Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 2:23pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Judo, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys, maybe I will give it a go. A solid 3 weeks w/o beer should probably get me pretty close to the weight goal. Might even just compete regardless. As AK said, just having the experience would be a benefit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 2:37pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goshinbudoJJ View Post
    Thanks guys, maybe I will give it a go. A solid 3 weeks w/o beer should probably get me pretty close to the weight goal. Might even just compete regardless. As AK said, just having the experience would be a benefit.
    Woah... I didn't say anything about not drinking beer for 3 weeks... Let's not get crazy here! lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 12:47pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    20 days till tournament and we are pushing through our limits. We've been doing no time limit sub only rolling lately and I've gone as long as 14 minutes before puking. It's been really tough on my old ass body, but I'm definitely getting more fit. I tried the other day to get my heart rate up on an exercise bike and no matter how hard I tried, I couldnt get it beating at more than 140 bpm.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2013 9:10am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Month 10 Ė Iím posting this a little early because training for the NY Open has been pretty intense. Iíve really been working on my cardio and Sinistro and Zata have been pushing us every single class. 10 minutes in the middle with fresh guys ever minute or so has made me very comfortable in bad positions while being very tired. The main thing with these drills is to never give up no matter how tired you are. One second you just reversed and pulled off a mount escape and the next second you have a new guy in there jumping on your back. Escape the back attack and you have another guy on top of you with knee on belly. Crazy. There are only a few techniques Iím comfortable with at the moment. One being a sacrifice throw from standup which Iíve used in tournaments before, the scissor sweep from closed guard, and armbar from mount. I find it easier to reverse from full mount than to escape from side mount. My half guard passing is getting better and I am improving maintaining mount/side control. My open guards need a LOT of work. The 2 friends/family members that I brought in to jiu jitsu have caught up to me and are excellent training partners and we are all competing together. One of them is in my division and he is a fucking monster. The nerves and anxiety are already out in full force and Iím pumped for this weekend. I would love to close out my division with my training partner, but either way, training for this competition has brought my jiujitsu and endurance to a new level. I donít feel totally incompetent, but I have a ton of stuff to work on. ManÖthis jiu jitsu thing is really hard!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 2:35pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got beat pretty bad in the first round of the NY Open this weekend. Will post the match when I get it from my friend.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 3:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Here is my match from this weekend. I'm pretty unhappy with my performance but I know what I need to work on. I missed my initial sweep/throw and was stuck in half guard bottom for quite some time. For the life of me I couldn't move him. Lot's of work to be done in the coming months.

All critique is welcome as always. Thanks.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/24/2013 11:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RhinoUP
    Here is my match from this weekend. I'm pretty unhappy with my performance but I know what I need to work on. I missed my initial sweep/throw and was stuck in half guard bottom for quite some time. For the life of me I couldn't move him. Lot's of work to be done in the coming months.

All critique is welcome as always. Thanks.
    It looked to me like you got in a rush on your takedown and tried to force it, so it didn't work. You really need to tie up the guy well before doing something like that, essentially pinning him while standing.

The video is kind of small, but it looks like he got good control of your head and upper body. It's tough to escape that position when that happens without risking getting pinned all the way, which eventually happened.

You need more comp experience, as it looked like you weren't able to apply what you had been training so hard to do. Your posture on the ground suggested you were pretty uptight, which is understandable. In standing judo, it would be equivialent to stiff arming.

Anyway, kudos for competing and posting a video. Keep training and compete as much as you can safely.
    Last edited by BKR; 4/24/2013 11:21am at . Reason: Fucking double posts
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    5/08/2013 4:29pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this was a nice read! I got myself into BJJ last january, was in pretty okay shape, got in a sold few months of training, then managed to hit my left big toe on the mat and it kinda twisted to the side... the doc told me to wait about 3 months until trying to go back. These kind of posts make me want to get back into it as soon as possible! :D

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 7:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by koskenbleu View Post
    this was a nice read! I got myself into BJJ last january, was in pretty okay shape, got in a sold few months of training, then managed to hit my left big toe on the mat and it kinda twisted to the side... the doc told me to wait about 3 months until trying to go back. These kind of posts make me want to get back into it as soon as possible! :D
    Tape it up, train now, get a different doctor for sports injuries.

Sort of kidding, I know a lot of people train through broken toes, serious find a doctor with sports medicine experience and get a second opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 7:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKDC - BJJ newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RhinoUP View Post
    Month 1. torture. Maybe made it through 2 minutes of warmups before having to stop. This got better over the course of the monts but I never finished a warmup. Threw up several times during warm ups. I always tried to do the techniques when rolling/live drilling. I'm bigger than most guys in my school so they all took turns turning me into a pretzel. Threw up at least every other class and would need frequent breaks when rolling.

Month 2. Quit smoking cigarettes. Warm ups were better but still really tough. Was still throwing up but not so often. Still got smashed when rolling but would pull of the odd sweep from time to time and was lasting a little longer without needing a break.

Month 3. Warmups suck but I can finish. Learning more and more techniques and I find myself thinking about Jiu Jitsu constantly. I mean constantly. I can't stop talking about it. Eventually convince 2 of my very close friends to join my school. Tapped out a couple of smaller guys a couple times when rolling but still getting smashed and feeling helpless in most positions. I sense I'm getting the hang of some of the basics.

Month 4. More of the same, but I'm finding I'm trying to go for more technique attempts and taking some risks. Failing miserably at pulling them off, but I'm trying ands learning a lot from the mistakes I'm making. Starting to realize that timing is extremely important. Learning to breathe while rolling. Practicing breathing and thinking about Jiu Jitsu during most of the day. Attempting more submissions/sweeps and learning the importance of breaking grips. Relaxing more when rolling. Not holding my breath as much. Got a stripe from Sinistro. Felt I didn't deserve it but my training partners all believed I did so I trust them. Felt good. Btw warmups still fucking blow.

Month 5. Competed in my first tournament. Was up 9 zip when the ref stood us up with me mounted out of bounds. Experienced adrenaline dump and now know the true meaning of exhausted. My body stopped responding and I lost my match by one point. Was a great experience and I can't wait to do it again. The guys I train with took gold, gold, and bronze so I feel pretty damn good about the quality of instruction I'm getting. After competing I feel a new level of love for the sport. I'm rolling hard, taking much fewer breaks, only throwing up once in a while and warm ups still suck but not as much as they used to.

Month 6. I sense improvement. I'm still getting tossed but the higher belts I roll with now are having a tougher time tapping me. I feel strong in the side mount position and I was told tonight by a purple belt that my shoulder pressure from side mount is nasty. Very happy about that. Learning the basics and using open mat nights to help the two friends catch up on the techniques they don't know. They are becoming fantastic training partners. I kind of have an idea of what I should be going for in most positions /grip breaking/breaking posture...etc. im also getting very close with my training parthers and we are becoming a team. Its awesome. And war ups....piece of cake...NOT!!

All in all this has been the most difficult thing I've ever done. Also. FYI. I'm 40, 230 pounds was a fat bastard my whole life and started weight training about 18 months ago and got myself down to 19% body fat before joing my school. Haven't touched a weight since starting jits.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but to those discouraged noobs....stick with it. It gets better and better. Even though the beatings don't ever stop, you'll take pleasure in the small improvements you see over time.

Thanks for reading..I welcome your comments and advice.

You can't go wrong training what a Gracie trains.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast