Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/12/2013 10:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignorami View Post
    I on the other hand have found my previous Aikido training to be perfectly adequate. Certainly that is the case for most of the day-to-day occurrences here, and on a few cases, even described as overkill.
    The Aikido that I've had training in was useful for what we were doing. I've never had formal training in Aikido, just stuff they showed us at the academy, and inservice training. I liked a lot of it.

On a similar note, I've been training Taiji for years, and when people ask me if it is a good martial art, I usually tell them no. When they ask me if they should learn it for self defense, I usually tell them to take kickboxing.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    2/12/2013 10:29am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignorami View Post
    Certainly that is the case for most of the day-to-day occurrences here, and on a few cases, even described as overkill.

It is probably pertinent to point out however, that I am a designer at a print company.
    Missed that part! LOL!!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    2/12/2013 2:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Here it is called moon-lighting. You do that because you need the extra money. Once you no longer care about the extra money, you don't do those jobs any more. Yeah, it's usually the new cocks that try to get that duty because they want to be seen out in public to pick up chicks, and they haven't got any pay raises or promotions and are still sitting on the bottom of the pay scale. The more senior officers get first pick, and usually take the bank duty or sitting at a construction site reading a book.
    Jurisdictional difference, I guess:

For paid-duty hereabouts ("moonlighting"), club-districts never get the number of officers they need. OTOH, those firms requesting police guards for construction holes get 'em aplenty, and guarding a hole seems worth the $65.00 per hour it gets, while the same does not seem to be the case for paid-duty involving nightclubs.

Result: club-district has stepped-up regular beat-patrols rather than a lot of moonlighting cops. More than usual numbers of cops on bikes and horses, but all of them (they're virtually all young...really, really young) seem like they'd rather be anywhere else--like they'd just lost a lottery.

Posted On:
    2/12/2013 4:16pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Jurisdictional difference, I guess:

For paid-duty hereabouts ("moonlighting"), club-districts never get the number of officers they need. OTOH, those firms requesting police guards for construction holes get 'em aplenty, and guarding a hole seems worth the $65.00 per hour it gets, while the same does not seem to be the case for paid-duty involving nightclubs.
    Probably just the fact that you live in a real city. We don't have a club-district. We have a couple bars that think they are clubs. Most of them don't even have cops there regularly. Just bouncers. Some of the better ones let cops come in a moonlight there, but it is mostly just hanging out and talking to the bouncers.

The beach seen gets a little different in the summer, and they up the amount of patrol cops in that area, but that is due to political bitching by the County Commission.
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Posted On:
    8/20/2013 1:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: (kick)boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have only ever seen two wing chun practitioners attempt mma, and neither of them did BJJ, and instant death sentence. Wing Chun might work in mma, but we don't know because no one except arrogant pure-stylists has ever tried. I have never seen recognisable aikido in professional mma but it wouldn't surprise me if many fighters train it, as I found the short time I did aikido very beneficial to my footwork and stability in sparring and freefighting, even though I didn't use any of it's techniques.
    I did see a video of a one armed elderly aikidoka handing a poor quality 20-something year old mma enthusiast his arse in a non-professional mma bout, but I think this was a case of pitting one of the best against an amateur.
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516