Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 7:49am

Style: Boxing, Grappling, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Arturo Bonafont's "Nuevos Modos De Defenderse En La Calle Con Un Baston"

It's amazing. It's beautiful. It's...mine! And along with it, the secret arcane knowledge it contains. Mwahaha!

Now, if only I could read Spanish...

For those who came in late:

"Nuevos Modos De Defenderse En La Calle Con Un Baston" was published in 1930, written by Arturo Bonafont, an Argentinian fencing master. It is unique among Western self-defense manuals as it contains the only known cane system where the techniques are performed entirely from reverse or "hiking" grip.

It's a pretty rare book, copies of it hardly ever come up for sale and the only other one that I know the whereabouts of is in Ralph Grasso's private collection in NYC. Ralph wrote a review of it here

I haven't had much of a chance to go through it yet but I'll post more details when I do. I would like to eventually bring this to a wider audience and hope to work with people to get a reprint/translation out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 7:58am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome man!

This is the fourth copy I know of. Besides Mr. Grasso's, Craig Gemiener in Australia has a copy, a third was auctioned off a few years ago on a spanish language site, and now yours. :)

'Grats man.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 11:43am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rare as hen's teeth, as my aunt used to say. I'm looking forward to the translation/re-publication.

Posted On:
    12/15/2012 2:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arturo Bonafont is my great-great Grandfather and features his son (my great grandfather) Roque. I wish it wasn't so rare! I would love to have a copy of it in my library! I hope that you are able to find a way to reprint it!

I would really appreciate contact with you...and not in a creepy way haha.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2012 8:16pm

Style: Sticks & Jits & Fritz

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was just last month reading about the Grasso Morale method of Americane that includes Bonafont techniques. I hadn't heard of this style before that.

There's some videos on http://bootfighter.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/americane/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2012 12:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since this thread has been resurrected, let me reiterate that I would love to work with any owners of this book to republish it. You guys know my work. I started something like 10+ years ago with Lang's Walkingstick Method and have somewhere north of 30 republished titles now. :)

I've also worked with Jared Kirby and The Association for Historical Fencing to republish antique books for them.

Gimme a shout and we'll repub this book!

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/17/2012 2:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the chance the TheVigilante isn't subscribed to this thread and may not notice that it's been revived, you should be able to email him via this page - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/member.php?u=7027 .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 3:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've PM'ed with him a few times and it seemed there was some interest. IMS, he wanted to repub himself, which is cool. But I haven't heard from him on the subject in a while. I tried PMing again mid-last year. <shrug>

Offer is still there. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2012 7:25am

Style: Boxing, Grappling, FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi guys,

Shamefully, I have sat on this for a while and I think it is time to do something about it. Sorry for not replying to your PM, Kirk - I almost never log in to Bullshido and I think this account is registered to an email address that no longer exists. Better to get ahold of me on Facebook!

I still would like to try and do something with this myself, and to eventually publish not just a straight-up repub/translation but also some extra stuff on training and history.

Mr. Bonafont, I would love to correspond with you, I can't seem to send you a private message, however?

I've updated my profile to include my current email address so you should be able to email me using the link that DdlR provided.
    Last edited by TheVigilante; 12/19/2012 7:30am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2012 11:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVigilante View Post

Mr. Bonafont, I would love to correspond with you, I can't seem to send you a private message, however?

I've updated my profile to include my current email address so you should be able to email me using the link that DdlR provided.
    I think the Bullshido.net private message system is only available to people with a post-count of 50 and over.

Good luck with the project.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast