Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2013 6:00pm

Style: Hokutoryu Ju-jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by frizzaro View Post
    Here in Brazil, the Capoeira it's not just a dance, the dancing aspects were used to decieve the slavemasters. When they have a "roda" (fighting circle), they choose if it's a "jogo" (game, just to practice) or " vera" (full contact with a lot of injuries). My brother-in-law is a "contramestre", with almost 20 years of Capoeira. And when he fights vera, he is a freaking monster.
    Sounds rad, any chance you could film one of his fights/sparring sessions? I for one would like to see a capoeira fight like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2013 7:18pm

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Wing Chun and Aikido

There are some "full contact" capoeira videos here on bullshido, look them up.

Posted On:
    1/09/2013 7:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hankido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arskanator View Post
    Sounds rad, any chance you could film one of his fights/sparring sessions? I for one would like to see a capoeira fight like that.
    Sure, I'll ask him a good day to make some records.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2013 8:44pm

Style: Hokutoryu Ju-jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigato View Post
    There are some "full contact" capoeira videos here on bullshido, look them up.
    Hnnngh, efffort.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2013 9:38pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here in Brazil, the Capoeira it's not just a dance, the dancing aspects were used to decieve the slavemasters. When they have a "roda" (fighting circle), they choose if it's a "jogo" (game, just to practice) or " vera" (full contact with a lot of injuries). My brother-in-law is a "contramestre", with almost 20 years of Capoeira. And when he fights vera, he is a freaking monster.
    I often hear about this sort of thing and got into a serious argument on MAP about it, but I have to wonder, couldn't the first guy to drop the dance and just start fighting win the fight if two guys are trying to fight with capoeira? I've played in the roda a couple of times in Japan and while I'm by no means good, I saw opportunities to launch a simple low round kick or teep or hell, a good stiff jab to the face that of course couldn't be thrown in the context of the jogo but sure seem preferable to continuing to ginga and get my jaw broken with a queixada. (I have no idea how to spell that last one.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2013 9:40pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Awesome.

His intro music is John Cafferty's "Hearts on Fire" from Rocky IV.

Joe "I've Got the Power" Sayah..not so much.
    He gives the traditional "your belt only covers two inches of your ass, the rest is up to you" speech at Seidokaikan promotions too. It's in Japanese of course, but I get the gist of it.

:)

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 12:39am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, Yimchaloi.

It's been pretty well answered, but Chun and Aikido don't have an answer for naked, raw aggression.

Aikido throws require a compliant partner. The chun lacks power b/c of its stance. Look up kinetic linking. Boxing, Muay Thai, Kickboxing etc generate power through it. The triangle stance is immoble, and prone to tackles...beyond its inability to properly engage the hips.

Things that seem painful, can be quite bearable when someone's adrenaline is up. A backfist in the nose would suck. During a thing, it would practically be a gift. Wade through it and give the magical right straight, left hook response.

WC's center line stuff ignores the effectiveness of attacks to the sides. Hook punches, roundhouse kicks, feints are also unaccounted for. If the chun techniques are geared towtoward making contact, at the expense having both hands guarding the head, then it can be exploited.

Jab, left hook undoes the chun. Anything feinting down the middle, and attacking from the side.

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 8:21am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt View Post
    I often hear about this sort of thing and got into a serious argument on MAP about it, but I have to wonder, couldn't the first guy to drop the dance and just start fighting win the fight if two guys are trying to fight with capoeira? I've played in the roda a couple of times in Japan and while I'm by no means good, I saw opportunities to launch a simple low round kick or teep or hell, a good stiff jab to the face that of course couldn't be thrown in the context of the jogo but sure seem preferable to continuing to ginga and get my jaw broken with a queixada. (I have no idea how to spell that last one.)
    That's what usually happens, they stop dancing a little e start to use the kicks in a more usual way, but they still using some ginga (de dancing moves) to add spin power to the kicks. Queixada is spelled key-sha-da and the meaning is "chin breaker". But when they stop dancing, they raise the guard, looks like a boxer waving with more footwork.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 8:24am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Queixada is spelled key-sha-da
    Pronounciation is spelled pro-noun-syay-shun.

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 8:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arskanator View Post
    Hnnngh, efffort.
    LOL! Let me help you with the research.
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast