Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2013 10:05am

Style: BJJ, striking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks good man, I've been watching some videos of me against our guys and I look like rubibish compared to you. Fantastic work, keep it up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2013 12:52pm

Style: Judo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am still getting a handle on BJJ scoring (being more familiar with Judo shiai), but this video looked really good. Nice work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 2:48am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RhinoUP View Post
    Month 8 - This was a little bit of a breakthrough month for me. It all started when a very tough purple belt and I sparred during open mat. Since I started I always had a problem with being smothered. I hated being mounted, especially against a fellow heavyweight, and after not being able to get out after a few attempts, I would tap and restart. This ended when the purple belt Im speaking of informed me that if I tapped he wasn't stopping. He got mount and stayed there. I tapped,,,he stayed there...the buzzer rang...he stayed there...taunting me. Eventually during the 3rd six minute round, I felt a calm come over me...I was ok with it and began working different escapes. Reversed to guard and violla....we rolled for 2 more rounds ignoring the buzzer. This was HUGE for my progress. I feel that this led me to train harder...with lest rest...and remain calmer during rolling..conserving energy and exploding when necessary..It helped me in so many ways, that I cant really describe them. The claustrophobia is gone and when in a bad position, I'm no longer panicking. Big big big for my jiu jitsu. This was definitely the biggest breakthrough thus far and as a result, Sinistro gave me my third stripe last night after less than a month with 2. Competing in Long Island Pride this weekend. Any of you guys gonna be there?
    I know what you mean. There is a purple belt at our gym who also competes in MMA, and since I have a background in striking I figured I'd do some combat JJ with him (Idk if this is the common term, but we use it to describe rolling with MMA gloves while allowing strikes on the ground, but not while standing).

When he would inevitable get mount or side control on me, I would tap when I felt trapped (he also happened to be especially good at staying heavy). At one point he had mount and said he wouldn't stop hitting after I tapped (he wasn't hitting hard, to be clear). So, I eventually got used to the punches raining down on me while I was searching for ways to escape and it made me a lot better at keeping my head in stressful situations.

Sometimes you just need to be pushed a little harder.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2013 1:14pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My coach did something similar to me forever ago to show me how much more time I had to fight out of a choke than I thought I had. He didn't choke me out, but held it way past my comfort level.

I should note this was not during a roll, but after we'd finished rolling and he commented I tapped to a choke too quickly, so he said let me put you in a choke and show you how long you really have to fight out. It was a good lesson, and another step towards allowing myself to be calm in uncomfortable positions...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 8:54am

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Month 9 - My training partners and I are all training hard for the NY Open next month. One of the great things about my gym is the fact that we have several ultra heavyweights among us as well as a few heavyweights. I’m attempting to cut weight to enter the super heavyweight division 221 lbs. I’m currently about 12 pounds over. Training has been intense. Sinsistro and Zata Toscano have been really hammering us and pushing us through our limits. I feel I’m getting a better feel for when to use my energy and when not to. Being that I’m really trying to go for submissions/sweeps, I tend to end up in bad positions, and I’m getting very comfortable in the most uncomfortable of positions. I’ve still never pulled off an arm bar or triangle from closed guard while sparring, but I’m getting closer and closer each time I try. My passing has gotten a little better and I’m learning how to use the enormous cranium I was born with as a weapon. All in all it’s been a fun month. It’s great to be part of a team with the same goals. The two guys I brought into my gym are really improving and it’s really fun watching them progress. If it’s possible, I love Jiu Jitsu more than the day I started and I can’t wait for the NY Open. Any of you guys gonna be there?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Judo, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Rhino, just caught this thread. Great training log. Hopefully it inspires people to get off the couch and train. I'm a BJJ noob as well.

Watched your video (great job btw) and realized that I saw this match live at LI pride. I was on the other side of the gym, but you guys were hard to miss. Lots of body getting moved around! I remember watching from afar, and then getting all excited when I saw you pop up after the arm bar. Congrats!

I'll be at the NY open too. Will keep an eye out for you now that I know what you look like.

Good luck!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 6:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey goshin. Where do you train? I'm definitely pumped for the NY open. Are you competing in it?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 8:06am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Judo, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been training over at Gracie-Barra New Hyde Park (Scarola BJJ) for about 2.5 months. I'm thinking about giving the NY open a shot. Would like to drop a few pounds to get under the 169 limit first.

It would be my first tournament, so I'd consider it a victory just to go out and compete and not totally embarrass myself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 12:29pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i trained at Matt Serra's for a month or 2 back in 05 before getting injured and having kids. I met Joey. He was always a nice guy.

I can only speak for myself when I say that competing and focusing on training to compete has really helped me go from an out of shape mess with no skill to someone who does something resembling jiu jitsu:) Just jump in and do it. I was scared shitless my first time...but it was awesome and an amazing experience nonetheless.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 12:36pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goshin: If you step on that mat, you have nothing to be embarrassed about. Especially with only 2.5 months of Jits you gotta just look at it as a learning experience and extension of your training. Odds are with 2.5 months experience you won't be bringing home gold in the absolute division, BUT, the experience you'll get is worth alot more than any medals imho. Good luck to both of you, post vids and let us know how you do!
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast