223524 Bullies, 4494 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 191 to 200 of 220
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101617181920 2122 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Vieux Normand is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,271

    Posted On:
    1/18/2013 12:24pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Needer View Post
    Now ... I don't dispute MMA, I am a fan of MMA.
    How does one go about "disputing" MMA? Or tennis? Or woodworking? There's nothing to "dispute"--one is either interested, in some or all of these, or one is not.

    Traditional karate has some value - especially in developing a strong right punch, and isn't this the instinctual technique in a self defense situation?
    I'm a southpaw. Talk to the hand. No, that one. 'Course, one could argue that southpaws should make sure they get enough right-hand training. Balance, symmetry, that sort of thing. Meanwhile, instinct may or may not be useful in a fight, depending on a number of variables.

    That's the point I was making, short and simple.
    *looks at thread*

    Congratulations on having a very creative definition of the term "short".
  2. Permalost is online now
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,516

    Posted On:
    1/18/2013 1:18pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Needer View Post
    * Traditional Karate is not complete bullshit - it taught me to punch better than other styles.
    You say you have a kickboxing background. How did karate teach you to punch better than kickboxing? Cause I'm thinking about it, and as your power punch turns from a proper cross to a classical reverse punch, it gets worse, not better- your non-punching hand shifts away from its defensive position, your back heel goes to the ground so you can't pivot on the ball of the foot and whip the hip as quickly, your stance gets overly wide yet narrow which takes away from the punching dynamics as well, and your head is not tucked into a defensive position.

    * MMA would beat karate in an MMA competition (and most likely in the street as well - but that would depend on the individuals, wouldn't it?).
    If you're saying this is one of your key principles, then stop saying people are "bashing you" when they say it too.

    * Real fights end quickly - reverse punch with your strongest arm is instinctively one of the first weapons of choice ... therefore traditional karate and its emphasis on strong linear reverse punches has some realistic value.
    -real fights are all sorts of lengths; they can last seconds or hours.

    -reverse punch is a straight thrusting technique that starts with the palm up. Look up random streetfights and you don't see reverse punches- you see hammerfists, hammerslaps, haymakers and whipping fists. You don't tend to see good elbow dynamics of straight punches in real fights.
  3. Diesel_tke is offline
    Diesel_tke's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    4,006

    Posted On:
    1/18/2013 1:40pm

    supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Needer View Post
    Now the problem with the Kyokushin guys is sometimes they would get into a scrap at a local night club or pub. The one thing I noticed out of the few of those scraps I witnessed was that these guys would react in a real confrontation with a series of chest punches. Now this is obviously a generalisation, it is not to state that all Kyokushin fighters would react this way - however I remember thinking at the times when these scraps happened, that maybe these guys reacted this way because a lot of their free sparring involved lots of body work and very little head work.
    First of all, if you can punch to the chest, you can punch to the face. It is not so ingrained in you that you can't simply adjust. Second, you are aware of the famous MMA fighter with a background in kyokushin, right? I'll give you a hint, GSP.

    You stated that the ultimate goal of 'the way' of martial arts is to kick butt. Perhaps for some martial arts but not necessarily for others. I joined Shito Ryu Shukokai because I am approaching middle age, I was slightly overweight and wanted to improve my health and fitness, flexibility, coordination, balance and self confidence. I needed stress release from the day to day grind. For me, karate was very effective in assisting me to reach these goals.
    You don't think this would be one issue people have with Karate? I mean, if you just want to improve health, fitness, flexibility, coordination, balance, and self confidence, all you need is a gym with a yoga class. Just because you started doing it for those reasons, doesn't mean that Karate is designed for that. It was designed as a combat system. Those other things are extra benefit that you can get without going to a Karate dojo. But if you can only get those things, and you can't learn to fight well, you must wonder, why am I here?

    As far as learning the "reverse punch" or cross or whatever you chose to call it. No that is not my go-to punch. I prefer a lead hand hook. It is closer to the opponent, you can deliver it with power, it comes from behind lots of people's defense, and most people don't see it coming.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
  4. DerAuslander is offline
    DerAuslander's Avatar

    Valiant Monk of Booze & War

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,451

    Posted On:
    1/18/2013 1:47pm

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Traditional karate does not emphasize linear reverse punches.
  5. Resonance10 is offline
    Resonance10's Avatar

    Welterweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SarfLondon UK
    Posts
    694

    Posted On:
    1/18/2013 3:18pm

    supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP, what is freestyle goju comprised of?
    Is it like this:

    http://www.drakedojo.com/Freestyle-Goju-Kai-Karate.html ?
  6. Jimmy Needer is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    18

    Posted On:
    1/18/2013 4:28pm


     Style: Karate, Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough.
  7. Jimmy Needer is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    18

    Posted On:
    1/18/2013 4:57pm


     Style: Karate, Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is the way I see it. You are a douche because of your attitude brah. You came on here, signed up and proceeded to stir **** because you have some chip on your shoulder.
    Read more at http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...JmPIQdccYlU.99

    Fair enough, I had that coming.
  8. Jimmy Needer is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    18

    Posted On:
    1/18/2013 5:04pm


     Style: Karate, Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezmond View Post
    I dunno. I used to train at a dojo with "actual" tough guys and we sparred with hard contact all the time. The competitions we entered were point sparring but that didn't mean I didn't get used to getting a beating a few times per week in training. So for what it's worth, I feel my black belt does mean something as I earned it with blood and pain and actual fighting. The couple of times I've goofed around with wrestlers I got thrashed. Doesn't mean my karate is useless, just means that my grappling is. C'est la vie. Only so many hours in the week.
    Yes, I agree there are some tough guys doing traditional karate - some of those Kyokushin guys are really tough, but I think it was sometimes more the man than the style. I was watched a Kyokushin competition once where a yellow belt guy won some kind of open men's division. The announcer told the crowd that 'here was an example of true warrior spirit'. Even though the guy had only trained a little while, he was beating guys with years of experience. He just wouldn't give up. Speaking of the announcer, he was a Kyokushin instructor and at one time coach for the Australian Kyokushin team. In a detailed conversation I had with him, he explained his concept of Budo ... he went along the lines that he would never accept his students cross training in another karate or other form of striking style, but he was more than happy for them to go learn judo for the grappling skills and also kendo. If my memory serves me well, he did not like the idea of them learning aikido though.
  9. Jimmy Needer is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    18

    Posted On:
    1/18/2013 5:10pm


     Style: Karate, Muay Thai

    -1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    Jimmy,

    You need to shut the **** up.
    Why? Because I'm being honest about what I think? Because my point of view is different? No it is YOU who needs to be quiet. I've done some lurking and from reading your posts on this and other threads, clearly you're a troll - cause you're just down right nasty to people. Don't bother with a reply, you are not worth the time or energy with a come back.
  10. mike321 is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,458

    Posted On:
    1/18/2013 5:16pm


     Style: kenpo, Wrestling

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Back off MMA

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Needer View Post
    Why? Because I'm being honest about what I think? Because my point of view is different? No it is YOU who needs to be quiet. I've done some lurking and from reading your posts on this and other threads, clearly you're a troll - cause you're just down right nasty to people. Don't bother with a reply, you are not worth the time or energy with a come back.
    It's the forum you are in that is the source of your frustration. Put up a post in Newbietown and say hello.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.