Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Killing it in my i-Roc Z :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2013 11:38am

Style: Chito-Ryu, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never seen a school wait two weeks for belting after the test, is that normal? The only beltings I've seen (we've only had one since I started BJJ), were immediate. You do the evaluation, and then at the end you get your belt.

Anyways, congrats, bro. By reading through your posts, you've definitely earned it. You've worked your ass off, and you deserve your blue belt more than a lot of other people. Congrats. Go smash some white belts :D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2013 7:02am

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by warlordgrego View Post
    I've never seen a school wait two weeks for belting after the test, is that normal? The only beltings I've seen (we've only had one since I started BJJ), were immediate. You do the evaluation, and then at the end you get your belt.

Anyways, congrats, bro. By reading through your posts, you've definitely earned it. You've worked your ass off, and you deserve your blue belt more than a lot of other people. Congrats. Go smash some white belts :D

Alliance NYC has promotions a few times a year where the whole school gets together for a belting ceremony. It's a lot of fun and the gym I go to which is an affiliate gets to go to the main school, roll around and have a good time. We also get whipped which kinda sucks, but whatever. I will be away this year during promotions, which are on AUG 2 so I'll get my belt when I return to class on AUG 5.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2013 7:23am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok...so last night I got my blue belt. I'm pretty pumped. Time to up the training time and enter one of the local tournaments ASAP to get the jitters out. We rolled really hard last night after drilling. Then...my great training partners, who are my best friends...who would jump in front of a bus for me....did this. Bastards

On a side note...funny story. In a post further up the thread, I wrote about how a new white belt started recently and how easy it was for me to control him. HAHA! He read the thread, and knew it was him I was talking about. Nothin but love for you Jay....just keep showing up. It all gets better....not easier...but better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2013 9:18am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Month 14 – Ok…so my first few weeks at blue belt have been interesting. First off…the same guys that were kicking my ass when I first walked into the gym are still kicking my ass now..and secondly…every single white belt in the gym wants to tear my head off. There were six of us promoted to blue belt at the last promotions, and I admittedly am the weakest with the least experience. So with that said…training sessions have been interesting. The good thing is that almost everyone in the gym will fight really hard to avoid my closed guard. I have really been working on it and it has definitely gotten better. Open guard….not so much. I’ve been trying both DLR and Spider Guard trying to figure out what’s going to work best. My passing has suffered a bit because I have been practicing playing guard so much. When I am working from the top, I almost always try to get double unders and pressure pass. I find it much easier to hold side control than mount. I don’t know why I have problems maintaining mount, but for some reason, my mount is weak. Side control seems to be my go to position to look for submissions. I will even give up mount sometimes to get side control. The kimura and the baseball bat choke are my go to subs.

On a side note…Sinistro won his weight class at the Chicago Open this weekend. He also took bronze in the Absolute division. This was his first competition at black belt and it’s great that he won. We have 5-6 guys from our little gym going to the Boston Open. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend. I will be competing very soon though and I will be upping the training schedule to at least 10 hours a week. Jui Jitsu has changed my life for the better in more ways than I can count and I thank God for the day I walked into my gym.

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words, motivation, and advice.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/20/2013 2:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RhinoUP View Post
    Month 14 – Ok…so my first few weeks at blue belt have been interesting. First off…the same guys that were kicking my ass when I first walked into the gym are still kicking my ass now..and secondly…every single white belt in the gym wants to tear my head off. There were six of us promoted to blue belt at the last promotions, and I admittedly am the weakest with the least experience. So with that said…training sessions have been interesting. The good thing is that almost everyone in the gym will fight really hard to avoid my closed guard. I have really been working on it and it has definitely gotten better. Open guard….not so much. I’ve been trying both DLR and Spider Guard trying to figure out what’s going to work best. My passing has suffered a bit because I have been practicing playing guard so much. When I am working from the top, I almost always try to get double unders and pressure pass. I find it much easier to hold side control than mount. I don’t know why I have problems maintaining mount, but for some reason, my mount is weak. Side control seems to be my go to position to look for submissions. I will even give up mount sometimes to get side control. The kimura and the baseball bat choke are my go to subs.

On a side note…Sinistro won his weight class at the Chicago Open this weekend. He also took bronze in the Absolute division. This was his first competition at black belt and it’s great that he won. We have 5-6 guys from our little gym going to the Boston Open. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend. I will be competing very soon though and I will be upping the training schedule to at least 10 hours a week. Jui Jitsu has changed my life for the better in more ways than I can count and I thank God for the day I walked into my gym.

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words, motivation, and advice.
    Congratulations! BTW, "mount", aka Tate Shiho Gatame in Judo, is the hardest pin to maintain. Keep working on it and eventually you will be able to stay on and transition as needed.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2013 7:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Congratulations! BTW, "mount", aka Tate Shiho Gatame in Judo, is the hardest pin to maintain. Keep working on it and eventually you will be able to stay on and transition as needed.

We have a judo brown belt who trains with us. I will never forget the first time I got Osoto Gari by him. I heard every bone in my upper body crack and had the wind completely knocked out of me. Since that day we spend at least a half hour a couple times a week going over throws.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2013 11:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Month 15… I know it’s a little early, but it’s slow at work so here we go. I have become completely obsessed with jiu jitsu. I couldn’t keep track of how many hours I spent daydreaming about what woulda, coulda, shoulda happened during my rolls from the previous week. My brain is overloaded with techniques and I’m starting to notice the tiny little details some of the most basic techniques. I actually missed my stop on the train going home because I was replaying a roll from the prior night’s training. I’m working on my open guard and it seems that the lasso is working best for me as far as retaining guard, and sweeping from there. I have been trying to omaplata from there, but I haven’t been able to pull it off live yet. With passing, I’m focusing on double unders and stacking. Successes are few and far between, but it does feel really good when I pull of a sweep, or submission, but for the most part, I am consistently getting an ass beating. The benefit of that is I’m getting much better at escaping mount/side mount/half guard. Abu Dhabi trials are on Oct. 20 so I’ve made a commitment to train at least 5 nights a week. I’m very nervous about my first competition at blue belt, but the training intensity of our little gym has increased, and I’m focused so I’m sure I’ll be the better for it. My regular training partners are beasts and I thought I might introduce you guys to a couple of them.

The Mountain – 6’ 235 fluffy asian guy. Reminds me of Odd Job from James Bond Goldfinger without the moustache. Blue belt. Judo brown belt. Don’t let his size or fluffiness fool you. This guy has the speed and agility of a guy 100 pounds lighter, is extremely tough, finds subs from the most unorthodox of positions, and rolls at a high intensity. He loves knee on belly, knee on kidney, knee on rib, knee on face. He’s been kicking my ass since day one and I can count the number of times I’ve caught him on one hand. I don’t look forward to rolling with him, on some days I’m hoping he doesn’t show up, but he is a perfect match for me and has been great training partner and we’ve become good friends.

The Wrestler – 6’1 240 built like a bulldozer. One of my best friends. Former room mate, and the toughest guy that I know. I’ve watched him beat up half a football team in our younger years. He was a great wrestler back in high school and I brought jiu jitsu to him. His technique is not very good, he can be spazzy, but he is extremely difficult to hold in mount. Explosive in every way and seems to have a sixth sense as he can feel when I cross his center of gravity and goes immediately for a reversal. Very difficult to sweep/submit and he never gives up. Has a couple of go to chokes from side control that he pulls off consistently. Great training partner, great friend.

More next month. Thanks for reading.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2013 2:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Judo, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Rhino, saw your boy Sinistro got a Shoyoroll sponsorship, sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaROs...ature=youtu.be

Posted On:
    7/09/2014 5:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I realise this thread is somewhat old by now, but I have to say it inspired me.

I have signed up at a club and the term is starting in september. Signed up for primarily MMA, but once you're a member you have access to all their spors (MMA, BJJ, Muay Thai, SW), so my plan is to start spending equal time with BJJ as the MMA.

Or perhaps lean more toward BJJ. BJJ seems so fantastically technical and I'm sure it requires a fair bit of Intelligence to do well in it, and the training seem hard. I'm sure I'm gonna love it.

But anyway, I'm really interested in a progress report on your progress. It's a great and inspiring read.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast