Style
    Goju-ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Changing from Goju Ryu to another style

Hi everyone!

I began doing Goju-ryu in 2005, and now I am considering a change in style. At my Goju school, I am feeling that there is less emphasis on sparring and more on katas and bunkais. And when there is sparring, it is only point sparring. In my opinion, I don't believe that such kind of drills effectively teaches you how to defend yourself and respond quickly. Hence, I am considering picking up Muay thai.

The main concern I have with this change is that since I have dedicated so much time to Goju-ryu (which has become my base), I am wondering whether changing to MT will be a difficult task or something that is worth changing to. Will all my years in Goju be pointless? I want to know the experience of those who have transferred from some kind of karate (or any other initial base) to MT, and give me a heads up on the differences I might be expected to face. What skills from karate training might I keep, and what skills will I omit? Will MT eventually replace my Goju-ryu as a base?

Another option I had in mind is to try out freestyle karate (known as Australian Freestyle Martial Arts at the school). Perhaps this will be easier to transition into, allowing me to keep my original style but also add new concepts and more sparring. For those of you who don't know, a brief description states:

-AFMA is a progressive self defence system based on principles from Martial Arts worldwide. Boxing, Karate, Muay Thai, Kali and Grappling are blended into one unique, effective self defence based Martial Art.

Both AFMA and MT are taught at the same school. The place is called proactive self defense. They have a website if you guys want to check it out.

I am eager to hear your advice and thanks in advance!

Also I remember there was something called noob town or something but I can't seem to find it so I posted here instead. Hope that's okay.
    Last edited by Envoy; 3/01/2013 5:10am at .

Style
    bjj/judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience, hybrid martial arts such as the one you described are often more marketing tools to try and draw in a diverse group of students without the instructor devoting much time to the study of any particular art.

I don't know what your goals for studying are, but seeing as how you want more sparring in your training, I would give Muay Thai a shot. If it is taught in the same school, then why not try both and decide which one best fits your goals?

Is this the school you are referring to? http://www.proactiveselfdefence.com/?page=classes

If so there are a couple of red flags(for me at least) the instructor is only ranked in the AFMA system, which has only been around since 1999, and he's a 4th Dan. I would ask about the credentials of the people who are teaching the Muay Thai program...they have a "team freestyle", but it doesn't seem to be a fight team, more like a demo/tournament team...so I would have serious questions about the applicability about what they are teaching.

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started GoJu when I was little and, after some years, started training in other Japanese martial arts. I felt my karate training helped me in the other styles, if not just simple stuff like being able to take instruction, control over my body, etc. When I drop in to totally different styles (MT, TKD, etc) that aren't JMA related I still feel I grasp stuff a little quicker than, say, a noob off the street...even though the principles may be quite different. I think you'll be good. Besides, the sylabbus in most GoJu schools aren't that huge, so I am guessing you know most of the kata and one-steps and can just practice that whenever you want with your friends/dojo mates (assuming you are leaving). Hell, just tell your teacher you want to get into competitive fighting (like MT), but you still want to maintain some relationship with the dojo...you could drop into class like once a month or something and just pay a mat fee.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is kyokushin an option?

Style
    Goju-ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Permalost. I can't find any kyokushin close to my area.