Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    1/07/2013 5:14am

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything that was needed to have been said was said. These guys know their ****: listen well. Also, good luck on your tournament.

Posted On:
    1/07/2013 11:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aznraven View Post
    I disagree with ^^^^^^^^^^^^ I think taking a new system in a different aspect (grappling) where you have almost no knowledge in (like me) and not really covered in your style, it is not really much of a hindrance.

If you are doing Kyokushin Karate for stand-up, know that the grappling is non-existent. Step sparring "grappling moves" can hardly be used and your are not even allows to grab any part of your opponent in sparring. So do Judo and learn what you need for grappling without any attachment from KK.
    The transference-versus-interference debate is likely as old as sport. Example: does learning badminton interfere or aid in the learning of tennis?

Far less debate has occurred when it comes to learning two very different activities at the same time. As there is little similarity, there can be little potential for interference. In terms of general fitness, there might be benefit to learning more than one MA simultaneously. In terms of a better-rounded ability to defend yourself, maybe yes. I prefer to have a base style, but that might simply be a personal choice on my part.

In any case, as stated elsewhere in the thread, your focus should be on any event for which you've already signed up (your tourney). Best of luck.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    1/07/2013 6:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Budo_Brown View Post
    I'm sure I will take it longer than a year. That's good to know with enough training that even at 5'8 I'll be able to throw bigger people. I just picked up the book "mind over muscle" by Jigoro Kano. Being how educated he was and the founder of Judo, I'm expecting a good read. Just from what I've seen of Judo the footwork is quite a bit different from Kyokushin footwork. It will be a task to merge the two into an effective fighting style.
    I don't think "Mind over Muscle " was directly penned by Jigoro Kano. I believe he only wrote one book about Judo. But in any case...

As far as the footwork goes, once you get good enough at Judo it won't be a problem. but that will take longer than a year for sure. Being able to merge the two will also depend on how strong you understanding of kyokushin is.

***Edit***I see from further reading that you an ;utter noob in KK and don't even train Judo yet. Trying to intellectually analyze and integrate the two at this point is futile. There is a lot more to learning Judo (and I assume KK or anything else for that matter) than mechanical techniques/footwork/tai sabaki etc.

Having a strong base in either will serve you well. I did some karate/TKD after having about 10 years into Judo. My Judo training influenced how I approached sparring a LOT, and integration was fairly easy. Some of the influence was good, some not so good from the point of view of practicing "purely" the striking arts.

However, if you ;end up enjoying training both KK and Judo, more power to you. As others have noted, focus on your KK and shiai prep for now.

Obukan is of course a strong dojo, I know 2 or 3 instructors there.

Ben
    Last edited by BKR; 1/07/2013 6:34pm at .
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/07/2013 7:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I don't think "Mind over Muscle " was directly penned by Jigoro Kano. I believe he only wrote one book about Judo. But in any case...
    It's a compilation of various excerpts and magazine articles, all by him but edited together by unnamed (at least on my copy) peoples at the Kodokan.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    1/08/2013 6:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    It's a compilation of various excerpts and magazine articles, all by him but edited together by unnamed (at least on my copy) peoples at the Kodokan.
    Cool, thanks for the info. For some reason I thought it was translated by a particular non-japanese author.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2013 7:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Budo_Brown View Post
    until he moved to Utah...
    You in Portland? Your instructor was in Utah? Who is he and did he teach in Utah? I didn't hear about any Japanese KK Sensei and we'd of dug it if we'd known.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 1/08/2013 7:39pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2013 10:32pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    You in Portland? Your instructor was in Utah? Who is he and did he teach in Utah? I didn't hear about any Japanese KK Sensei and we'd of dug it if we'd known.
    Yes sir, I'm in Portland. My Sensi is Shihan Ito. His first name is Yoshifuma. He trained and taught in Utah when he first moved to the states from Japan. One of his students there opened his own dojo. Here's the info for that dojo:
    Kyokushin Utah, Dojo at BYU (Provo, UT)
    Leader: Alfredo Chandia, 4th Dan
    Phone: 385-204-2501

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2013 9:55am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only thing you will learn in one year of Judo is that it is the greatest thing ever created by man on this earth.

And no, I'm not joking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2013 11:04am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by twan55 View Post
    The only thing you will learn in one year of Judo is that it is the greatest thing ever created by man on this earth.

And no, I'm not joking.
    This x1000.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2013 10:30am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judojeff View Post
    Really all of my judo readings have been more technique based then philosophical, you will have to tell me if it is any good.

How long have you been doing judo? My experience is that at 3 years in I am finally figuring out what suits me best...although I have thought this before so maybe 6 months from now I will be saying this all again.
    You could be saying this in 30 years.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast