• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 4:15pm

Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -Your guard is nonexistent, and you don't seem to have any defense against punches other than to reach for parries, which is also not the way to properly parry. You have to wait for the punch to get closer to you, otherwise someone with good timing will just loop around your wild parry and deck you.

-Don't lead with your face. Your chin is sticking way out past your shoulders for most of this, and the only reason you didn't get lit up is because your partner sucks.

-Related to the above, keep your effing hands up. All the time. You aren't as slick as you seem to think you are, but luckily you don't seem to be pretty enough for it to be an issue. Still, get your freaking hands up. And I mean UP, not "knuckles touching the bottom of your chin".

-Stop crossing your feet. Almost every step you took was crossing, and you're going to get your knees knocked together or swept against anyone who knows how to throw a decent leg kick.

-Stop switching stances. You probably think it's unpredictable and gives you more attack options, but most people who aren't Anderson Silva or Jose Aldo are just going to get smacked around on the other side because they don't really train it. Being competent in one stance is hard enough without screwing around with the opposite side. It doesn't really make you twice as tricky, it makes you half as good.

-More basic combos, less randomly-thrown-out flashy crap. Try to ditch the flashy crap altogether until you get a handle on the basics. If you can't land a decent 1-2, you probably can't land a spinning hook kick either. It's not a bad thing to have some tricks in your back pocket to surprise an opponent with, but this is a true case of having to know the rules before you can break them.

I could keep going, and I'm not trying to get you down here, but my real advice is this- call off your fight. Get to a legit muay thai or kickboxing gym and drill the **** out of the basics, because you're missing a lot of really remedial-level stuff here, and if you step into the ring against someone halfway decent, you're going to get hurt. I saw the other fight video you put up, and you got lucky that your opponent was more interested in looking like he was in a kung fu movie than getting down to brass tacks.

I've been in your position, and it sucked. Do you actually have a coach right now? Your original post makes it seem like you don't.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 4:29pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    -Your guard is nonexistent, and you don't seem to have any defense against punches other than to reach for parries, which is also not the way to properly parry. You have to wait for the punch to get closer to you, otherwise someone with good timing will just loop around your wild parry and deck you.

-Don't lead with your face. Your chin is sticking way out past your shoulders for most of this, and the only reason you didn't get lit up is because your partner sucks.

-Related to the above, keep your effing hands up. All the time. You aren't as slick as you seem to think you are, but luckily you don't seem to be pretty enough for it to be an issue. Still, get your freaking hands up. And I mean UP, not "knuckles touching the bottom of your chin".

-Stop crossing your feet. Almost every step you took was crossing, and you're going to get your knees knocked together or swept against anyone who knows how to throw a decent leg kick.

-Stop switching stances. You probably think it's unpredictable and gives you more attack options, but most people who aren't Anderson Silva or Jose Aldo are just going to get smacked around on the other side because they don't really train it. Being competent in one stance is hard enough without screwing around with the opposite side. It doesn't really make you twice as tricky, it makes you half as good.

-More basic combos, less randomly-thrown-out flashy crap. Try to ditch the flashy crap altogether until you get a handle on the basics. If you can't land a decent 1-2, you probably can't land a spinning hook kick either. It's not a bad thing to have some tricks in your back pocket to surprise an opponent with, but this is a true case of having to know the rules before you can break them.

I could keep going, and I'm not trying to get you down here, but my real advice is this- call off your fight. Get to a legit muay thai or kickboxing gym and drill the **** out of the basics, because you're missing a lot of really remedial-level stuff here, and if you step into the ring against someone halfway decent, you're going to get hurt. I saw the other fight video you put up, and you got lucky that your opponent was more interested in looking like he was in a kung fu movie than getting down to brass tacks.

I've been in your position, and it sucked. Do you actually have a coach right now? Your original post makes it seem like you don't.
    That is why I posted my comment to learn Muay Thai........I think he stated he is a TKD guy which as we can see is useless in the event he is trying to participate in. Good advice by the way. I am glad you had the patience to list all the things you saw. I did not feel like writing a whole lot.

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 4:33pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    That is why I posted my comment to learn Muay Thai........I think he stated he is a TKD guy which as we can see is useless in the event he is trying to participate in. Good advice by the way. I am glad you had the patience to list all the things you saw. I did not feel like writing a whole lot.
    I know he's a TKD guy, I just don't know if he's currently training any form of kickboxing under a coach's supervision. The "more experienced eyes" thing makes me think that he's training on his own.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 4:41pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    Learn Muay Thai
    this... i watched your other video of your fight as well, and while your flashy kicks are pretty good, your basics need work. crossing feet, dropping hands, not setting up kicks, all these things need to be drilled out of you.

oh and you arent roy jones. the amount of people i see who try the low lead hand **** and get knocked the **** out makes me sad. dont be that guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 4:51pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have a kickboxing coach, but I have a TKD instructor. While he is a great teacher, I don't feel I'm getting a lot outta the class other than a great workout tho'. There isn't really a non-aerobic-type of kickboxing class in town, and I'm not really a kickboxer as you can clearly see. I mean, if there was a MT school I'd love to sign up! But this first fight was just outta nowhere and I did it on a whim. The last fight was local and I was asked to fight by one of my customers who happened to be involved. There was a purse and I always wanted to do at least one full-contact fight before I die so I tried my luck. And like you said, I lucked out. The kickboxing thing is new for me, and I'm obviously out of my element. I've been considering taking up an MMA class to help me with my striking to get ready for the next one. I don't think I'm terrible, but you're right: there are a lot of remedial things I need to work on. If I can't even land a decent 1-2 and have my chin out that much, a better fighter will **** my world up this next time. And he won't need to be much better.

I still have the itch to go again, tho'. I've never had a feeling quite like that. It was absolutely amazing! I don't think I'mana make a career out of it or anything, but I'd love to do one or two more maybe. Just for the experience of it. I mean... wow! It's the biggest rush I've ever had! By the end of the fight I didn't even care who won, it just felt amazing to push myself like that and leave 100% of it on the ring. But if the next time I get seriously beat up and beat down in front of all my friends and everybody else, I doubt I'll feel as amazing and thrilled about it.

Thank you /very/ much for your honest criticism. The problem with asking friends is that they'll sugar coat things and I don't need to have my face caved in because my homies were trying to be polite. As far as calling the fight off? I know who my opponent is and I've seen him fight. He's not bad, but I think he's at the same level as I am. He trains at the same gym as my last opponent too. Friendly guys. I haven't signed the contract yet, but for now I'm going to train as if I'm still fighting. I'll figure out my next move in a few weeks. And if I choose to fight and get my ass handed to me, I'll show you a pic of my face and think hard on goin' against yer advice again. Thank you again! That is a lot of stuff for me to pay attention to and work on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 5:01pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yimchaloi View Post
    I don't have a kickboxing coach, but I have a TKD instructor. While he is a great teacher, I don't feel I'm getting a lot outta the class other than a great workout tho'. There isn't really a non-aerobic-type of kickboxing class in town, and I'm not really a kickboxer as you can clearly see. I mean, if there was a MT school I'd love to sign up! But this first fight was just outta nowhere and I did it on a whim. The last fight was local and I was asked to fight by one of my customers who happened to be involved. There was a purse and I always wanted to do at least one full-contact fight before I die so I tried my luck. And like you said, I lucked out. The kickboxing thing is new for me, and I'm obviously out of my element. I've been considering taking up an MMA class to help me with my striking to get ready for the next one. I don't think I'm terrible, but you're right: there are a lot of remedial things I need to work on. If I can't even land a decent 1-2 and have my chin out that much, a better fighter will **** my world up this next time. And he won't need to be much better.

I still have the itch to go again, tho'. I've never had a feeling quite like that. It was absolutely amazing! I don't think I'mana make a career out of it or anything, but I'd love to do one or two more maybe. Just for the experience of it. I mean... wow! It's the biggest rush I've ever had! By the end of the fight I didn't even care who won, it just felt amazing to push myself like that and leave 100% of it on the ring. But if the next time I get seriously beat up and beat down in front of all my friends and everybody else, I doubt I'll feel as amazing and thrilled about it.

Thank you /very/ much for your honest criticism. The problem with asking friends is that they'll sugar coat things and I don't need to have my face caved in because my homies were trying to be polite. As far as calling the fight off? I know who my opponent is and I've seen him fight. He's not bad, but I think he's at the same level as I am. He trains at the same gym as my last opponent too. Friendly guys. I haven't signed the contract yet, but for now I'm going to train as if I'm still fighting. I'll figure out my next move in a few weeks. And if I choose to fight and get my ass handed to me, I'll show you a pic of my face and think hard on goin' against yer advice again. Thank you again! That is a lot of stuff for me to pay attention to and work on.
    If there is not a MT gym around at least join a boxing gym so you can learn decent footwork and learn to punch correctly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 5:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not making excuses here, but there's no boxing gym either. I **** you not. Not even like a boxing club for the college or anything. I'm not afraid of putting in the work and I love both boxing and MT and would be thrilled to learn either of them, or both if I could afford it! They just aren't in my shitty hometown. I looked a couple years ago and I looked again recently, but still nuthin'. I think my best bet to improve my striking and hand game is to go to a MMA gym; we have some great MMA coaches here. Doing hand drills without a coach who knows what he's doing is clearly giving me some shitty habits. And then I'll just have to spend more time unlearning that garbage before I can improve.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 5:20pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, where's your competition training?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 5:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A gym in a different town a couple hours away. All the fighters are from Wisconsin, and there were only four from my hometown including me. Two others fought independent, and one fought out of an MMA stable. There are dozens and dozens of MT or boxing gyms all around Wisconsin, just not in my hometown is all. Kickboxing and MT are huge in Milwaukee, I know, but don't live anywhere near there. My town has karate schools, TKD schools, and MMA schools. Oh! And Tai Chi. But that's about it. I think a town nearby has a fencing club, maybe? lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 5:32pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems kind of weird that there is a MMA gym that doesn't have a MT class or anything like that. Does that seem odd to anyone else? Does this school have a website?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast