Posted On:
    1/01/2013 11:07pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Vikings

Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    The source of the word, of course, is "Vik". "Bay" or "inlet" are the most common modern-English translations. To go "viking" was indeed the name of an activity, rather than that of a people.
    Yes. In Old Norse, they were referred to as "vikingr". The ingr prefix means to hail from or to come from.

Further complicating the picture is the fact that many Norse would spend some time raiding and some time trading--whichever seemed more promising at the time, given weather and a whole host of other variables. Sometimes a drakkar-ship would decide whether to trade or to raid based on the defences of the towns they encountered.
    Many also had farms or other duties they tended to when they weren't pillaging or trading.

You might want to look that one up. Conversion (often by force thanks to pleasant individuals such as "Saint" Olaf) didn't put much of a brake on the sword'n'slaughter stuff, any more than it did among already-converted Saxons or Franks. Kings using monotheism to unify their followings were then able to further organize their forces, resulting in body-counts after the viking age that dwarfed anything that had occurred when the drakkar-ships still plied the waters.
    Truth. This kind of thing still happens today. Christianity has likely killed more people than it has saved.

Closer to (my) home, the first Norman duke (Hrolf Gangar, or "Rollo" as he's known in English) accepted nominal conversion for political gains (a very common reason among the highborn of the time, given the Roman church's power to bribe). However, as much as he contributed to local churches in Normandy, before he died he called upon--and made sacrifices to--his own ancestral gods. Playing both sides was nothing unusual in those times.
    It's always nice to learn something new. I can't say I'm surprised this went on.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 10:10am

Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Scandinavian people are probably the most prolific conquerors of all Europeans. If it wasn't for Vikings, we wouldn't have SAMBO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 10:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    The Scandinavian people are probably the most prolific conquerors of all Europeans. If it wasn't for Vikings, we wouldn't have SAMBO.
    What does the Vikings presence in Russia have to do with Sambo?
    Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 12:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    I'm guessing someone will respond with the "where did Russia get its name?" tale. Any Russian nationalists reading it will scream blue murder in G minor.

Before that happens, I'll derail matters with a little rant of my own. Apparently, there's a new-age bead-woman somewhere on a revisionist crusade, trying to turn the Vikings into peaceful hippies by--among other things--claiming that Blood-Eagle sacrifices never happened.

Harrumph.

Leaving aside that NOBODY in dark-age times (Viking or otherwise) was likely to live long as a peaceful hippie, I am disturbed--nay, offended--by the very idea of Blood Eagles never having been an integral part of viking culture and heritage.

The implications are quite an inconvenience. Next time I'm in court for pulling the lungs out of suit-boy, I might have to give up the "legitimate-expression-of-culture" defense that has always led to a stay of charges, choosing instead the defense of "right to recreational pursuit", "freedom of artistic expression" or some such nonsense.

Did I already mention: Harrumph?

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 12:46pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Vikings that came into Russia were called the Rus, AKA the River People. This is due to their ability to pretty much get anywhere that was near a river. They are the main reason there were Europeans in Russia at all. So no Rus, no Russia, no SAMBO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Way to go on dispelling all those Viking myths that might be said on that show that hasn't aired yet!

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 2:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. In Old Norse, they were referred to as "vikingr". The ingr prefix means to hail from or to come from.
    STFU.

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 3:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The BBC did a good series on The Vikings about 2 years ago. If you're lucky may be the History channel may broadcast it (unlikely though). Otherwise you might catch on BBC i-Player.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 4:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    The BBC did a good series on The Vikings about 2 years ago. If you're lucky may be the History channel may broadcast it (unlikely though). Otherwise you might catch on BBC i-Player.
    Nice, I'll check that out.
    Start a training log!

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 4:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a decent source for Viking attractions in Denmark, and some other info.
    http://www.vikingdenmark.com/

Interesting page discussing the etymology of "viking", mostly in Danish.
    http://home.online.no/~joeolavl/viki..._etymologi.htm

edit/disclaimer: This is for those of you who can read and have at least a modicum of intelligence.
    I do not assume the OP has either of those attributes.
    Last edited by ChenPengFi; 1/02/2013 4:42pm at .
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast