Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 10:06pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Needer View Post
    Traditional karate - ethics and techniques have value and are effective. Karate is not all impractical. The central point I was trying to make with my first post on this thread littered with mostly meaningless immature childish dribble is the importance of developing a strong reverse punch.
    Are you saying that your first post is littered with mostly meaningless immature childish dribble? If so, good on you, you're on your way. If not, then I shake my head and wag my finger at you, my middle finger, while calling you a mega douche.

As stated in previous posts I have trained in traditional karate and modern systems. I am not coming on line without detailed experience in just one or the other, but both.
    Your experience in modern systems requires more experience, that way your posts wouldn't come out how they have.

Of course karate also trains headbutts, elbows, knees, inner leg kicks, groin kicks, finger stabs to the eye, kick 'em when they're down etc, etc. That was not , my point, my point was the necessity and effectiveness of a strong hard punch - its basic bread and butter.
    Says you. In my opinion a good guard and footwork is much better than a strong hard punch. Some people will NEVER develop a strong hard punch, because they are small, weak or you.

Also, I don't think the bashing of traditional martial arts like karate is warranted.
    Depends on the system, it's training methodology and various other factors. Just because you don't think it is warranted, doesn't mean people with more experience do.

Live and let live ... karate will get you fit, keep you healthy and raise your confidence. It will also give you some essential self defense skills. Of course a karateka in the octagon would get his backside handed to him by an MMA fighter ... and probably on the street as well.
    Are you flip flopping?

But kicking someone's butt is not the ultimate goal of karate, its a Way.
    Are you fucking serious? In what universe is a martial art not designed to kick someone's butt?

Dudes who want to get online and deconstruct text and poke holes in something as simple as someone stating
    Hello.
    ... hey, a good hard right should be the foundation of solid MA training...
    I've already addressed this
    far out, stop wasting my time and grow the frak up.
    Only one person wasting their time here, bro.
    I am on this website to converse constructively ... not a fan of sparring keyboard warriors.
    We're not into one step posting here, bro, we don't throw a lunge punch in order for you to commit several punches and kicks to vital areas as we stand frozen just prior to you locking our arms up and putting us down. See how I made a connection between your karate one step sparring drills and internet posting, it works because you made a connection to internet sparring and us being keyboard warriors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 10:18pm

Style: Karate, Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is with the step by step block text sampling and deconstruction through insults? How is that constructive? I want to discuss techniques and principles and not character assassination. You don't know me, so don't assume.

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 10:31pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not character assassination.
    No one here knows you, how exactly is you character being assassinated?

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 10:38pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is with the step by step block text
    It helps address points in a coherent and relevant manner.
    sampling and deconstruction through insults?
    It is only insulting if you have insecurities, so you must have a lot of insecurities.
    How is that constructive?
    How is it not?
    I want to discuss techniques and principles
    Me too...
    and not character assassination.
    Nobody discussed character assassination. You assassinated your own character with your first post and you are still fighting that battle. Regarding above, did you mean that your first post was full of meaningless, childish, immature dribble, or that the thread was? Because if you meant the latter and still wonder why people would be antagonistic, well, **** you.
    You don't know me, so don't assume.
    You shouldn't assume that I am assuming anything. In fact, in order to not assume anything, I have purely responded to your posts, hence the quote blocks. That is why they are constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 11:28pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See, now you've gone and confused him, Battlefields. He's from Inala, smaller words and slower sentences my friend.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 11:51pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Back off MMA

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy
    Of course a karateka in the octagon would get his backside handed to him by an MMA fighter ... and probably on the street as well. But kicking someone's butt is not the ultimate goal of karate, its a Way.
    Or win a championship belt! Have you even bothered to check out the background of top mma fighters? Certain arts have higher representation and this leads to stereotypes. However, the top mma fighters are still coming from non mixed martial arts backgrounds. Training specifically for mma seems to be required but strangely enough people coming up as mma fighters do not dominate the top levels of the sport.

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 11:59pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Back off MMA

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy
    Of course a karateka in the octagon would get his backside handed to him by an MMA fighter ... and probably on the street as well. But kicking someone's butt is not the ultimate goal of karate, its a Way.
    Or win a championship belt! Have you even bothered to check out the background of top mma fighters? Certain arts have higher representation and this leads to stereotypes. However, the top mma fighters are still coming from non mixed martial arts backgrounds. Training specifically for mma seems to be required but strangely enough people coming up as mma fighters do not dominate the top levels of the sport.

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Achievements:
    Three Friends3 months registeredTagger Second ClassOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 12:34am

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is almost necro'd so hopefully this will be my last contribution to this thread so I can move on to others.
    Are you insane?

not a fan of sparring keyboard warriors.
    Yet here you are.

You don't know me, so don't assume.
    Yet here you are.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 1/18/2013 12:39am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 1:54am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I cannot speak of all systems of karate but I can discuss Kyokushin and Shito Ryu Shukokai. From what I have seen, Kyokushin competitions are full contact knockdown but no punches to the face. It was impressive to watch those guys in the flesh a few times dish it out to each other. In their comps they would often invite opponents from other styles of martial arts - strikers that is. In the context of a bare knuckle full contact knock down elimination competition (but with no punching to the face or grappling) - from the few comps I went along to watch, other striking styles did not fair well ... Kyokushin ruled supreme, like I said - those guys can take a beating. However this is of course within the context of Kyokushin rules.

Now the problem with the Kyokushin guys is sometimes they would get into a scrap at a local night club or pub. The one thing I noticed out of the few of those scraps I witnessed was that these guys would react in a real confrontation with a series of chest punches. Now this is obviously a generalisation, it is not to state that all Kyokushin fighters would react this way - however I remember thinking at the times when these scraps happened, that maybe these guys reacted this way because a lot of their free sparring involved lots of body work and very little head work.

From what I experienced with Shito Ryu Shukokai - yes, there were lots of head punches but it is a points sports karate. We did lots of technique training, some impact training and virtually no contact training. I only got up to orange belt (goes red, yellow, orange etc) and I was in a beginner's class so my awareness of this style is probably not entirely accurate anyway. However from what I experienced - excellent refinement of technique and point scoring ... but very little contact.

Yes, from the bashing I have received in my short time on Bullshido (just this thread), it seems clear so far that lots of people think karate is bullshit. I agree with some aspects of it being bullshit ... but in what context?

You stated that the ultimate goal of 'the way' of martial arts is to kick butt. Perhaps for some martial arts but not necessarily for others. I joined Shito Ryu Shukokai because I am approaching middle age, I was slightly overweight and wanted to improve my health and fitness, flexibility, coordination, balance and self confidence. I needed stress release from the day to day grind. For me, karate was very effective in assisting me to reach these goals.

I never joined traditional karate because I wanted kick someone's butt. I don't mind free sparring and semi contact competition - but I cringe at the idea of hurting another human being. I am not a 'tough' guy in that sense, never was, never will be.

In my humble opinion karate will help you in many ways, including providing some BASIC self defense skills. Don't get me wrong, any realist knows that a black belt in karate won't mean much against a real tough guy or someone used to hard contact and can fight well on and off his feet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 2:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    I have years of training in kickboxing and freestyle karate but that was 12 years ago. I only recently returned to these systems. I did a year of traditional karate in 2012. I remember watching the very early UFC but I have only recently started watching current MMA on cable. Still getting my head around the sport.
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81415161718 19202122 ... LastLast