Posted On:
    12/31/2012 5:58pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!

This Sucks!! Comic Nerds only!

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/1...e-on-vacation/

Recently, Peter David had a stroke. According to his wife's post:
    "We have a diagnosis, which is a small stroke in the Pons section of his brain," she wrote. "Now we have to figure out where we go from here and how we get Peter back to what he was before the stroke."
    For me, excluding back Issue writers before I became a CB nerd, Peter David is the Best Hulk writer of the last thirty years. He started in 1987 and quit when they tried to force him to regress in his storytelling:
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=21760
    Well, yeah: they didnít want me writing it anymore. Marvel wanted to have the Hulk be nothing but a mindless berserker, issue after issue of the Hulk just going around and destroying everything in sight. Banner would not be a factor in the stories; there would be no psychological underpinning; it would just be an inarticulate Hulk fighting everyone in sight. I felt that it would not be remotely challenging creatively and would be a disaster from a sales point of view. I told them I wasnít interested in writing that and tried to convince them that it would be a mistake. They didnít care about the second half of the sentiment; as soon as I said I didnít want to write that, I was told not to let the door hit me on the way out.
    Prophetic, as The Incerdible Hulk never gained the same acclaim or sales. Yes, this was before the excuse of "OMG INTERENET CBR IS KILLING COMICS!!" Instead of higher prices, shitty writing and no one dies. Incredible Hulk 467 was his swan song and is in my top Ten Comic Stories of all time.

There have been some decent stories like Planet Hulk

and World War Hulk
    but none touch on all the wit, comedy and changes he made to the hulk. The changes people have kept trying to mimic since he left.They have pretty much failed to the point of multiple restarts, red hulks and another relaunch after 15 issues.

I hope he recovers and still continues to write entertaining stories.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/07/2013 12:10pm

staff
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Loved his Hulk run. It was like Simonson's run on Thor: Fundamentally changed the nature of how the stories got told.

I hope he is OK.

Jeph Loeb should be beaten with a sock full of quarters for what he did with the Hulk.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/07/2013 12:36pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    Loved his Hulk run. It was like Simonson's run on Thor: Fundamentally changed the nature of how the stories got told.

I hope he is OK.

Jeph Loeb should be beaten with a sock full of quarters for what he did with the Hulk.
    Quoted for truth.