Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 8:06am

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Summary of my first six months in BJJ

Month 1. torture. Maybe made it through 2 minutes of warmups before having to stop. This got better over the course of the monts but I never finished a warmup. Threw up several times during warm ups. I always tried to do the techniques when rolling/live drilling. I'm bigger than most guys in my school so they all took turns turning me into a pretzel. Threw up at least every other class and would need frequent breaks when rolling.

Month 2. Quit smoking cigarettes. Warm ups were better but still really tough. Was still throwing up but not so often. Still got smashed when rolling but would pull of the odd sweep from time to time and was lasting a little longer without needing a break.

Month 3. Warmups suck but I can finish. Learning more and more techniques and I find myself thinking about Jiu Jitsu constantly. I mean constantly. I can't stop talking about it. Eventually convince 2 of my very close friends to join my school. Tapped out a couple of smaller guys a couple times when rolling but still getting smashed and feeling helpless in most positions. I sense I'm getting the hang of some of the basics.

Month 4. More of the same, but I'm finding I'm trying to go for more technique attempts and taking some risks. Failing miserably at pulling them off, but I'm trying ands learning a lot from the mistakes I'm making. Starting to realize that timing is extremely important. Learning to breathe while rolling. Practicing breathing and thinking about Jiu Jitsu during most of the day. Attempting more submissions/sweeps and learning the importance of breaking grips. Relaxing more when rolling. Not holding my breath as much. Got a stripe from Sinistro. Felt I didn't deserve it but my training partners all believed I did so I trust them. Felt good. Btw warmups still fucking blow.

Month 5. Competed in my first tournament. Was up 9 zip when the ref stood us up with me mounted out of bounds. Experienced adrenaline dump and now know the true meaning of exhausted. My body stopped responding and I lost my match by one point. Was a great experience and I can't wait to do it again. The guys I train with took gold, gold, and bronze so I feel pretty damn good about the quality of instruction I'm getting. After competing I feel a new level of love for the sport. I'm rolling hard, taking much fewer breaks, only throwing up once in a while and warm ups still suck but not as much as they used to.

Month 6. I sense improvement. I'm still getting tossed but the higher belts I roll with now are having a tougher time tapping me. I feel strong in the side mount position and I was told tonight by a purple belt that my shoulder pressure from side mount is nasty. Very happy about that. Learning the basics and using open mat nights to help the two friends catch up on the techniques they don't know. They are becoming fantastic training partners. I kind of have an idea of what I should be going for in most positions /grip breaking/breaking posture...etc. im also getting very close with my training parthers and we are becoming a team. Its awesome. And war ups....piece of cake...NOT!!

All in all this has been the most difficult thing I've ever done. Also. FYI. I'm 40, 230 pounds was a fat bastard my whole life and started weight training about 18 months ago and got myself down to 19% body fat before joing my school. Haven't touched a weight since starting jits.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but to those discouraged noobs....stick with it. It gets better and better. Even though the beatings don't ever stop, you'll take pleasure in the small improvements you see over time.

Thanks for reading..I welcome your comments and advice.

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 9:04am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great read, what about injuries?
    I was thinking for some time now to add bjj. My fear is injuries to my shoulder that isn't great. Can you roll relaxed with someone and still gain some good abilities?

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 9:36am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good for you, BJJ has probably been the most positive influence in my life.

Best advice I can give is to make sure you do you do the warm ups and stretch after, always tap sooner than later, and it's a war of attrition learning this art (or any really).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 10:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @erezb I have a really bad shoulder from an old snowboarding accident. It has always hurt so I'm used to it and training hasnt made it worse. Other than a sprained big toe on my right foot, I've been injury free. Knock on wood.

@DKjr Tapping is the one bjj skill that I have perfected. I do it verbally and physically every time. I can honestly say that I'm really, really good at tapping:)

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 11:47am

Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep up the hard work bro. If you happen to be on LI during with week we have judo going on in Hicksville until our dojo is back up and running in May, but Wed and Fris are still open.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 5:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Summary of my first six months in BJJ

Thanks for the invite DP. Very busy this week, but I might be out near you later this month. Wednesday and Friday's at what time?

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    1/04/2013 9:10am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wednesday 7-8. It's a small class, mostly kids, but there are a few of us old farts there that like ground fighting. Fridays are 7-9 an the same thing, mostly kids, but some solid ground fighting adults too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2013 3:32pm

Style: BJJ, striking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been in about 7 months myself and have had huge issues with my right big toe as well.

Also, I still feel pretty useless on the mat. I'm on my back way too much, get stuck in bad positions and haven't tapped anyone in nearly a month. Maybe one day I'll get better..

Keep the updates coming.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2013 4:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ,WT,Escrima

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool progress report,im beginning my fourth month of BJJ and i really empathize with your own experience.The difficulty starting up and dealing with the cardio\conditioning (its getting better,but then again the Instructor expects more of us and will push us harder acordingly.)

Best advice i was given was not to let the difficulties or lack of progress (apparent or actual) keep you down and work trough it,seems like you are doing just that.
    Last edited by Escrimator; 1/04/2013 4:35pm at . Reason: skipped a word.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2013 12:07am

Style: Judo noob, heavy bag

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great post, its a good reminder training is all about incrementally sucking less and less as time goes on. My training has been spotty (training during summer and holidays at home, now unable to afford anything at university), but I can still relate. Whoever coined the phrase on these boards "post less, train more" definitely had it right.

Also, more advice for discouraged noobs: remember that the people who train alongside you are also getting incrementally better and better. Don't get into that self-centered mindset that you have to be getting better than everyone else around you. They aren't obstacles, they are people, who are making strides just the same way you are.

Happy training everyone!
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast