Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2013 2:03pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Month 8 - This was a little bit of a breakthrough month for me. It all started when a very tough purple belt and I sparred during open mat. Since I started I always had a problem with being smothered. I hated being mounted, especially against a fellow heavyweight, and after not being able to get out after a few attempts, I would tap and restart. This ended when the purple belt Im speaking of informed me that if I tapped he wasn't stopping. He got mount and stayed there. I tapped,,,he stayed there...the buzzer rang...he stayed there...taunting me. Eventually during the 3rd six minute round, I felt a calm come over me...I was ok with it and began working different escapes. Reversed to guard and violla....we rolled for 2 more rounds ignoring the buzzer. This was HUGE for my progress. I feel that this led me to train harder...with lest rest...and remain calmer during rolling..conserving energy and exploding when necessary..It helped me in so many ways, that I cant really describe them. The claustrophobia is gone and when in a bad position, I'm no longer panicking. Big big big for my jiu jitsu. This was definitely the biggest breakthrough thus far and as a result, Sinistro gave me my third stripe last night after less than a month with 2. Competing in Long Island Pride this weekend. Any of you guys gonna be there?

Posted On:
    2/24/2013 9:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav &?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good read, may I ask you how many hours a week you get to put into training? And how is your conditioning coming on?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2013 7:09pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Summary of my first six months in BJJ

My conditioning is much better than it was but not nearly as good as it should be. I've been training at least 4 days a week since I started. Sometimes six. So 5-10 hours a week. It's all I can do with full time career, wife, and 2 kids.

On a side note... I won my division at Long Island pride today:). Master/senior ultra heavyweight. Pretty pumped about it:).

Posted On:
    2/24/2013 10:57pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RhinoUP View Post
    My conditioning is much better than it was but not nearly as good as it should be. I've been training at least 4 days a week since I started. Sometimes six. So 5-10 hours a week. It's all I can do with full time career, wife, and 2 kids.

On a side note... I won my division at Long Island pride today:). Master/senior ultra heavyweight. Pretty pumped about it:).
    Congrats, man, that's great! Did you get it recorded at all to watch later and force your kids to watch over and over!? ;)
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Posted On:
    2/25/2013 1:20am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well done, bro.

Three stripe white in 6 months? **** me. I must really suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2013 7:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Summary of my first six months in BJJ

Battlefields...it's been 8 months and exactly 130 hours of mat time thus far, and im not even close. Probably about halfway there right now.
    Last edited by RhinoUP; 2/25/2013 7:32am at .

Posted On:
    2/25/2013 7:38am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RhinoUP View Post
    This was HUGE for my progress. I feel that this led me to train harder...with lest rest...and remain calmer during rolling..conserving energy and exploding when necessary..It helped me in so many ways, that I cant really describe them. The claustrophobia is gone and when in a bad position, I'm no longer panicking. Big big big for my jiu jitsu.
    I get where you are coming from, this was one of my big breakthroughs too. A lot of beginners must quit before they get over that feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    he guard can be a cruel mistress :P It's my happy place, my go to position, but, I don't usually throw subs from there. In guard, a failed sub is an invitation to pass.
    I find that an inactive guard is an invitation to pass. As soon as i stop threatening with either sweep or submission its their turn to be the aggressor.

Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Well done, bro.

Three stripe white in 6 months? **** me. I must really suck.
    I don't remember getting a single submission in my first 6 months.
    Last edited by Sang; 2/25/2013 7:47am at .
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2013 9:09am

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Here is one of my matches from this weekend...all criticism is welcome.

Thanks bruthas:) I'm in the black gi.

Posted On:
    2/25/2013 9:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav &?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can put a lot of hours into it and it looks like it is paying off for you fella. Good video, you shift pretty well for a big guy. Was that a big error on his part leaving his arm exposed like that?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2013 10:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FatPies View Post
    You can put a lot of hours into it and it looks like it is paying off for you fella. Good video, you shift pretty well for a big guy. Was that a big error on his part leaving his arm exposed like that?
    Yeah...he pretty much gave it to me.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast