Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 7:43am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is always a boxing gym around, they can just be hard to find. 6 months of boxing training would put you at an amateur competition level. Your current skill set would get you hurt.

Have you heard of these guys?

Corvinos Boxing Club
    1109 McCleary St
    Wausau WI 54401-6179
    715-848 5494
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 11:24am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I looked. That was just a guy who trained a few folks outta his garage. Which is fine, but it doesn't exist anymore. I looked for it years ago, and it doesn't exist anymore. I asked around, and that's how I heard about it. I seem to remember some guy teaching boxing at the boys'n girls club like... 15 years ago. I'm guessin' it was the same guy, but nowhere to be found now. :-( But yeah, I'll keep looking. But if my instructors and no other martial artist in town and google can't help me... I mean, I live in a town of 40k and I've been here most of my life. I'm pretty sure there isnt' one, but I'm not keepin' my eyes shut to the possibility. I'll check and see if this is the same dead-end, but if it's not? Then I owe you a huuuge flippin' high-five! I'll give a call later today.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 11:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, just called and no answer. But I'll call again later today. Looking at the address tho', I remember looking all there when I was huntin' fer a boxing gym a couple years ago and couldn't find it. I'm pretty sure this is the same dead-end. My town is very limiting. For instance, I only started up TKD because we didn't have hardly any other stand-up schools in town and my friend's dad happened to be the instructor of the best one in town at the time. I'd love to move to a bigger town with some more options, but... *shrugs*

EDIT: I found a forum asking about the club. It is no more. http://uscombatsports.com/forum/wisc...au-boxing-club

While I am taking your advice to heart, guys, Lah and Sam and several other cage-fighters - some of them pro - advised me to accept the last fight and are actually looking forward to my next one. So while I do not doubt in the least that I am lacking in quite a few skills, I think maybe you guys are thinking my competition is going to be a lot better than they are. That doesn't mean that you guys aren't right about my skill-level - the video is pretty darn hard to argue against. But unless those guys are worried about my safety, I don't think I'm gonna withdraw from my next fight. I think I'm just gonna train my fuckin' ass off and take it from there. With all the critiques I'm gettin', I'm finding so many important areas to improve and work on. I may not be up to par for you guys or for the guys you fight, but the local ammys perhaps aren't as good as ya'll are thinkin'? I should remind ya'll that I already know who my opponent is and I saw him fight. He's got about the same skill level as me and has the same 1-0 record as me too.
    Last edited by Yimchaloi; 1/03/2013 11:52am at . Reason: found more info, didn't wanna spam

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 11:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know, I know... and no, I won't come cryin' to you guys when I get my ass handed to me. I'll come back head bowed and show you guys the footage so you can laugh - and then give me more advice on what got my ass kicked.

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 9:52pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yimchaloi View Post
    I know, I know... and no, I won't come cryin' to you guys when I get my ass handed to me. I'll come back head bowed and show you guys the footage so you can laugh - and then give me more advice on what got my ass kicked.
    Honestly at the sub 5 fight level you can with fights with aggression, fitness and no technique. I would be less concerned with losing a fight than not improving as a fighter.

With no quality instruction your training will stall out quickly. Taking Amy fights should. E a catalyst to improving your skills, not as the end goal itself.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 11:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the sage advice, Sang. From what I've seen, your assessment of sub 5 fights is spot on. Hence my victory. In the end, I simply wanted to win more than he did. To be honest, while I was prayin' for a win my primary concern was just to fight well and give it my all. I'm grateful for my victory. I worked hard for it, and I have a lotta respect for my opponent. :-)

That's exactly what this last fight was: a catalyst for change. As soon as that bell rang half the **** I thought would work was absolute bullshit. I am the exact opposite of resistant to change after that experience. I really learned a lot about myself and the difference between point-sparring and actually fighting. I'm at square one again: except with the knowledge that every day brings me closer to some guy trainin' to knock me out. There is no better drive for improvement than that!

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 11:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The main problem is that An arse kicking won't improve your technique, itll just make you tougher. Being aware of your failings doesn't mean youll be able to fix them without supervision.

An average coach would have already fixed most of the errors pointed out in this thread. If I were you a d couldn't find any decent striking gyms in the area I"d switch to grappling under those awesome mma coaches for a bit.

Just want to say that I do like your drive to test you real capabilities in A fight, keep it up.
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 11:41pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just want to say that I do like your drive to test you real capabilities in A fight, keep it up.
    Word. Technique can be fixed, but you can't teach spirit.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234