--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Which BJJ schools in NYC are legit?

OK, so I am having trouble wading through the profit-driven schools in New York City. I need a few good BJJ schools in NYC from which I can learn practical street defense. I have 6 months to learn this self defense, which isn't much, so I need efficiency.

I did a search but didn't see any threads ranking NYC schools. I can't believe these McDojos succeed btw. Unreal. But I do get it because most people are unaware that there is a difference in instruction quality. Regardless, I always ask about aliveness training, which no school has said no to, yet still these McDojos are prevalent and I need some help.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    marcelo garcia's gym is world class. so is renzo gracie's, and so is alliance. one of my friends really enjoys training at clockwork, but if it was me, i would train with the best available coaches unless their schedule was unworkable for me (fat chance of that, marcelo offers classes all the time.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does location matter? Can you get to any of the gyms in NY without a problem.

Don't forget Sambosteve's school. Link to the thread here reviewing his school: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64602

Link to the school's website: http://www.nycombatsambo.com/

Sambo covers the standing and ground ranges. Most BJJ schools do not teach the standing range as well as Sambo does.

Edit: I could say the same for Judo having a better standing game than BJJ.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bsem View Post
    I need a few good BJJ schools in NYC from which I can learn practical street defense. I have 6 months to learn this self defense, which isn't much, so I need efficiency.
    What's happening in six months?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks everyone... To answer your question, in six months I will be taking a teaching job overseas and have been warned that it is dangerous and that I should be able to handle myself. Thus why I need good instruction quickly.

Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i agree with jnp that ny combat sambo might be your best choice for self defense training, especially with just 6 months to train.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've read that Sambo is a weak martial art. I'm guessing you guys disagree? DO they teach grappling? Also, I was going to mix boxing or judo with my BJJ training. Should I do some other combo? Like Sambo boxing? Or jiu jitsu Sambo?

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bsem, I'm afraid that you are rather ignorant. Sambo = weak?? Where do you hear this kind of ****? Assume that the responses are from serious people and that you are being given good advice by martial artists and go train, today, get off the computer and go to a Sambo class, or the BJJ mentioned, or both if you have the time, or just go train in a few different schools and check them out (FIRST read the stickies at the top of the page on finding a school).

Sometimes people seem to enjoy debating what combo of styles rocks the boat the best, Muay Thai plus Escrima plus boxing plus BJJ plus Judo plus blah blah blah. This is a waste of time.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 12/31/2012 12:08pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But I am curious, where are you going to teach?

What I'm wondering about is the condition of danger you envision. Fighting is to be avoided, if at all possible. Never think of self-defense as a fight. You have much more to lose that the aggressive guy. Escape is #1. Do you envision macho street fights? Forget about it.

Or muggings? If approached by muggers it would usually be smart to give them your wallet. Random attacks by criminals? Can you carry double shoulder holder knives (ones that hang on your back)? A $250.00 belt buckle knife? A gun? Street punk/hippies kids and such often cut open their pant pocket and carry a blade tied to their thigh that is easy to get to and hidden. Learning martial arts does give one an advantage, but taping a razor to your wrist (and not being too freaked to use it) would work better.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 12/31/2012 1:06pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bsem View Post
    I've read that Sambo is a weak martial art. I'm guessing you guys disagree? DO they teach grappling? Also, I was going to mix boxing or judo with my BJJ training. Should I do some other combo? Like Sambo boxing? Or jiu jitsu Sambo?
    just go take a class at NYCS, they cover all ranges, you don't need to train anywhere else.