Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 6:38pm

Style: Taekwondo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

My first fight!

This is a 2-minute compilation of my 1st full-contact kickboxing fight I've done lots of semi-full-contact sport TKD competitions, but this was wholly out of my experience. I only had a couple weeks to cut 11 lbs and prepare to fight. This was my opponent's 4th fight, but I'm not sure of his record. I think it's 2-2 after this one.

Lemme know what ya'll think. I'm both very proud /and/ a little embarrassed by my performance. My next fight is in 13 weeks and I've got 10,000 things to practice and work on before then. I fought well last time, but I'm still lucky that I didn't get my face messed up tbh.

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 8:11pm

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It shows that you have some fighting experience from TKD. And that is valuable!
    You do not jab!! your equivalent of a jab is a kick.
    Some practice at your local MMA school (the striking classes) will help you a lot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 11:15am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jus' wanna make sure, you mean to use a front kick or something in the place of a jab, right? As in, I should be feelin' him out or settin' up with a kick instead? I see that you do both boxing and K1, and I love both. Serkan Yilmaz has always been one of my fave fighters to watch because of his TKD skills. I am open and eager for advice. Otherwise how else can I improve?

This fight was in October, and I've been since frantically trying to fix some of the gaping holes in my technique. Found out I was really good at some stuff and dangerously inexperienced in others. I learned that linear kicks seem to land a lot more, that I can't open up with a head-level roundhouse, that I REALLY gotta work on using combinations instead of trying to score points on single techniques like a damn n00b, that leg kicks are flippin' awesome... almost immediately when the bell rang I realized I had to use my kicks waaay differently when there's a less limiting ruleset! And my hands! Egads, I gotta learn to box! I honestly thought I was gonna be able to just go in and roundhouse kick him hard, fast, and often and that he'd just end up unconscious on the mat as a result. Got that idea punched right the **** outta my head, I'll tell ya what!

Posted On:
    1/04/2013 4:22pm

Style: Kung Fu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought you did pretty well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2013 12:11am

Style: Tai Chi,BJJ,knife-dueling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was an entertaining match to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Yimchaloi View Post
    I learned that linear kicks seem to land a lot more, that I can't open up with a head-level roundhouse, that I REALLY gotta work on using combinations instead of trying to score points on single techniques like a damn n00b, that leg kicks are flippin' awesome... almost immediately when the bell rang I realized I had to use my kicks waaay differently when there's a less limiting ruleset! And my hands! Egads, I gotta learn to box! I honestly thought I was gonna be able to just go in and roundhouse kick him hard, fast, and often and that he'd just end up unconscious on the mat as a result. Got that idea punched right the **** outta my head, I'll tell ya what!
    Back in the days of pre-MMA kickboxing, the only TKD master I knew of that was kickboxing well was Victor Soiler, and for some reason your match reminded me of him:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2013 1:12pm

Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should have warned me there would be Skrillex in your video. I only made it about halfway through before having a seizure.

How long have you been training for full-contact kickboxing specifically?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2013 1:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh, sorry 'bout that! It's always a good idea to add a warning in the case of Skrillex.

Magpie McGee: At the time of this fight I had about 3-4 weeks of prep time to get outta TKD mode and into kickboxing mode. The video below is me training/sparrin' with a friend 3-4 weeks before the fight. A lot had to - and still needs to - change.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2013 2:45pm

Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh, sorry 'bout that! It's always a good idea to add a warning in the case of Skrillex.

Magpie McGee: At the time of this fight I had about 3-4 weeks of prep time to get outta TKD mode and into kickboxing mode. The video below is me training/sparrin' with a friend 3-4 weeks before the fight. A lot had to - and still needs to - change.
    I guess that went as well as you could have hoped with 4 weeks and no coach.

I do think that erezb meant that you should jab more. It was hard to see through my seizure, but I don't think I saw you throw a single jab in that video.

I can't really offer any advice or criticism of my own. See that September join date? Prior to that, I had no experience in hitting people.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/05/2013 4:10pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!

This is a 2-minute compilation of my 1st full-contact kickboxing fight I've done lots of semi-full-contact sport TKD competitions, but this was wholly out of my experience. I only had a couple weeks to cut 11 lbs and prepare to fight. This was my opponent's 4th fight, but I'm not sure of his record. I think it's 2-2 after this one.

Lemme know what ya'll think. I'm both very proud /and/ a little embarrassed by my performance. My next fight is in 13 weeks and I've got 10,000 things to practice and work on before then. I fought well last time, but I'm still lucky that I didn't get my face messed up tbh.
    Want to come to CA and join my team?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2013 11:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Want to come to CA and join my team?
    Oh, snap! I'm flattered that you think there's enough potential hiding under all the sloppiness. Much thanks! And while one of my dreams is to live in CA again, I dunno how financially feasible it'd be. Mebbe if I earn more money from fightin' down the road, 'eh? ;-)
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast