226192 Bullies, 3893 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 31 to 40 of 155
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,996

    Posted On:
    1/02/2013 2:23pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yimchaloi View Post

    I'm not a master. I'm not an instructor. I'm not a pro-fighter. I'm not a bad-ass ninja wannabe. So please don't act like I'm on some sort of high horse. Reread how respectful and modest I've been
    When you have to point this out, it normally means you are taking things to personally and you aren't doing what you think.
  2. Yimchaloi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    64

    Posted On:
    1/02/2013 2:23pm


     Style: Taekwondo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See what I mean? I wasn't trying to insinuate that I'm a good grappler or a master of defending against it. You're assuming a lot here from what I said. It's like I'm being spoken down to just because I'm still learning. What's up with all the fucking elitism on here? I learned some basic stuff so I can better defend myself. Up against a even a decent grappler I'm prolly gonna be toast unless I can stay on my feet and take him out quick and he sucks at stand-up. Against a guy training MMA I'll most likely lose everytime. But some random guy on the street trying to just tackle me? Maybe now I can get him off me and get back to my feet to run away. Anytime I try to roll with a trained grappler I lose. Of course I do. How could just a few months teach me to be good? It doesn't. But a few months has taught me some of the things to look for. Now I'm not 100% helpless on the ground, just 98% helpless. I guess I don't understand why you thinking I'm pretending or denigrating anything here. I admitted that I sucked at something. So that's why I studied a little bit of it. I haven't learned all there is to learn, and I still want to get some more grappling training in someday. I really don't get where the **** all this elitism and condescending talk is coming from. Is it just because it's the internet? Seriously, guys?

    I dunno why I'm even responding to this. It's the internet and there's no way anybody ever admits that they were wrong on the internet. Instead they keep justifying their own ****. Whatever, dude. This was a thread with a simple question, and instead ya'll tried to talk down to me and berate me. There isn't anything I could fucking say here that you'd like by now, unless I agreed with you on all your opinions. I'm automatically the embodiment of all the things you disagree with.
  3. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,996

    Posted On:
    1/02/2013 2:28pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yimchaloi View Post
    See what I mean? I wasn't trying to insinuate that I'm a good grappler or a master of defending against it. You're assuming a lot here from what I said. It's like I'm being spoken down to just because I'm still learning. What's up with all the fucking elitism on here? I learned some basic stuff so I can better defend myself. Up against a even a decent grappler I'm prolly gonna be toast unless I can stay on my feet and take him out quick and he sucks at stand-up. Against a guy training MMA I'll most likely lose everytime. But some random guy on the street trying to just tackle me? Maybe now I can get him off me and get back to my feet to run away. Anytime I try to roll with a trained grappler I lose. Of course I do. How could just a few months teach me to be good? It doesn't. But a few months has taught me some of the things to look for. Now I'm not 100% helpless on the ground, just 98% helpless. I guess I don't understand why you thinking I'm pretending or denigrating anything here. I admitted that I sucked at something. So that's why I studied a little bit of it. I haven't learned all there is to learn, and I still want to get some more grappling training in someday. I really don't get where the **** all this elitism and condescending talk is coming from. Is it just because it's the internet? Seriously, guys?

    I dunno why I'm even responding to this. It's the internet and there's no way anybody ever admits that they were wrong on the internet. Instead they keep justifying their own ****. Whatever, dude. This was a thread with a simple question, and instead ya'll tried to talk down to me and berate me. There isn't anything I could fucking say here that you'd like by now, unless I agreed with you on all your opinions. I'm automatically the embodiment of all the things you disagree with.
    So, what you are saying is, you can't handle jokes, sarcasm, good advice and dissent which are all parts of common discourse. You just reinforced my post that you are now responding to.
  4. Yimchaloi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    64

    Posted On:
    1/02/2013 2:33pm


     Style: Taekwondo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I s'pose so. I'm a l'l butthurt about it, I'll admit. Sorry to whine, I guess. My original question was answered and I totally understand and agree with it. In fact, you guys gave such good answers that it really changed me outlook on some things. But then people started taking **** I said only to make assumptions and talk down to me. I guess I don't understand that part. A lot of my presuppositions were wrong and I learned why. But I don't know why I'm being mocked for asking and explaining why I had such erroneous thinking. I don't know why I'm being talked down to because I admit that I suck at some things and have studied them so I can start down the path of not sucking at those things. This is a little frustrating for me. I'm not a forum-poster anywhere, so this was me finally speaking instead of reading. And I'm regretting it now.
  5. Diesel_tke is offline
    Diesel_tke's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    4,006

    Posted On:
    1/02/2013 2:52pm

    supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, you need to step back for a second, let your heart rate slow and take some deep breaths. I just looked over the thread again, and I think you are preceiving sarcasm as actual insults. If you plan on staying on this site, you will need to get used to that. It comes with the teritory.

    But, the reason some people(myself included) assumed that you were not stating your true intent is because your questions are a little passive agressive. You ask a direct question about a specific art, then state you know nothing at all about that art. So then someone reading, thinks: so why do you care then? Must be some other motivation. Maybe there isn't, but we have seen it a thousand times on here, to we ere on the side of caution.

    No worries.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
  6. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,996

    Posted On:
    1/02/2013 3:00pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yimchaloi View Post
    I guess I don't understand that part. A lot of my presuppositions were wrong and I learned why.
    That's how many people post. You came to one of the more direct websites on the web concerning Martial Arts.


    But I don't know why I'm being mocked for asking and explaining why I had such erroneous thinking.
    Mocked? You should read your posts again. You aren't as humble or non-condescending as you think.

    I don't know why I'm being talked down to because I admit that I suck at some things and have studied them so I can start down the path of not sucking at those things.
    You know what? Many people suck and just as many talk like they are pro fighters. Again, you might want to read you posts again because I can show where you appear haughty, condescending, and a little arrogant. Some of us ignore it, other do not you know just like IRL.


    This is a little frustrating for me.
    Then take a little break as was recently suggested.

    I'm not a forum-poster anywhere, so this was me finally speaking instead of reading. And I'm regretting it now.
    Maybe you should get out more because I have similar conversations, about many different topics, that derail just like this IRL. If all of your conversations are very simple, respectful, humble and easy than I envy you.
  7. Yimchaloi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    64

    Posted On:
    1/02/2013 3:02pm


     Style: Taekwondo

    5
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If that's the case, then my sincerest apologies. I'll admit that I have perhaps more experience and knowledge than I'm letting on in my posts, but it's really so I can learn more. I'm not trying to goad people into anything or anything like that. I just had my 1st full-contact fight a few months ago and it's lit a fire in me and made me start studying and training differently. So many of my preconceived notions have changed as a result, and I'm in a process of trying to rectify a lot of problems I noticed I have in my own style/method of fighting (I don't mean style as in Style, I mean just how I personally move and behave). I have some experience in martial arts, but that fight was such an eye-opening experience that I've been studying lots of things lately. I still maintain that I am ignorant on these topics since I don't have actual 1st-hand knowledge, but this isn't my first day as a martial artist either. I'm not trying to be passive-aggressive, and my bad if I'm coming off like that. My intention here is truly to learn. That, and sometimes maybe talk shop with some fellow MA geeks.

    My apologies for misunderstanding and gettin' my panties in a knot.
    Last edited by Yimchaloi; 1/02/2013 3:04pm at . Reason: fixed bad run-on sentence
  8. MrGalt is offline
    MrGalt's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Back in Tennessee...sigh
    Posts
    955

    Posted On:
    1/02/2013 4:20pm


     Style: Seidokaikan

    5
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey mate, I'm sorry if I sounded confrontational too. I was really just trying to point out that you hit on three pretty hot topics around here. See my join date? Imagine how many trolls I've seen on this site since then. Multiply it by five for good measure. While you're at it, imagine how many times we have seen the EXACT question you used to start this thread posted.

    Most of the people who ask that question are either fans of aliveness looking for validation and preaching to the choir or fundamentalist TMA LARPers who then proceed to TELL us the answer, which usually involves something about deadly techniques, secret rules, the true nature of budo, or vaguely racist claims of Asian moral superiority. Occasionally it's just a troll pretending to be one of the latter.

    That's the baggage I and many other posters brought into the thread, and if your question is sincere, there's nothing wrong with going over it some more. While you're at it, take a look at some of the Mega threads. I can't imagine there aren't some good _ing _un/Aikido/MMA discussions in that category.
  9. Holy Moment is offline
    Holy Moment's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Shitsville
    Posts
    4,110

    Posted On:
    1/02/2013 5:28pm

    supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!






  10. ermghoti is online now
    ermghoti's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    2,186

    Posted On:
    1/02/2013 5:35pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yimchaloi View Post
    But please, don't mistake me: I'm trying to have a conversation, not start an argument or defend specific styles or declare superirority or anything like that.
    The problem is, an initial post exactly like yours shows up an average of twice a month, and the author almost always is, in fact, trying to start an argument, defending their superior style. You claim that's not your intent, and I can accept that based on your responses so far.

    The insults you're upset about? I don't see them. Since my first days on the Internet, I take a while, sometimes many days, reading posts before I write any. It helps me gauge the board's attitudes and etiquette, so I don't inadvertently rile the natives, or misunderstand razzing for an attack, and avoid rehashing tired subjects, or getting into a semantics duel with IIF.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.