Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 3:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Moving Away Makes Me Sad (QQ Thread)

So I figured I'd post this in YMAS because YMAS Korea is Best Korea.

Basically, after I'm done with school in May I don't need to be in my area anymore. As an artist, I am HEAVILY considering moving back in with my folks for a little bit while I pay off some of my student loans. This means that come August when my lease is up I'm moving 1hr 15 min back down here..

and away from my MMA gym.

I feel really sad and I don't want to stop training there I really love everyone there. I feel like I'm part of the team, everyone there helps me and invites me out places. However, it'll save me over 10k a year to do this move. I don't know what to do I feel like they're actually the only reason why I don't want to move.

Do you think my coach will be angry if I ask him places he knows to train closer to my parents house? I know this place is close to us: http://www.ricardoalmeida.com/ and my old Kung Fu school is always there with open arms (needs more aliveness :'( )

You guys ever had to move away from a place you loved to train?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 3:47pm

supporting member
     Style: bjj

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I moved away from a big city that I hated to be able to live on the countryside mainly because I hated living in that fucking chaotic place. I loved my bjj gym but I didn't want to keep living there. In my new city, there was no bjj training and so I started one. In the weekends sometimes I go to other gyms to train, and some few times in the year I get back to my original gym. I still wear my teacher's patch and compete under his name. Last time I showed up in the gym to talk with him about my future and my direction in bjj he suggested me to organize a two-days seminar with him in the city I live, and train with other graduated people whenever I can, since I can't go there in his gym a lot. And training only with my white belts is not enough. I also wouldn't want to receive graduation from other person, despite offer from other gym.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 4:27pm

supporting member
     Style: bjj

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've read your journal. I should add that keeping linked to a school that is too far away is a pain in the ass both for financial reasons and also for training reasons. Yes, it is sad, very sad. But if you are new, white belt or close to that, please walk over your feelings and just switch schools.

Last time I went to my school I was thinking about changing to some closer school. But then when I was there on the mat, seeing the old guys, the training, I quickly realized that was just not an option for me. I've been there since I started to bjj; all that I have learned from zero to now came from there or was built over what I learned there. How could I change school? After 8 years (now 9), how could I ever wear a patch from another teacher in a competition? It wouldn't make any sense.

Also, quality did play a big role in my choice. I just can't find something of the same level close to me.
    Last edited by bigato; 12/31/2012 4:29pm at . Reason: add clarification

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 7:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes change is painful. But when you look back, years later, you see that you were better off in the long run. Good luck on your move.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 7:32pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are moving a reasonable distance away, only an asshole would be angry. Disappointed if you are a good student, but he should give you recommendations. Now, he might try and convince you to make the trip back and you shouldn't be an asshole when he does.

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 8:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    You are moving a reasonable distance away, only an asshole would be angry. Disappointed if you are a good student, but he should give you recommendations. Now, he might try and convince you to make the trip back and you shouldn't be an asshole when he does.
    Excellent. I am still new but making great leaps progress wise so who knows what will happen around then, just kicking around ideas. I'm excited though - there's Judo there and BJJ I'm sure it couldn't hurt me to add gi grappling to my mix. I could foresee going there and training open mat with them once and a while also, since I visit people in the area often.

Not even going to bring it up until later on in the school year but you guys've helped put my mind at ease.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 8:27pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. Unless your instructor lives in the back of the school, he'll know the gas trip alone will make it untenable. Good instructors know life happens because they live it as well. If you enjoy the school and are worried that means it has a good atmosphere. You'll have nothing to worry about.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 1:38am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel your pain. Leaving Sea-Town Sambo was one of the hardest parts about moving back from Seattle.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 2:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have had to move away a few times, it always sucks, you feel like your leaving family and you get use to a certain type of environment. However on the plus side you make new friends and get exposed to different methods and different styles and you end up with an even bigger family. Nobody but the biggest idiot is going to give you grief over it. Your certainly moving far enough way that it is very impracticable to continue at your current gym.

Posted On:
    1/02/2013 3:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I have had to move away a few times, it always sucks, you feel like your leaving family and you get use to a certain type of environment. However on the plus side you make new friends and get exposed to different methods and different styles and you end up with an even bigger family. Nobody but the biggest idiot is going to give you grief over it. Your certainly moving far enough way that it is very impracticable to continue at your current gym.
    At the very least I get to go back to Hung Ga guaranteed - for that I am excited, I am friends with my Sifu. However, I really want/need to continue with the aliveness I have been getting in submission grappling and kickboxing. It's not like we don't practice aliveness at all in Hung Ga but it's sporadic and many classes turn into forms only. As great of a workout they are, they don't make me feel like a capable fighter. In any case I'll be working out with him in addition to wherever else I choose to train.

-I found a Judo Club in Princeton @$90/month

- Ricardo Almeida BJJ in Hamilton, NJ. Ever since I started MMA I've gotten a taste of BJJ and I have actually wanted to get ranked in it. http://www.ricardoalmeida.com is the website. I looked at the Instrutor Bios, pretty blown away so far. Find MMA Gyms has reviews that state it is $179/month, and one guy claims a 2 year required contract - so that might not be feasible.

I don't know why I'm thinking of this now instead of later, but I think I have the 'graduating college panic' so I'm overplanning everything.
    Last edited by XXIV; 1/02/2013 3:29am at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast