Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2015 5:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Judo, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

GoshinbudoJJ's Comp Thread

Did my first comp at blue belt this past weekend (have been training for just about two years, been at blue belt a little over 9 months).

Had mixed success at white belt. When I won, it was almost always by submission, when I lost it was almost always because I conceded a take down and played guard against an opponent with good base/top game.

Have been honing my game against top level competition in the gym (Marcelo Garcia's in NYC) and felt ready to see how I stacked up against other blue belts.

This was also the first tourney that I competed in which was submission only.

On to the vids, comments/suggestions welcome!

Fight 1:

Immediately pulled guard and started to set up a deep lefty lapel grip. Transitioned to a cross collar to see if I could get my opponent to open up. Pretty quickly he realized that being in my guard was a bad idea and he stood up. The tournament rules stated that I had to give up whatever I was doing if my head came above his waist (only fair since slamming is illegal).

Once he stood up, he pulled guard and setup spider/DLR grips. I was able to free my left arm from his spider grip and then used a mediocre smash pass to pin his lower body to the mat. As I tried to transition to mount, he tried to get 1LX guard. I was able to control the distance again by grabbing a deep collar grip and threatening a cross collar from the top (hoping that he would open up so I could pass).

Once he abandoned the 1LX, I tried transitioning to an arm bar, but he was able to create a scramble and keep me from sinking the hooks in as I transitioned to the back. We ended up in an akward spot with one leg over his back and the other on his neck. I threatened a kimura for a second before quickly switching to a reverse triangle for the finish.

Fight 2:

Kind of a boring fight. Opponent pulled guard, I forced half immediately and transitioned to california side control. Threatened kimura, eventually knee cut to mount, threatened cross collar from top, finished with an arm bar.

Fight 3 (Finals):

Long, tough fight. Untimed match, sub only. Dude I fought was thick as a brick. Pulled guard immediately and started to threaten him with my favorite gi tie up (lapel over back). Strategy was to grind him down in the guard. Ended up working very well. He was gassed after the first few minutes. Every time he stood up to pass I was able to threaten him with the arm bar or triangle. Came close to finishing but couldn't get the proper angle. Eventually I was able to loop the gi around the front of his neck and set up one of my favorite sneaky lapel chokes. He tried to stand up to get me to release it, but it was too late. Once he sank back down to his knees I was able to cut the angle and finish.

Still lots to work on, but pretty happy with my first test at blue.

Onto the NY Open in April!

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2015 6:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Jutsu/MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet! Not really in a position to suggest anything being that aside from previous no-gi MMA stuff, I'm just a current one stripe white BJJ noob, but congrats on your subs man. All the best at the Open!

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2015 8:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Judo, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsteryank View Post
    Sweet! Not really in a position to suggest anything being that aside from previous no-gi MMA stuff, I'm just a current one stripe white BJJ noob, but congrats on your subs man. All the best at the Open!
    Thanks bro! Nice avatar!

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2015 12:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Jutsu/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goshinbudoJJ View Post
    Thanks bro! Nice avatar!
    Ha, cheers! You too mate!