Hell yeah! Hell no!

Truth in advertising your school.

A buddy of mine moved to England, and texted me this upon arrival:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140603_233941_ReSize.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	16092

Yeah. That's Wing Chun that meets exclusively in churches. You're welcome.

There's a certain concentration of failure there. Most of what you could want to know about the place is immediately evident. The interpretive dance moves, the religious connection, the chun. But it's not very self-aware is it? Someone committed to this flyer in earnest.

But really at the end of the day we need some introspection, don't we? Some honestly? This local google add provides.

Name:	72864_445922278828907_1963101419_n.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	16093
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2014 10:59pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a definite religious connection? My dad is a minister in the UK and in a lot of towns the only places with room for something like an MA class are church or town halls and a lot of non religious groups use them. Back when I was a kid doing TKD I got them the use of the church hall when the regular place was being refurbished or closed for a holiday or something.

More importantly though doesn't "You can take my life...but not my confidence." describe evertything wrong with the chun? Most practitioners become more killable the more confident they are in their abilities.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2014 11:18pm

Style: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous View Post
    A buddy of mine moved to England, and texted me this upon arrival:

Name:	20140603_233941_ReSize.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	16092

Yeah. That's Wing Chun that meets exclusively in churches. You're welcome.

There's a certain concentration of failure there. Most of what you could want to know about the place is immediately evident. The interpretive dance moves, the religious connection, the chun. But it's not very self-aware is it? Someone committed to this flyer in earnest.

But really at the end of the day we need some introspection, don't we? Some honestly? This local google add provides.

Name:	72864_445922278828907_1963101419_n.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	16093
    Oh my Glob, that is the funniest thing I've seen in months. "You can take my life, but not my confidence". _ing __un at it's finest.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/30/2014 12:17am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, we had a Kamon practitioner posting and they are one of the few chun groups I'd reluctantly recommend. Maybe not this guy, but some of the main schools are required to train with boxing coaches, spar and some of the instructors had at least Blue belts or higher in BJJ at the time the guy was posting. Oh we had HUGE debates with the guy.

The founder is a BJJ Black Belt who used to compete.

Posted On:
    6/30/2014 1:00am

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Well, we had a Kamon practitioner posting and they are one of the few chun groups I'd reluctantly recommend. Maybe not this guy, but some of the main schools are required to train with boxing coaches, spar and some of the instructors had at least Blue belts or higher in BJJ at the time the guy was posting. Oh we had HUGE debates with the guy.

The founder is a BJJ Black Belt who used to compete.
    So they're the worst mma school ever?
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2014 9:10am

Style: Goju Ryu Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    seeing some of the guys coming through the current season of tuf its not hard to imagine that some mma gyms aren't that good

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    6/30/2014 9:35am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    seeing some of the guys coming through the current season of tuf its not hard to imagine that many mma gyms aren't that good
    Fixed.

I have bad news: the world now has way more bad MMA than bad Wing Chun, based on raw numbers alone. MMA is a victim of its own success. Tapout proved there is a whole generation of kids who grew up watching UFC (like WWF before it) and believe it's easy to learn martial arts.

It was NEVER easy to learn martial arts. It never will be. But there is a modern MA mass marketing monster out there now (like the traditional one before it) that will take your money and feed you a modern MA fantasy (like the traditional one before it).

If you want to talk about overconfidence and martial arts...you should START with MMA, because it's taken over the role Wing Chun used to have. Wing Chun is rare now. MMA is everywhere.

People nowadays go into MMA gyms, practice a short while and come out thinking they are a pro heavyweight, JUST like the kung fools who think that brushing up against the Master is all that's required to gain deadly fighting skills.

Like it or not, MMA has created a whole generation with the perception that you can walk into any gym, and the skills will just flow into you. "Because it works", etc.

They don't put in the time+work (hint hint) truly required to become a mixed martial artist. A little BJJ or boxing or whatever, is like learning to dig a hole with a spade and calling yourself a gardener.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 6/30/2014 9:48am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2014 9:47am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Church halls are used for loads of stuff here, its pretty common for all kinds of MA clubs to meet in them.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/30/2014 4:37pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where do they claim MMA? They have boxing coaches, spar and have BJJ trained instructors. Their founder is a competing BJJ Black Belt. All the stuff we claimed chunners ran from back when you first joined. You were in some of those threads back in the day.

They are the typical kung fu elitists. Like Alan Orr, they cross train and are legit, but choose to pretend they are "pure" wing chun and continue with dead patterns.

Here you go:

Like I said, maybe not this guy, but the worst MMA school? Nope, not by a long shot. The dead patterns, IMO, can be better spent, hence why I said "reluctant." Still, if someone wants TMA, after all these years we still get them, I'd send them to certain kamon wing chun schools.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 6/30/2014 4:51pm at .

Posted On:
    6/30/2014 5:35pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Where do they claim MMA? They have boxing coaches, spar and have BJJ trained instructors. Their founder is a competing BJJ Black Belt. All the stuff we claimed chunners ran from back when you first joined. You were in some of those threads back in the day.

They are the typical kung fu elitists. Like Alan Orr, they cross train and are legit, but choose to pretend they are "pure" wing chun and continue with dead patterns.

Here you go:

Like I said, maybe not this guy, but the worst MMA school? Nope, not by a long shot. The dead patterns, IMO, can be better spent, hence why I said "reluctant." Still, if someone wants TMA, after all these years we still get them, I'd send them to certain kamon wing chun schools.
    I recall many, many people trying to save their deadwood art by adding things back into it over the years. Any effort to make it live again by adding sparring or other "alive" arts and cross training always makes them look far less like the thing they're coming from.

If they manage to be better than the shittiest MMA school around, that's maybe not such a high bar that I'm going to go around an personally fellate them for sucking less than a regular chun school. If they cut out the dead forms and chi sao time and used it for something else, they'd be better but then they couldn't keep calling themselves chun. That's sort of far past the point where they need to just let it go. Chun was fun for a while, but clearly they outgrew it.

This is a fusion of nostalgia and the need for kung fu as a marketing angle.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast