Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 7:20pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Dang, I was hoping you'd answer how your year of karate improved your punching from years of kickboxing.
    I'm also interested to know this. Unless it was cardio kickboxing...

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 9:34pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Look, I'm in Brisbane. You ever want to spar, my door is open, metaphorically. This is not an ego thing, I am literally offering to work with you, I'm offering you the chance to see why my training methodology will do exactly what you want and more. You'll get all those things you crave PLUS you'll learn how to fight. It's actually a really good deal.

I want to be clear, I don't want to "fight" you, nor do I want to "beat you up". I want to help you find what works in the techniques you've learned. There will be no malice, I spar every Friday with my mates and afterwards chill out with them, there's no ego. There can't be, most of my mates are significantly better than me, lol.
    Did I see that Volya is training at AMA now too? Anyway, if current discussions continue fruitfully over the weekend I may have only another 4 weeks of travelling to Brisvegas so I'll have to squeeze in a Friday night down there soon.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 3:44am

Style: dead lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Street vs ring? Again? really? Karate in and of itself isn't a problem. The TKD and TSD schools I attended in the 80s sparred hard. You can't find that anymore. Train hard in a hard sparring Kyokushin dojo and you are way ahead of the guy on the street (unless that guy wrestled in high school). The problem with karate in general is that it has been watered down, is train in ineffective ways and is not pressure tested the way that most combat sports are. It amazes me that people are still, this far after UFC 1, convinced that although they cannot prevail against someone on the mats under any given ruleset they will still be able to prevail on the streets without one. It's mindboggling.

I feel that a subsequent post about how you train to fight multiple opponents is not far off.
    I agree with most of what you said, but the part about "unless the guy wrestled in high school" PLEASE! You have got to be kidding.

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 3:52am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    Did I see that Volya is training at AMA now too? Anyway, if current discussions continue fruitfully over the weekend I may have only another 4 weeks of travelling to Brisvegas so I'll have to squeeze in a Friday night down there soon.
    Hey bro, yeah, Volya signed up. Look forward to seeing you on the mat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 5:56am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rnc357 View Post
    I agree with most of what you said, but the part about "unless the guy wrestled in high school" PLEASE! You have got to be kidding.
    Are you disagreeing that a former wrestler has an advantage over an untrained street fighter, or that a hard sparring karateka isn't way ahead of a former wrestler?

I'd say used-to-wrestle-in-highschool guy is way more effective than untrained tough guy in a fight, and karateka are sometimes about on par with untrained people when it comes to moving on the ground, unless they've done some crosstraining or crappling, if early style vs style is any indication.

Old NHB fights had karateka/taekwondo guys and/or untrained toughmen frantically bicycling their legs from under mount, try to bench press the other guy off him, hold onto crappy headlocks like its a real attack, or try to kick or knee the guy from underneath while the opponent sits in mount or sidemount. These are the sorts of shenanigans that someone who even used to be a good wrestler would scoff at and easily defeat.

I've competed against a number of types of martial artists, and plain old wrestlers have given me the most trouble. I'd say that it takes a good karateka to stop a decent wrestler.

Of course, there's always the chance that the former wrestler gets KTFO'd on the way in with his rusty old takedown and lack of striking background.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 7:27am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Back off MMA

You do realize that most wrestlers are advised to compete in bluebelt divisions at bjj competitions, right? Also I competed against a bunch of college freestyle wrestlers one time at a competition. They won most of the divisions they competed in. So I say to you: you have got to be kidding!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 10:29am

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Needer View Post
    ...From what I have seen, Kyokushin competitions are full contact knockdown but no punches to the face....Now the problem with the Kyokushin guys is sometimes they would get into a scrap at a local night club or pub. The one thing I noticed out of the few of those scraps I witnessed was that these guys would react in a real confrontation with a series of chest punches. Now this is obviously a generalisation, it is not to state that all Kyokushin fighters would react this way - however I remember thinking at the times when these scraps happened, that maybe these guys reacted this way because a lot of their free sparring involved lots of body work and very little head work.

From what I experienced with Shito Ryu Shukokai - yes, there were lots of head punches but it is a points sports karate...from what I experienced - excellent refinement of technique and point scoring ... but very little contact.
    You forgot to give a conclusion to your argument. You stated that
    1. Kyokushin trains with hard body shots but no head shots.
    2. Kyokushin fighters consequently don't punch to the head in "real" fights. (bullshit)
    3. Shukokai um...people train with light shots to the head and body.
    4. Shukokai people consequently _________________ in "real" fights.

My guess is "pull punches," which was always my nightmare when I did point krotty back in the day. It turns out I was right, too, because when I got to a knockdown karate school I spent a long time under-committing to techniques, failing to drive with my punches, and worst of all, stopping after I got in a good shot. After all, the ref was about to call stop, right?

I also laugh in the face of your whole "instinct" argument. Who cares if your instinct in a fight is to throw a hard right? If all that matters is instinct nobody should be training at all and this forum should shut right down. Apparently we can train to respond EFFECTIVELY rather than INSTINCTIVELY to stimuli.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 11:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    Yeah, I'm training there now. Need to come on Fridays for rolling and sparring. I am a lazy ****.

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 1:20pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Back off MMA

I read Gihin Funikoshi's autobiography. He considered wrestling an inportant prerequisite of karate. Wrestling traditionally was a common game for kids (less money for other activities). He devoted a small chapter about this in his autobiography.

Posted On:
    1/23/2013 8:35am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God-Damned Karateka!
    Getting all holier-than-thou, passive aggressive, and then rage quitting.

That's Aikido!

GET YOUR OWN TECHNIQUES!

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122