Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2013 4:27pm

Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But... Bullshido, you had me convinced t3h deadly was a myth. You're telling me you were holding out on me with this **** all along? Goddammit. Where do I go to learn teh real deadly neck chop?

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    1/05/2013 4:29pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think neck trauma/compression as a cause of death was ever in doubt.

By that logic, yes Judo and BJJ teach you how to strangle people to death too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2013 4:36pm

Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I don't think neck trauma/compression as a cause of death was ever in doubt.

By that logic, yes Judo and BJJ teach you how to strangle people to death too.
    Yes, but that always takes at least a few seconds. Dude dropped a rock from that neck tap looking thing. I had to be sure I wasn't watching a well disguised Dillman seminar.

So seriously, what secret temple do I have go to for this?

Posted On:
    1/05/2013 4:42pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie McGee View Post
    Yes, but that always takes at least a few seconds. Dude dropped a rock from that neck tap looking thing. I had to be sure I wasn't watching a well disguised Dillman seminar.

There's nothing magical about it. There is a great BS thread on the vasovagal and related responses due to trauma or compression. Vladimir Putin's book on Judo is sourced....one of my favorite threads.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106271

When the right area (a nexus of nerve and arterial tissue in the carotid artery/vagal nerve area) receives a blow (or is compressed for a few seconds) the body goes into a shock. That area is basically the body's thermostat for your overall blood pressure, so when it gets hit the shock tricks it into thinking that your blood pressure is is trouble and the body's response is an immediate significant drop in blood pressure

That sudden drop will usually lead to syncope (briefly passing out), but it can be more dangerous in certain individuals, like those with pre-existing heart conditions. It could (technically) cause cardiac arrest.

Chokeouts in judo/BJJ use this to great effect (if you are seeing stars, your blood pressure is dropping, TAP!!!), but you can also find a lot of boxing knockouts caused the same way.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 1/05/2013 4:56pm at .

Posted On:
    1/05/2013 5:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie McGee View Post

The logical approach is to grow pointed ears.

That done, a brief pinch is all you need.

As seen on TV!

Posted On:
    1/05/2013 5:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/06/2013 2:28am

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^Ah, okay...that really demonstrates the principle for me now. Thanks for posting that.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    1/06/2013 5:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excuse me, but I've had a few hard high kicks and hooks to my neck. At worst, my face turned (more) angry red. But KO'd? Nah

Could other (more experienced) people chime in on this?

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Posted On:
    1/06/2013 6:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Excuse me, but I've had a few hard high kicks and hooks to my neck. At worst, my face turned (more) angry red. But KO'd? Nah

Could other (more experienced) people chime in on this?
    I'm in the same boat, minus the angry red face. The more experienced use-of-force instructors who have run into this attribute it to individual differences, be they genetic, neurological, training-induced or a combination of these.

It might also be that there are beliefs based on static models (much like that old "it-takes-so-little-pressure-to break-a-kneecap" thing, which was based on test involving an extracted, dried patella from a donated-to-science cadaver). This sort of thing just leads to assumptions that certain things work on absolutely everyone...not an assumption one should bet one's life on, IMHO.

Now and then, I'll run into one of the less-experienced instructors who invariably opine that those who tried it on me previously (meaning the more-experienced instructors who know it doesn't work on 100% of subjects) "didn't do it with the required precision" or some such.

What follows goes by an almost-identical script established over decades now:

"So just hold still...ready?...there!........what?...you didn't feel that?...not at all?!!?!...Wow, you must be some freak of nature."

Thereafter, they are more experienced instructors.

Anyway, I dunno. How much neck-work do you do? I do weighted neck-arches and similar exercises every morning. People at my workplace like to joke that my neck is wider than my head, but that's not saying much: of Nordic descent, I have a long and narrow skull.
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 1/06/2013 6:39am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2013 6:52am

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That thing in the video, couldn't it be some psychological ****? I'm sure that if I get hitted hard enough I will drop, but the guy in the clip didn't seem to be hitting hard.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast