--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Accident double post

Posted On:
    1/22/2013 9:17pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by animlmthr View Post
    Anyway, no one else posted it so here you go. Im interested in your guy's opinions as you all have been pretty reasonable about this case. I also apologize for typos or whatever; typing on this iphone sucks ass.
    Someone posted it in a new thread:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119638

Haven't read it properly yet, what I did read though (re 1989 case) was more talk about 'going' to tell 'just the truth' than actually addressing what happened. Which then just referenced the final verdict without explanation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2013 9:26pm

Style: SAMBO, jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah thats what I took from it. Typical avoidance or distraction of the topic

Thanks for the heads up on the other thread too

Posted On:
    1/22/2013 9:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm glad that he addressed the community. I know that a lot of people are going to punch holes in anything he says at this point, but it took a lot of courage to come out and say what he did. No one likes their past hovering over them, and it sucks that this is how it had to come to light. I think everyone deserves a chance, and he has done a lot of good things for the BJJ / MMA Community. Once again a lot of folks may not agree, I DO NOT train at a Llyod Irvin school. In fact I instruct at a school at competes in his market. However, we all grow up we change and we learn from our mistakes. We have to look at the whole person in my opinion not the mistakes we made on a drunken night over 20 years ago.

In my humble opinion.

Posted On:
    1/22/2013 9:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJay80 View Post
    I'm glad that he addressed the community. I know that a lot of people are going to punch holes in anything he says at this point, but it took a lot of courage to come out and say what he did. No one likes their past hovering over them, and it sucks that this is how it had to come to light. I think everyone deserves a chance, and he has done a lot of good things for the BJJ / MMA Community. Once again a lot of folks may not agree, I DO NOT train at a Llyod Irvin school. In fact I instruct at a school at competes in his market. However, we all grow up we change and we learn from our mistakes. We have to look at the whole person in my opinion not the mistakes we made on a drunken night over 20 years ago.

In my humble opinion.
    Except he didn't say what he did. Even if you believe his testimony from the trial, he tried to participate in a gang rape and only failed because he had whiskey dick. That's the argument that got him acquitted. His letter today doesn't say that. It says "I didn't rape her", and goes off on self-aggrandizing tangents about how his family is getting harassed and so on. (I haven't heard anyone call for this or brag about having done so; I am skeptical.)

I'm all for letting something from twenty years ago be buried. But it must be done so with proper respect for that victim, with a full accounting of that crime. That is not what we see in Lloyd's letter today. This was an evasion, a sidestepping, an attempt to clear the air without making the necessary admissions.

As a side note, I think GracieMag's statement, which came out before Lloyd's, is shameful. It tosses in a token sentence of the tiniest sympathy for the victim (really, it should be victims plural--2013's and 1989's) before launching a full-throated defense of Lloyd Irvin, Mateo Moldanado, and Nick Schultz. Lucas Atalla and GracieMag are despicable. The best they can come up with is "well these two guys didn't get convicted yet...and Lloyd's been real swell with helping big tournaments...I don't know about what happened back in 1989...and gosh, he's never raped me...so he must be okay."
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/22/2013 9:44pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm glad that he addressed the community. I know that a lot of people are going to punch holes in anything he says at this point, but it took a lot of courage to come out and say what he did. No one likes their past hovering over them, and it sucks that this is how it had to come to light. I think everyone deserves a chance, and he has done a lot of good things for the BJJ / MMA Community. Once again a lot of folks may not agree, I DO NOT train at a Llyod Irvin school. In fact I instruct at a school at competes in his market. However, we all grow up we change and we learn from our mistakes.

In my humble opinion.
    You know what? I was following your point until you posted this:
    We have to look at the whole person in my opinion not the mistakes we made on a drunken night over 20 years ago.
    A drunken mistake? Really? Sorry, no I do not know what happened, but this is some blame shifting belittling bullshit.

Posted On:
    1/22/2013 10:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    You know what? I was following your point until you posted this:
    A drunken mistake? Really? Sorry, no I do not know what happened, but this is some blame shifting belittling bullshit.
    You're right, but a mistake is a mistake. You can't take it back but you can move forward from it. I have plenty of friends that made piss poor decisions on a drunk night out on the town... no one raped anyone thank god but mistakes have been made. I don't agree with or condone what happened but I can't judge the man. I've done some terrible **** under the guise of "following orders" and it sucks. No its not the same but he has to live with it so I get it. At least he stood up and said yeah it was me, you got me. He didn't have to but he did, so while I may not agree with everything he wrote he addressed the issue.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/22/2013 10:13pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're right, but a mistake is a mistake.
    Bullshit. There are mistakes and there are choices. Rape is not a "mistake."
    You can't take it back but you can move forward from it.
    Or not as has happened.
    A bunch of logical fallacies that have NOTHING to do with the rape(s).
    Skipped

At least he stood up and said yeah it was me, you got me.
    Wait what? Where did he stand up and say "Yeah it was me?"

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    1/22/2013 10:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think statements from anyone tied to Lloyd Irvin are suspect.

I think Ryan Hall's letter, what I've seen from his team at competitions, his shady marketing, and the 1989 case all point to a slime ball at the head of a personality cult at best.

Even in his apology note he couldn't help but make it about "haterz trying to keep me down". He's a schemer and so focused on promoting anything he does.

The Lloyd Irvin apologists really need to take a hard look at themselves and the situation.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    1/22/2013 10:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think everyone deserves a chance, and he has done a lot of good things for the BJJ / MMA Community. .
    Have you ever see him do anything for free? Jay Scully is a man I would describe as someone giving freely of himself to benefit the grappling community.

"Originally Posted by Ryan Hall
    Does it follow logically that one is “a great guy” or a “good man who helps people” for delivering a product he was paid (financially or otherwise) to deliver while simultaneously standing center stage and accepting praise for his actions?How does the use of ill-gotten influence to create a pulpit from which to shower gifts in an effort to gain favor with the trusting make one the modern-day equivalent of Robin Hood? I would submit in both cases that it does not. Amoral people in positions of influence are always adept at giving hand outs—it keeps
    the good guys in check because they’ve been bought and paid for."

Face it the guy is a piece of **** who 23 years ago peddled the "If the dick is soft, let me off" defense.
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast