Posted On:
    1/01/2013 10:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Getting back into shape!

Hi all, 1st post here.

I've stopped training (and exercising in general) for about 3 years and want to get back up into shape. Different work environment and a new gym opening nearby kinda opened up both my time and wallet for this.

Historically, I got all my exercise before my classes start by going early and doing it then and there. I didn't really exercise at home or anywhere else. I went to 3 classes a week, 2+hrs each class. So basically I'm a gym-noob and need help in understanding not just what I should do at a gym, but whats what on a basic level.

The said new gym opens in 4 months, and I'm starting to do some basic exercises and stretches at home in lieu of this. Interestingly, they emailed me and said I can go to any of their other Gyms while waiting for the one I signed up for to open. The nearest one isnt overly far, but inconvenient in terms of driving to it due to jams.

What kind of routine should I be doing at home, and if I was to go to said 'nearest' gym once a week, what machines/exercises should I do?

Note: I'm looking for overall weight loss and general fitness at the start, nothing specific yet. Leg strength and flexibility would be the next thing after that.

Note2: Right now I'm at 3x25 push-ups, 3x25 sit-ups, 2x2 chin-ups, 3km jog with slight incline.

Thanks!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 11:07am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That workout is a good start. How many days a week are you doing it? Lots of other stuff you can add to it. Squats would be my first suggestion. You could even add them to your run. Stop every km and do 30 squats. Or add some sprint's into your run. Even a small workout every day is better than no workout.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 11:20am

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Claus View Post
    That workout is a good start. How many days a week are you doing it? Lots of other stuff you can add to it. Squats would be my first suggestion. You could even add them to your run. Stop every km and do 30 squats. Or add some sprint's into your run. Even a small workout every day is better than no workout.
    Theoretically everyday... but the dinners been heavy over Christmas... so say 4 times a week lately? :P

30 squats. I'll see how many I can do. Never really did them.

Hmm, does squatting over the toilet bowl count as one squat or a series of squats?

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 12:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What has been working for me is basically my "nothing boring" workout. I hit and kick the bag, do cartwheels, handstands, swiss ball, variations of pushups, medicine ball slams, bag slams, gnp on the grappling dummy, plyo jumps. Always trying to mix it up. Trying to get into more of a "play" mentality than thinking of it as a chore.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 12:59pm

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a lot of simple exercises that you can do in or around the home:

Burpees (from standing, squat down, kick your legs out to a pushup position, bring your legs in and jump up) are a simple full body exercise.

Planks (hold the push up position either with arms locked or on your elbows for 30 seconds to a minute) can help build abdominal muscle endurance.

Flutter kicks (lay on your back with your hands under your tailbone for support. Lift your legs 6" off the ground and alternate straight leg kicks. For extra fun, hold your legs straight at six inches for 30 seconds to a minute.)

8 count body builders. (From standing, drop down and go to push up position like a burpee, do two push ups, kick open your legs and then bring them back together, then stand up like a burpee.)

Now, if you add dips, crunches, etc. to the above and do a circuit of all of the above 3 times, you got your self a quick HIIT set. If you don't break a sweat, do 'em faster!

As far as the gym, when it opens up, most will give you an introductory training on the equipment (it limits the gyms liability when they now you know how to use the stuff) and will often offer a one time personal training session.

Good luck.

Posted On:
    1/14/2013 9:38am

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doc8404 View Post
    There are a lot of simple exercises that you can do in or around the home:

Burpees (from standing, squat down, kick your legs out to a pushup position, bring your legs in and jump up) are a simple full body exercise.

Planks (hold the push up position either with arms locked or on your elbows for 30 seconds to a minute) can help build abdominal muscle endurance.

Flutter kicks (lay on your back with your hands under your tailbone for support. Lift your legs 6" off the ground and alternate straight leg kicks. For extra fun, hold your legs straight at six inches for 30 seconds to a minute.)

8 count body builders. (From standing, drop down and go to push up position like a burpee, do two push ups, kick open your legs and then bring them back together, then stand up like a burpee.)

Now, if you add dips, crunches, etc. to the above and do a circuit of all of the above 3 times, you got your self a quick HIIT set. If you don't break a sweat, do 'em faster!

As far as the gym, when it opens up, most will give you an introductory training on the equipment (it limits the gyms liability when they now you know how to use the stuff) and will often offer a one time personal training session.

Good luck.
    You are right about the gym opening, I heard they do that at the start.

Trying to get into more of a "play" mentality than thinking of it as a chore.
    Yea, I'll try the HIIT after a wedding this weekend! Seems more interesting.

Sorry for the late reply, lost this site's address... couldnt spell it to save my life. :S

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/14/2013 10:52am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zavia View Post
    Theoretically everyday... but the dinners been heavy over Christmas... so say 4 times a week lately? :P

30 squats. I'll see how many I can do. Never really did them.

Hmm, does squatting over the toilet bowl count as one squat or a series of squats?
    That counts as a half squat.

If I were you, I would keep doing that workout you are doing, hoping to increase the pullups, of courese, and just stay with it for a while. Don't jump into a gym membership until you have got burnt out on this workout.

My workouts are a lot more like Vorpal's. But instead of the GnP and bag work, I do stick and knife work with lots of footwork drills. My off days consist of pushups, dips, pullups, and squats. It has been a winning combination for me.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    1/14/2013 10:58am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get yourself one of this resistance bands

Youtube is a great tool, you will find a lot of good stuff there on how to train with no gym, or no weights.
    For general fitness running is a great basis. Also climbing steps (tall buildings near you) incorporated with light jogging/walking etc.
    A personal favorite of mine is putting 3 kilo ankle weights around my wrists, and one kilo ankle weights around my ankles and going for a walk and climbing up staircases every now and again to pump up the hart.
    They are cheap, and easy to store, even if you have a gym membership you sometimes come home too late for it and a nice short "power walk" or a run and exercising band will do nicely.
    Go to your local sport store and look for stuff like that that can really enrich your home workouts (springs, jump rope, weights, pull up bar etc. ) they are cheap and last for years and years.