Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Old noob

Style
    Torn rotator cuff rehab
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Old noob

Hi all - I used to be on the site and did some occasional posting but I've been away for some time now. No cool story behind my disappearance, I just got busy with life.

Anyway, I'm an old man still playing around in a young man's game. I mostly do martial arts as an activity to share with my kids. I don't like being that parent who sits on the side of the room and watches the kids; I'd rather jump in and enjoy the class with them.

Background stuff: I was a wrestler all throughout my childhood. I don't remember doing anything before wrestling. Now I get to help coach my youngest son as he begins his wrestling career.

I started doing TKD with my daughter and we agreed to get our black belts together. I obtained mine before she did but she stuck it out and after 4.5 years she acheived 1st Dan (then promptly quit lol). I continued and earned a 2nd Dan. I was an instructor for over 6 years but recently left due to "philisophical differences". Translation: I wasn't comfortable watching my school turn into a belt factory and refused to be a part of it, so I stepped down.

I've done some BJJ with my oldest son and we are now working out at a local MMA gym. He still is only doing the grappling classes but I'm doing those as well as the kickboxing classes and the occasional full-blown MMA class.

I'm on a small break while I do physical therapy on a shoulder injury and I'm also babying a bulging disk in my back. Once those injuries heal (or get healed-ish) I'll be back at it.

I understand that my body won't allow me to do these activities forever but I want to be there, side by side with my kids, until I'm a crippled, broken, old man. So for now I'll soldier on.

I'm looking forward to getting reaquainted with the forums here and may be looking for tips to heal up my current ailments and ways to avoid injuries going forward.

Thanks all. Train hard and stay safe. Take care!

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell I got thrown around by a man into his late 70s in Judo and I have been rolled up by some pretty old dudes at BJJ. Welcome back to the site and keep up the good work.

Heck I am only 33 and I notice that the post work out and injury recovery periods keep getting worse. Especially in the joints.

I respect anyone who gets out on the mat but the old guys that do it I have the most respect for.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by folkhero72 View Post
    Hi all - I used to be on the site and did some occasional posting but I've been away for some time now. No cool story behind my disappearance, I just got busy with life.

Anyway, I'm an old man still playing around in a young man's game. I mostly do martial arts as an activity to share with my kids. I don't like being that parent who sits on the side of the room and watches the kids; I'd rather jump in and enjoy the class with them.

Background stuff: I was a wrestler all throughout my childhood. I don't remember doing anything before wrestling. Now I get to help coach my youngest son as he begins his wrestling career.

I started doing TKD with my daughter and we agreed to get our black belts together. I obtained mine before she did but she stuck it out and after 4.5 years she acheived 1st Dan (then promptly quit lol). I continued and earned a 2nd Dan. I was an instructor for over 6 years but recently left due to "philisophical differences". Translation: I wasn't comfortable watching my school turn into a belt factory and refused to be a part of it, so I stepped down.

I've done some BJJ with my oldest son and we are now working out at a local MMA gym. He still is only doing the grappling classes but I'm doing those as well as the kickboxing classes and the occasional full-blown MMA class.

I'm on a small break while I do physical therapy on a shoulder injury and I'm also babying a bulging disk in my back. Once those injuries heal (or get healed-ish) I'll be back at it.

I understand that my body won't allow me to do these activities forever but I want to be there, side by side with my kids, until I'm a crippled, broken, old man. So for now I'll soldier on.

I'm looking forward to getting reaquainted with the forums here and may be looking for tips to heal up my current ailments and ways to avoid injuries going forward.

Thanks all. Train hard and stay safe. Take care!
    Props old man. We have a lot in common as "martial arts parents". How old are ya BTW?
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Style
    mma
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I too am a dojo dad
    Pleased to meet you

How old are you?

Style
    Taijiquan, Karate
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe we can organise dads throwdowns, where we live vicariously through our fighting children, whilst we sit at the side compare injuries and talk about DIY.

Speaking of which, how's the compost toilet going doofaloofa?

Style
    mma
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezmond View Post
    Speaking of which, how's the compost toilet going doofaloofa?

Slow but sure, I've got this torn muscle...

Style
    Torn rotator cuff rehab
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks everyone. I'm 40 (for 2 more months anyway). Yeah, the injuries seem to be more frequent, take longer to heal, and are more serious than in the past. I know that someday I'll have to give it all up...but this ain't that day.

I should probably buy stock in Tylenol and Aleve though.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by folkhero72 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I'm 40 (for 2 more months anyway). Yeah, the injuries seem to be more frequent, take longer to heal, and are more serious than in the past. I know that someday I'll have to give it all up...but this ain't that day.

I should probably buy stock in Tylenol and Aleve though.
    I was sidelined for my 46th year, but I was training all through my 45th. Spent last year just keeping my boy on track with his training, and cornering him a few times at grappling events. He had a great year, fought once (MT) and won a bunch of medals in grappling. He just earned his BJJ blue and is employed at his gym coaching inner-city kids in MMA under another Bully.

Dad Mega 2013 for sure ;)
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would suggest avoiding those activities that injure you or take the most of you and focus on those that aren't that taxing. From my own experience wrestling with all those throws are the most dangerous. You need to think of your grandchildren too :)
    It's totally acceptable to avoid the mma sparring for example if you see that you tend to get mangled up too much and stick to striking and technical ground work for example. I'm sure you kids would appreciate a healthy dad that can walk down stairs without crying.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome back to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last