Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Needer View Post
    TL;DR Wall of Text #1
    Lurk more, post less. Post much less.

TL;DR Wall of Text #2
    See above.

Go ahead, tear it apart if you like, someone surely will.
    You should have posted in Newbietown first. Now you're just being a whining asshole.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 1/18/2013 11:09am at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 11:20am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jimmy,

You need to shut the **** up.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 11:59am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!

I am on this website to converse constructively ... not a fan of sparring keyboard warriors.
    You know, by definition, this is a contradiction and makes you a hypocrite?? People are willing to meet you and spar, therefore you saying no makes YOU, not them, the keyboard warrior.

Stop posting.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 1/18/2013 12:03pm at .

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 12:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now ... I don't dispute MMA, I am a fan of MMA.
    How does one go about "disputing" MMA? Or tennis? Or woodworking? There's nothing to "dispute"--one is either interested, in some or all of these, or one is not.

Traditional karate has some value - especially in developing a strong right punch, and isn't this the instinctual technique in a self defense situation?
    I'm a southpaw. Talk to the hand. No, that one. 'Course, one could argue that southpaws should make sure they get enough right-hand training. Balance, symmetry, that sort of thing. Meanwhile, instinct may or may not be useful in a fight, depending on a number of variables.

That's the point I was making, short and simple.
    *looks at thread*

Congratulations on having a very creative definition of the term "short".

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    * Traditional Karate is not complete bullshit - it taught me to punch better than other styles.
    You say you have a kickboxing background. How did karate teach you to punch better than kickboxing? Cause I'm thinking about it, and as your power punch turns from a proper cross to a classical reverse punch, it gets worse, not better- your non-punching hand shifts away from its defensive position, your back heel goes to the ground so you can't pivot on the ball of the foot and whip the hip as quickly, your stance gets overly wide yet narrow which takes away from the punching dynamics as well, and your head is not tucked into a defensive position.

* MMA would beat karate in an MMA competition (and most likely in the street as well - but that would depend on the individuals, wouldn't it?).
    If you're saying this is one of your key principles, then stop saying people are "bashing you" when they say it too.

* Real fights end quickly - reverse punch with your strongest arm is instinctively one of the first weapons of choice ... therefore traditional karate and its emphasis on strong linear reverse punches has some realistic value.
    -real fights are all sorts of lengths; they can last seconds or hours.

-reverse punch is a straight thrusting technique that starts with the palm up. Look up random streetfights and you don't see reverse punches- you see hammerfists, hammerslaps, haymakers and whipping fists. You don't tend to see good elbow dynamics of straight punches in real fights.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now the problem with the Kyokushin guys is sometimes they would get into a scrap at a local night club or pub. The one thing I noticed out of the few of those scraps I witnessed was that these guys would react in a real confrontation with a series of chest punches. Now this is obviously a generalisation, it is not to state that all Kyokushin fighters would react this way - however I remember thinking at the times when these scraps happened, that maybe these guys reacted this way because a lot of their free sparring involved lots of body work and very little head work.
    First of all, if you can punch to the chest, you can punch to the face. It is not so ingrained in you that you can't simply adjust. Second, you are aware of the famous MMA fighter with a background in kyokushin, right? I'll give you a hint, GSP.

You stated that the ultimate goal of 'the way' of martial arts is to kick butt. Perhaps for some martial arts but not necessarily for others. I joined Shito Ryu Shukokai because I am approaching middle age, I was slightly overweight and wanted to improve my health and fitness, flexibility, coordination, balance and self confidence. I needed stress release from the day to day grind. For me, karate was very effective in assisting me to reach these goals.
    You don't think this would be one issue people have with Karate? I mean, if you just want to improve health, fitness, flexibility, coordination, balance, and self confidence, all you need is a gym with a yoga class. Just because you started doing it for those reasons, doesn't mean that Karate is designed for that. It was designed as a combat system. Those other things are extra benefit that you can get without going to a Karate dojo. But if you can only get those things, and you can't learn to fight well, you must wonder, why am I here?

As far as learning the "reverse punch" or cross or whatever you chose to call it. No that is not my go-to punch. I prefer a lead hand hook. It is closer to the opponent, you can deliver it with power, it comes from behind lots of people's defense, and most people don't see it coming.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 1:47pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Traditional karate does not emphasize linear reverse punches.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 2:09pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread needs more verticle fisting

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 3:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP, what is freestyle goju comprised of?
    Is it like this:

http://www.drakedojo.com/Freestyle-Goju-Kai-Karate.html ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 4:28pm

Style: Karate, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough.