Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 141516 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 12:16pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I'm a skatman- skeebedebedebambadambo
    Scat was forever ruined for me, by my friend Warren, who would use it during tales of drunken debauchery, to describe vomiting.

"So right about that time, I leaned over the railing of the apartment building, and let it all go - skeebedebedebambadambo"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 4:32pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A semi-serious attempt to get this back on topic: I just dropped aikido recently after 3 years of training. Also, my Jujutsu trainer moved away so I had to find something new and picked up No-Gi submission grappling. There i noticed how many bad habits I had cultivated from Aikido even though I was fully aware it wasn't real fighting training during my Aikido training. Such as keep giving the other guy the first move and turning my back occassionally. I also seriously lack explosiveness in my movements due to the "gentle" way to move in Aikido. So I studied Aikido for 3 and and now have to admit it actually made me WORSE at fighting.

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 5:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmH View Post
    So I studied Aikido for 3 and and now have to admit it actually made me WORSE at fighting.
    What have you learned?

I'll tell you.

Aikido is specifically meant to take you above fighting.

Float above all conflict. That's what you're trained for.

Well? Didn't I tell you that I'd tell you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 10:58pm

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    *takes notes: "Jazz...never...uses...time...signatures."*
    WHO SAID NEVER? WHO THE **** SAID NEVER???????

I'm not talking Dave Brubeck, I'm talking Sun Ra.
    Last edited by Bezmond; 2/08/2013 11:12pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 7:48am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Chuck has the whole site membership figured out. I'll bet he's written up DSM-IV codes for everyone.

So much for "intellectual humility".
    You think this site doesn't have a vocal minority of posters who exhibit excessive machismo and inflated egos? You don't think that people who feel a need to gratuitously insult or abuse someone before there is any possible reason to do so are feeding a desire they have because of weakness or insecurities of their own? If you disagree, fine, but I'm hardly engaging in advanced psychological speculation.

I don't think I'm exactly venturing out onto thin ice here, nor (as was clear in the post you replied to) was I talking about anything like most of the posters on Bullshido, let alone "everyone." You need to pay attention to words like "a few" and "a minority" and not convert them into "the whole site membership."

The narcissism thing was a particular discussion that actually happened. However, battlefields isn't the member to whom I was referring in that anecdote, if that's what his comment meant.

I didn't claim that I am any model of intellectual humility, either, though I certainly do better in that regard than some posters on the board. Training myself and others in certain highly rigorous kinds of intellectual activity has been my primary occupation for decades. For me to pretend that this makes no difference to my ability to formulate, analyze, and evaluate arguments compared to the average person with a relevant class or two back in college who likes to argue on the internet or in bars would make about as much sense as Omega saying that his MA expertise is the same as that of the typical guy who took a year of TKD when he was a kid, is in pretty good shape, and gets into a bar fight every once in a while, or for Rock Ape to say that his small arms expertise is on a par with someone who did basic training ten years ago and shoots cans in the back yard for fun on occasion.

So, am I sometimes guilty of excessive intellectual pride? Sure. But I am able and willing to admit when I'm wrong, I have no problem laughing at myself, and I don't have a delusional appraisal of my rational abilities (unlike some posters; again, not pointing to anyone here).

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 9:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Don't tell Dave Brubeck.
    It might just kill him.

Hmm.

How does one accomplish a funeral march in 5/4 time?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 10:36am

Style: dead lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt View Post
    I'd bet on the average construction worker who can lift heavy objects and swing a sledgehammer over the average karate or kung fu student..
    Totally Agree

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: 無木兔

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post
    tl;dr
    I hear you, even though I didn't read a word.

Post less Chuck, maybe you won't lose the reader so easily. Nobody wants to read walls of text no matter how eloquent the language or sound the reasoning. Clear and concise is how my old technical writing adviser put it.

Clear and concise, Chuck. Here we call it "Lurk more, post less".

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/09/2013 12:07pm at .

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 1:24pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm claiming the Waltz for Aikido.

**** you young MMA/BJJ guys, with your hippedy hop, and your freebasing, and your body-pooping.

The Waltz is classic, time tested and it was very popular during the war, so must be effective.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 2:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear you, even though I didn't read a word.
    Lazy

Post less Chuck, maybe you won't lose the reader so easily. Nobody wants to read walls of text no matter how eloquent the language or sound the reasoning. Clear and concise is how my old technical writing adviser put it.
    Speak for yourself.

Clear and concise, Chuck. Here we call it "Lurk more, post less".
    No, we don't. That's something else.

XOXOXO

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40