Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2013 11:23am

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    For your viewing pleasure, a Nobuaki Kakuda highlight:

Thanks, man. This is great nostalgia for me. I see a bunch of faces and places I used to see every week. Where he's doing leg press in the beginning is the weight room in the basement of our dojo. Somebody's going to get killed down there someday. :-)

The room with the slanted photos hanging over the window is the main floor of the dojo. You can usually see it in any YouTube video featuring a top-level Seido player. It's a pretty small world. That footage was way before my time but I'm unsurprised it hasn't changed a bit.

I'd love to do a dojo review of the place and recommend it for anybody who goes to Osaka but I'm not going to because the last review I wrote ended badly for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2013 1:03pm

Style: Kyokushin/Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt View Post

I don't mind, because it shaped my character and gave me a lot of insight into Japan that I wouldn't have had otherwise, but I sometimes think if I had just played Cap instead I'd be a much happier person.
    I love that Kyokushin is early enough in the day for me that I get to go to Capoeira right afterwards. I end my day exhausted and happy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2013 4:52pm

Style: Seidokaikan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epeeist View Post
    I love that Kyokushin is early enough in the day for me that I get to go to Capoeira right afterwards. I end my day exhausted and happy.
    I learned to endure things, suck it up and keep moving forward when it hurts, and other important life lessons that I was TOLD I would learn in the previous 14 years of krotty but only got lectures on from a pasty white guy in pajamas.

Number of lectures about character at the Souhombu: zero.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 2:07am

Style: Taekwondo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys, prolly TLDR here but:

After being a member of the forums for a little bit and reading enough posts here, I think I understand a lot of the hostility I faced when I first posted this. I know I apologized before but I'll apologize again. I'm sorry for my rudeness. I really wasn't trolling, I was trying to stay respectful and deferential while asking a sincere question. This question has since been answered, and ten-thousand more before I even knew to ask them! I do understand where you guys are coming from and I have had the same RL frustrations with certain stylists/schools/teachers, albeit not on the intarwebs.

I will say this tho', and please don't think I'm trying to excuse any shitty attitude I was showing in my posts or anything like that. After lurking around on the forums some more I've noticed that collectively you guys are sort of aggressive on n00bs even if they come with the good intentions. Like, this place even has a reputation for it outside of the site. Ignorant but willing to learn shouldn't be a problem, yeah? I had certain ignorant opinions on Aikido and Wing Chun which have since been dispelled thanks to you guys. I see that ya'll have to deal with a lot of trolls and all-around jackassery, but it seems that I - and other newbies here - sometimes feel a little overwhelmed by hostility when we stumble into conversations you guys've had many times before. I guess the aggression and desire to dispel ignorance is natural when we're all martial artists, but it's something to note the next time someone asks a question that you've seen a thousand times before.

Please don't take this post as condescending. That's not my intention. As sissy as I'm gonna sound, I say this all with an open heart. I felt real on the defensive when I first posted, and I only relatively recently understand why there was so much aggression. I know it's the internet, but... wisewordswisewordswisewords?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 5:16am

supporting member
     Style: bjj

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Wing Chun and Aikido

There's such an abundance of useful discussions and enlightening information around here. I just don't get why people don't search and read a little more before asking such questions that had been answered over and over again.

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 8:22am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wing chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think Aikido will work against a trained fighter who knows where their center of gravity is. As for WC, a lot of WC techniques are difficult to use in competition, such as lop sao, tan sao, and bong sao because western fighters pull their punches after striking. All oriental martial arts systems have something in common--they lock their punchs. Also traditional martial arts systems move on full beats, whereas modern fighters use half beats. In theory WC should be able to work in MMA as long as the practitioner keeps it simple. Also the WC fighter should be well versed in grappling.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 8:47am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hoops1232... You may note that your other posts have been shitcanned to Trollshido.

Time to pull your socks up and stop posting shite.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 9:54am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yimchaloi View Post
    Please don't take this post as condescending. That's not my intention. As sissy as I'm gonna sound, I say this all with an open heart. I felt real on the defensive when I first posted, and I only relatively recently understand why there was so much aggression. I know it's the internet, but... wisewordswisewordswisewords?
    The owner of the site has always encouraged unfettered debate. One of the consequences of this is that members are often plainspoken to the point of being rude. Others are simply rude from the start.

Bearing in mind that there is a sometimes negative signal to noise ratio, you can often find useful information in rude posts too. Other than that, hanging around here requires a thick skin. The staff moderates the site as little as possible. So, on one hand, we are definitely not like other heavily moderated sites like Martial Arts Planet (MAP), and on the other, discussions tend to be very frank, often to the point of rudeness.

As I stated previously, this is a natural consequence of light moderation. We value open debate more than politeness around here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 9:57am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigato View Post
    There's such an abundance of useful discussions and enlightening information around here. I just don't get why people don't search and read a little more before asking such questions that had been answered over and over again.
    True story, that. If I had taken the time to rifle through the forum first I would've seen the same question asked several times. I think it's a common noob mistake for forums in general, as frustrating as that may be. :-/

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 9:58am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yimchaloi View Post
    I know I apologized before but I'll apologize again. I'm sorry for my rudeness.
    Never

EVER

Apologise

On

The

Internet
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 ... LastLast