in those weapons, from Africa to Alaska.

If you can manage to get in more regular practice with them than I did...
    Thanks Murphy! I really appreciate the info. I have a .454 but I have to buy ammo online and i just don't have time made time to learn to reload. I would like to have the option to just go to the Walmart and buy ammo.
    45/70 is an expensive but common round.

Have you hunted with 30/30 before? Do you like it for local game?

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey View Post
    My dad has a S&W 500 revolver and it's honestly absurd. First of all it's expensive to fire and depending on your location ammo can be hard to find. The biggest thing though is it is absolutely not fun to shoot. The recoil is extreme and can be painful (I have arthritis in my hand/wrist) and the blowback feels like getting punched in the nose. He bought it to hunt with and thinks it's fun, but he's a physical abnormality of a man.
    You know how Rayce posts, I'd say he would fit right in with you Dad...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    LOL, would break my womanly, arthritic wrists...

I suggest you get one of these if you are feeling manly...

or better yet, one of these babies...
    I have a Blackhawk in 44. And a Super Redhawk in .454.
    I am looking hard at That airlite. 44 in 4inch.

Style
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Murphy! I really appreciate the info. I have a .454 but I have to buy ammo online and i just don't have time made time to learn to reload. I would like to have the option to just go to the Walmart and buy ammo.
    45/70 is an expensive but common round.

Have you hunted with 30/30 before? Do you like it for local game?
    It is a lot of fun to take wild pigs with a 30-30 lever rifle.

I have had the pleasure of taking a pig or two with a basic marlin 30-30 with iron sights.

The Hornady Lever Revolution 30-30 round extends the effective range quite a bit if you practice with it.

I also took quite a small buck with my Marlin XLR 45-70 before I traded that rifle in along with my BFR for some 357 magnum general purpose pistols.

A lot of deer have been taken across this nation with the 30-30 round.

Between a stock Walmart Marlin 30-30 with iron sights and a stock Walmart Remington 700 in 30-06

(both of those rifles come ready to shoot from Walmart for around $400 each),

there is not much you can't do, especially if you throw in a decent shotgun and .22 rifle to the mix.

PS - avoid the Remington 770, which Walmart also sells.
    The Remington 770 is not the same platform as the Remington 700 and not worth the slight discount saved compared to getting the Remington 700.

I have taken more game with my Walmart $400 Remington 700 30-06 than all of my other firearms combined.
    Last edited by WFMurphyPhD; 12/21/2016 6:48pm at .

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    It is a lot of fun to take wild pigs with a 30-30 lever rifle.
    I was curious of your thoughts on pigs with the 30/30.
    I am a firm believer in overkill so I have always skipped over the round and either went to .308 or 30/06 or 7.62x54 for my 30 cal. I know a lot of people like the 30/30 but I can't ever remember shooting one.

Style
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was curious of your thoughts on pigs with the 30/30.
    I am a firm believer in overkill so I have always skipped over the round and either went to .308 or 30/06 or 7.62x54 for my 30 cal. I know a lot of people like the 30/30 but I can't ever remember shooting one.
    The 30-30 is strictly for hunting ranges of less than 100 yards

(or less than 200 yards with the new polymer tipped versions of the 30-30 round such as the Hornady Lever Revolution).

But there is a certain nostalgic charm to taking a lever action rifle with iron sights and filling your freezer full of meat with it,

especially if you are hunting in a brush/swamp and not along a citrus grove lane where farther shots might be available.
    Last edited by WFMurphyPhD; 12/21/2016 6:54pm at .

Page 1 of 3 123 Last