Our Sponsors:

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71314151617 18192021 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 6:00pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post
    You are so right. Bruce Lee's comments about traditional styles are what allow other people to steal your lunch money, throw your hat on the roof, and push you down in the mud puddle on the playground
    it goes much deeper than that! If it werent for the oppressive words of a guy who died 15 yers before my karate kid inspired ma journey began I coulda been a contender. I woulda been UFC champion! Damn you Bruce and your dream crushing paraphrased words!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post
    If they don't stop it right now, you are going to have to get your big sister and tell on everybody!
    **** just got R347, I'm out....
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 7:36pm

Style: Karate, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is almost necro'd so hopefully this will be my last contribution to this thread so I can move on to others. I concede, too much bravado in my first post - copped a bashing for that. I'll take on some advice from some of the more constructive posts and give Bullshido a go . Now ... I don't dispute MMA, I am a fan of MMA. I train in Kickboxing and freestyle goju and I trained in traditional karate in 2012. Having trained in both I see the strengths and weaknesses of both. Traditional karate has some value - especially in developing a strong right punch, and isn't this the instinctual technique in a self defense situation? That's the point I was making, short and simple.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 7:45pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Needer View Post
    Traditional karate has some value - especially in developing a strong right punch, and isn't this the instinctual technique in a self defense situation? That's the point I was making, short and simple.
    This kinda sounds like a variation of "its good enough for the lowest common denominator, so its good", which is a pretty poor endorsement for anything.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 8:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Back off MMA

Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    This kinda sounds like a variation of "its good enough for the lowest common denominator, so its good", which is a pretty poor endorsement for anything.
    "I mean our restaurant won't give you food poisoning. Isn't that good enough?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 9:22pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Traditional karate - ethics and techniques have value and are effective. Karate is not all impractical. The central point I was trying to make with my first post on this thread littered with mostly meaningless immature childish dribble is the importance of developing a strong reverse punch.

As stated in previous posts I have trained in traditional karate and modern systems. I am not coming on line without detailed experience in just one or the other, but both.

Of course karate also trains headbutts, elbows, knees, inner leg kicks, groin kicks, finger stabs to the eye, kick 'em when they're down etc, etc. That was not , my point, my point was the necessity and effectiveness of a strong hard punch - its basic bread and butter. Also, I don't think the bashing of traditional martial arts like karate is warranted. Live and let live ... karate will get you fit, keep you healthy and raise your confidence. It will also give you some essential self defense skills. Of course a karateka in the octagon would get his backside handed to him by an MMA fighter ... and probably on the street as well. But kicking someone's butt is not the ultimate goal of karate, its a Way.

Dudes who want to get online and deconstruct text and poke holes in something as simple as someone stating ... hey, a good hard right should be the foundation of solid MA training... far out, stop wasting my time and grow the frak up.

I am on this website to converse constructively ... not a fan of sparring keyboard warriors.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 9:29pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    "I mean our restaurant won't give you food poisoning. Isn't that good enough?"
    "I mean, it's not like we train to punch OURSELVES in the face"

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 10:06pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Back off MMA

But kicking someone's butt is not the ultimate goal of karate, its a Way.
    And this is the problem people here have with [some] TMAists.

Karatedo most certainly is a "way", the way of the empty hand. The ultimate goal is to have the ability to kick butt.

In MAs, there are high percentage and low percentage techniques. The problem with some styles is that they are taught in a manner that doesn't allow one to discern the difference between the two. In turn, one will likely not be able to execute many, if any, of the techniques one spends hard earned money on to learn while under pressure (eg. street defense or in the ring).

Nobody here that isn't trolling will tell you that Karate, as a system (or group of systems), is bullshit.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 10:06pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Traditional karate - ethics and techniques have value and are effective. Karate is not all impractical. The central point I was trying to make with my first post on this thread littered with mostly meaningless immature childish dribble is the importance of developing a strong reverse punch.
    Are you saying that your first post is littered with mostly meaningless immature childish dribble? If so, good on you, you're on your way. If not, then I shake my head and wag my finger at you, my middle finger, while calling you a mega douche.

As stated in previous posts I have trained in traditional karate and modern systems. I am not coming on line without detailed experience in just one or the other, but both.
    Your experience in modern systems requires more experience, that way your posts wouldn't come out how they have.

Of course karate also trains headbutts, elbows, knees, inner leg kicks, groin kicks, finger stabs to the eye, kick 'em when they're down etc, etc. That was not , my point, my point was the necessity and effectiveness of a strong hard punch - its basic bread and butter.
    Says you. In my opinion a good guard and footwork is much better than a strong hard punch. Some people will NEVER develop a strong hard punch, because they are small, weak or you.

Also, I don't think the bashing of traditional martial arts like karate is warranted.
    Depends on the system, it's training methodology and various other factors. Just because you don't think it is warranted, doesn't mean people with more experience do.

Live and let live ... karate will get you fit, keep you healthy and raise your confidence. It will also give you some essential self defense skills. Of course a karateka in the octagon would get his backside handed to him by an MMA fighter ... and probably on the street as well.
    Are you flip flopping?

But kicking someone's butt is not the ultimate goal of karate, its a Way.
    Are you fucking serious? In what universe is a martial art not designed to kick someone's butt?

Dudes who want to get online and deconstruct text and poke holes in something as simple as someone stating
    Hello.
    ... hey, a good hard right should be the foundation of solid MA training...
    I've already addressed this
    far out, stop wasting my time and grow the frak up.
    Only one person wasting their time here, bro.
    I am on this website to converse constructively ... not a fan of sparring keyboard warriors.
    We're not into one step posting here, bro, we don't throw a lunge punch in order for you to commit several punches and kicks to vital areas as we stand frozen just prior to you locking our arms up and putting us down. See how I made a connection between your karate one step sparring drills and internet posting, it works because you made a connection to internet sparring and us being keyboard warriors.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 10:18pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is with the step by step block text sampling and deconstruction through insults? How is that constructive? I want to discuss techniques and principles and not character assassination. You don't know me, so don't assume.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 10:31pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not character assassination.
    No one here knows you, how exactly is you character being assassinated?
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71314151617 18192021 ... LastLast