Posted On:
    1/02/2013 4:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    It wouldn't matter to you.
    Nothing you do matters, it seems.

You'd still find anything you could to troll; my rims wouldn't be chromed enough, my Puerto Rican house maid's tits would point in different directions, etc, etc.
    I'm just pointing out how quickly you dismissed a valid suggestion, and where you might be had you taken said advice.

Yet I have a job that is willing to work around my schedules.
    That sounds like an issue with your priorities.

You do realise that sanitation is very competitive here. If you have the slightest **** up on your application it gets thrown out. Aside from that, most positions require you get a B or A endorsement on your license. We have but a few people still riding on the back of trucks yet people already with said endorsement AND driving experience applying for these jobs.
    Oh, sure, now i see.
    You think you'll do fine with "computers", but sanitation is too competitive.

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 5:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adskibullus View Post
    I live in the part of England where the Vikings ruled for about 12 years till the Saxons claimed the land back and the Vikings just chose an settled as excepting Saxon rule. The village I can from used to be a Viking camp on the river so I share the interest on all thing Viking.
    Originally from what is now Saxony in Germany, the Saxons were a confederation of tribes reportedly named for a common weapon of theirs, the "Seax" or short sword.

The Vikings that settled in England came from denmark i believe and only settled for about 12 years or so they occupied most of the east if England.
    The East? The inhabitants there would likely have been the Aengle, rather than the Saxons. Named after their land of origin (Angeln, traditionally--and up until recently--part of Denmark) these Danes gave their tribal name to their new land...as well as to the language we're currently using in this forum.

Interestingly some Viking made it to Northern France and then became the Norman people who then went on to invade Britain under William the concorer (sp) and made it what it is today although most of the English language is influences by the Saxons and the French.
    Linguists usually agree that, even in modern English, nine out of ten words stem directly from Old English. Words from other sources (Norse nautical terms, Latin-based tongues dealing in religious, legal, philosophic or scientific matters) take up the other ten percent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 5:44pm

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post

The East? The inhabitants there would likely have been the Aengle, rather than the Saxons. Named after their land of origin (Angeln, traditionally--and up until recently--part of Denmark) these Danes gave their tribal name to their new land...as well as to the language we're currently using in this forum.

Linguists usually agree that, even in modern English, nine out of ten words stem directly from Old English. Words from other sources (Norse nautical terms, Latin-based tongues dealing in religious, legal, philosophic or scientific matters) take up the other ten percent.
    Google danelaw, you should find a map of viking ruled england. Its spanned all the way down from cumbria round to about essex and london. Lived in a village in bedfordshire where a viking boat yard was found on the river ouse. http://www.danishcamp.co.uk/ and http://www.bedfordshire.gov.uk/Commu...heVikings.aspx

Like i said the vikings only ruled for 12 years untill 1066 when they were defeated at the battle of stamford bridge.

The general consensus is that this battle weakend the saxons so much that when the normans invaded in the same year the saxons lost if it hadnt been for ongoing skirmishes with the vikings, who knows maybe they would have repelled the norman invasion?

In the next town (bedford) they dug up the remains of a large saxon garrison and found lots of artifacts there although i believe it predates the vikings. Theyve found many sites allaround bedfordshire if your interested in that sort of thing.
    Last edited by adskibullus; 1/02/2013 6:03pm at .

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 8:42pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1.) I am cautiously optimistic that the History Channel's Vikings series will be at least decent. It's a scripted historical drama rather than a true documentary and stars Gabriel Byrne. I think it's an attempt to copy the success of Game of Thrones .

2.) I'm truly amazed at how similar the progress of this thread is to just about any thread on Ninjas. It's a mish-mash of survey-course-level historical detail, wishful thinking, bad jokes, digressions, and outright trolling.

Perhaps this pop culture similarity is what makes Antony Cummins feel qualified to publish a book on Viking Martial Arts.

http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Gu...cummins+viking

Please, carry on.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 8:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you claiming that the Vikings were not, in fact, Scandinavian river pirates?

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 8:55pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Are you claiming that the Vikings were not, in fact, Scandinavian river pirates?
    I'm not going to entertain questions from you until you can prove your lineage to a Viking Jarl is legitimate, or you pony up photos of you in your Viking LARP gear -- whichever is easier.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 1:47am

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    I could be wrong but that helmet on the front cover of that book looks like a Anglo-saxon burial mask which was made for one of the dead kings.

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 11:43am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Google danelaw, you should find a map of viking ruled england. Its spanned all the way down from cumbria round to about essex and london. Lived in a village in bedfordshire where a viking boat yard was found on the river ouse. http://www.danishcamp.co.uk/ and http://www.bedfordshire.gov.uk/Commu...heVikings.aspx

Like i said the vikings only ruled for 12 years untill 1066 when they were defeated at the battle of stamford bridge.

The general consensus is that this battle weakend the saxons so much that when the normans invaded in the same year the saxons lost if it hadnt been for ongoing skirmishes with the vikings, who knows maybe they would have repelled the norman invasion?

In the next town (bedford) they dug up the remains of a large saxon garrison and found lots of artifacts there although i believe it predates the vikings. Theyve found many sites allaround bedfordshire if your interested in that sort of thing.
    Gee, there was something called the Danelaw? I had no idea.

*sigh*

Kindly re-read what I wrote. I was merely stating that the people who were in the east when the Vikngs invaded were Aengle, not Saxons. These were two different peoples, and the term "Anglo-Saxon" didn't emerge until much later.

Mmmmkay?

Many thanks for the link, though.

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 11:49am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could be wrong but that helmet on the front cover of that book looks like a Anglo-saxon burial mask which was made for one of the dead kings.
    Raedwald, that's Sutton Hoo's helmet it is.

Seen it it the BM? Tiny. Guy must have been a midget.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/03/2013 12:26pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Raedwald, that's Sutton Hoo's helmet it is.

Seen it it the BM? Tiny. Guy must have been a midget.
    I've seen quite a few historic weapons from around the world, and my first though was "tiny". Small handles, small armor.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast