Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 6:46am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

USA, 2012: Django Unchained

This is Quentin Tarantino pulling out all the stops. Django Unchained is brutal, grisly, gory, and unbelievably entertaining. Horrifying violence is nothing new to the director, but this is definitely a new standard in schlocky self-aware ridiculousness. Everything is completely over the top, from the gun fights to the explosions to the humor to the larger-than-life characters. Jamie Foxx as a slave-turned-gunslinger is impressive, but he and the rest of the cast are totally overshadowed by Christoph Waltz as Django’s bounty hunter mentor King Schultz. A cross between Waltz’s performance as Hans Landa in Tarantino’s previous Inglourious Basterds and Tombstone’s Wyatt Earp, the overeducated Schultz is a marvel in the movie’s version of the pre-Civil War American South. Half the fun of the film is simply watching how out of place Waltz’s character is with the rest of his surroundings, and how everything seems to miraculously fits together regardless. Speaking of bizarre juxtapositions, Tarantino deserves once again to be commended for his brilliant choice of movie music, a wonderful eclectic mix of everything from Johnny Cash to Rick Ross to Ennio Morricone. Assuming the subject matter and its portrayal doesn’t rub you too much the wrong way, Django Unchained is one of the most fun films of the past year, and worth every dollar to go watch in theaters.

Original Blog Link: http://fightfilmfriday.wordpress.com...ngo-unchained/
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 8:18am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great movie, but about 15-20 minutes too long. The subject matter may seem offensive, but it will be because it is over some people's heads. There is an entire undercurrent that made it completely awesome for me.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Great movie, but about 15-20 minutes too long. The subject matter may seem offensive, but it will be because it is over some people's heads. There is an entire undercurrent that made it completely awesome for me.
    but, but, but, spike lee said it's offensive. could the fact that he has refused to watch it have anything to do with that opinion?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 1:42pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, about 20 minutes too long. Q.T.'s such a huge commodity that nobody will tell him to whittle his stuff down a bit.

Dude really should make shows for HBO instead of theaters if he wants to do 3-hour films.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 1:46pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sucked, so I went to see Jack Reacher again.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 2:51pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    but, but, but, spike lee said it's offensive.
    Remember, this is coming from a guy who "sold out" and made Inside Man. In other words, he is Samuel J's character in this movie.

could the fact that he has refused to watch it have anything to do with that opinion?
    Considering he is angry any time *cough* Clint Eastwood *cough* a White man makes a movie about Blacks, naw he is just fucking stupid.
    Yeah, about 20 minutes too long. Q.T.'s such a huge commodity that nobody will tell him to whittle his stuff down a bit.
    Yep.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i also want to take this opportunity to apologize both for the short length of this review and the long hiatus of reviews in general. 2012 has been a bit of a crazy year for me, but here's hoping to getting things back on track.
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2013 3:46am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good ass movie. Didn't feel like it had quite the same level of suspense Inglourious Basterds did, and like others have said it did go on a little long, but it definitely made up for it in other areas.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2013 1:12pm

Style: BJJ, striking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Loved this flick...i don't think I've laughed that hard in a theater in a VERY long time. Another great date movie from the master.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/30/2013 1:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ,WT,Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very entertaining movie, I loved Tarantino´s take on the spaguetti western genre.Waltz being amazing in his role comes as no surprise,but DiCaprio as Calvin Candie deserves due credit,as well as a good supporting cast.Loved Franco Nero cameo.Foxx did solid job in the lead,kept the comedic part to just enough.

Im not sure I agree on the film being too long,more like there were pieces that could of been better blended in,given that there was enough that ended up on the cutting room floor as it was.
    Last edited by Escrimator; 1/30/2013 1:42pm at .