Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/09/2013 11:22pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question for LEO, pointing weapon at people?

Curiosity question here: what are the rules, policies, guidelines for pointing a weapon at someone? I have read lots of articles regarding use of deadly force; I am referring to aiming and pointing a weapon only.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 1:24am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Curiosity question here: what are the rules, policies, guidelines for pointing a weapon at someone? I have read lots of articles regarding use of deadly force
    The person having the weapon pointed at them must pose an immediate and imminent risk of death or great bodily harm to the officer or another person.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 4:56am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Question to the original poster, is your inquiry from a civilian gun owner's perspective IE where you stand in terms of the law if required to deploy a weapon or, a policy which LEO's must follow when they deploy their weapons in the course of their duties ?
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 9:03am

Style: bjj/judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Common sense should trump all in the this case: Don't point your weapon at someone unless you intend to use it.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 9:31am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldiermedic View Post
    Common sense should trump all in the this case: Don't point your weapon at someone unless you intend to use it.

Winning post!! /thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 9:51am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldiermedic View Post
    This is always a correct answer, but in this case, too easy. The OP asked for rules, policies, and guidelines pertaining to the application of deadly force.

The common sense thing doesn't always come into play because some people lack it and nobody can teach it.

Always treat all firearms as if they are loaded.
    Never point a firearm at anything you are not prepared to destroy.

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 10:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Question to the original poster, is your inquiry from a civilian gun owner's perspective IE where you stand in terms of the law if required to deploy a weapon or, a policy which LEO's must follow when they deploy their weapons in the course of their duties ?
    Curiosity question only with no practical application to myself or any non law enforcement situation. Obviously law enforcement aims weapons at people without pulling the trigger so I figured there was guidelines for this which slamdunc posted. I figure pointing a weapon at a restrained suspect would get you in trouble but suspects in a car would be justified even if you don't intend to shoot unless they do something.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 10:07am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read OP as "when is it acceptable to point a weapon at somebody when you're not intending to fire." The answer is never. You should never take aim solely for the purpose of scaring somebody; there will certainly be instances when firing is not necessary because you've taken aim, however.

It's a two-step process. You decide to use deadly force to stop an aggressor from whatever behavior you're trying to stop. If it works out that you don't have to actually pull the trigger, great, but pointing the weapon is an intent to shoot, not an empty threat.

(insert some disclaimer here about IANAL and follow the laws in your own locality, etc.)

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 10:49am

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Should have clarified in original post: I am referring to pointing a weapon in a law enforcement setting only. Curious about training relate to this. I will give an absurd example: pointing weapons at every driver in a DUI checkpoint would not be allowed.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 11:31am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Should have clarified in original post: I am referring to pointing a weapon in a law enforcement setting only. Curious about training relate to this. I will give an absurd example: pointing weapons at every driver in a DUI checkpoint would not be allowed.
    Thanks for the clarification as I read your post to basically refer to anyone deploying without the intention of discharging.

There's an obvious difference between deploying to ready one's self (but not pointing or aiming) and the act of physical aiming.

From a civilian perspective (I realize you're asking for an LEO perspective) if you're CCW certified and pull your fire arm, this would be considered "brandishing" However, I would expect an LEO to be in a position to legally draw his/her weapon under certain situations (in readiness) but the weapon isn't aimed at the individual concerned.

LEO could you confirm the above ?
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast