Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2013 5:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sri Hanuman View Post
    Every time someone claims that their fighting style is based on science, I want to punch a lab technician.
    But you have to keep in mind, physics operate differently in the street than they do in other areas of life. For example, a Wing Chun practititioner once told me that the best way to stop a baseball bat attack is to block the bat's swing with your forearm. This is because your forearm is round, like the bat, so the force will be distributed evenly.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2013 5:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally Posted by Holy Moment
    I want to see a Purple Dragon fighter go against someone who does Keichu-Do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sri Hanuman View Post
    Every time someone claims that their fighting style is based on science, I want to punch a lab technician.
    I want to see a Purple Dragon fighter fight in a lab with a Keichu-do fighter.
    A martial arts super style would be born.
    Purple Swamp Dragon Style, their songs would break multiple bones.

Posted On:
    1/07/2013 5:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    This is because your forearm is round, like the bat, so the force will be distributed evenly.
    This is sound logic.
    Head is rounder. Ergo, said chunner should have blocked the bat with his head.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    1/07/2013 6:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    I mean **** you for making me watch that.
    Who made you watch it?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2013 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Who made you watch it?
    A bad Wrabbit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2013 7:18pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    I actually knew about his background in that respect from an interview he gave at IFC 1. I do think the dude was legitimately talented and could've been a good fighter if he started off in a modern training camp (God knows, though, you could probably say that about a lot of guys back in the day). Towards the end of his career, he was apparently preparing to go into boxing and it really showed in his hand skills (He also dropped weight). If that version of Varelans fought Marco Ruas, things probably would've gone better for him.
    He could sure as heck take punishment. And he was strong as an ox. I think you are right. If he had gotten first rate training from early on and stuck with it, he would have been a monster.

It sounds like "Trap Fighting" might possibly have been a style name someone made up because (as you know) in early UFC, they liked to play up style vs. style. I mean, hell, they said Tank Abbott represented "Pit Fighting" when his background was juco wrestling, massive basement weightlifting, bar fights, and having a detachable central nervous system. If Tank had gotten & stayed in shape, and had real training, he could probably have had a nice career, too (unless his tremendous power would have disappeared once regular blood testing was introduced; not that I know anything -- I just hear that it has happened to athletes sometimes).

By the way, as a lover of the history of MMA and Boxing (as well as MA generally), let me offer huge ups for your fantastic work on the video section, Holy Moment! You are a great asset to the site.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2013 7:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is sound logic.
    Head is rounder. Ergo, said chunner should have blocked the bat with his head.
    I'm sure my Chun buddy would give that strategy some real consideration. He fancied himself a borderline retard, I think. He claimed that Bruce Lee would be able to beat Mike Tyson because Lee once beat Kareem Abdul Jabbar (In real life, apparently) and that a boxing critic once said Jabbar would've been able to beat Tyson if he trained as a boxer (Citation needed).

I could make a thread with his quotes. I'll have to dig them up.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2013 8:03pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post
    He could sure as heck take punishment. And he was strong as an ox. I think you are right. If he had gotten first rate training from early on and stuck with it, he would have been a monster.
    In his fight against Waldir Dos Anjos (Third to last of his career) he was throwing jabs and kicks like he knew what he was doing. No idea how long he was training properly, but I think if he was that good when he was in the UFC he could've made a bigger impact. He still lost to wrestler Nick Nutter later that night and got mauled by Dick Vrij before a come from behind KO in his last match.

He also elected to take his shirt off that night, which I'm not sure I agree with:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma....ail&gid=149151

It sounds like "Trap Fighting" might possibly have been a style name someone made up because (as you know) in early UFC, they liked to play up style vs. style.
    It wouldn't surprise me if SEG made it up. The dude was a huge presence in the ring, and they really liked to bring him back event after event.

I mean, hell, they said Tank Abbott represented "Pit Fighting" when his background was juco wrestling, massive basement weightlifting, bar fights, and having a detachable central nervous system.
    He actually had a few years of boxing under his belt when he made his debut. It's weird reading old interviews with him where he describes himself as being more of a grappler than a striker, but if you watch his old fights he really did put his wrestling to use.

If Tank had gotten & stayed in shape, and had real training, he could probably have had a nice career, too (unless his tremendous power would have disappeared once regular blood testing was introduced; not that I know anything -- I just hear that it has happened to athletes sometimes).
    Tank actually worked with Olympic wrestlers in preparation for MMA. He injured his knee working with one, which impacted his ability to train and caused him to bloat up. You can see the effects of this in UFC 11, where he weighed in at 300 lbs. A cortisone injection allowed him to run off the bulk in time for the second Ultimate Ultimate. I actually think he had good wind for a big man; Tito Ortiz once praised his conditioning. Fighting balls to the wall every time, though, is not going to make you look good when fights last thirty minutes straight with no rest peroids.

Tank also trained with boxing coach Jesse Reid (Who did some work with Macho Camacho, Lamon Brewster, and Roger Mayweather amongst others), BJJ coach Allan Goes (Which SEG paid for, wanting to groom Tank as the UFC's big star. Tank later got into a fight with Goes in the stands at UFC 8), and a yound Tito Ortiz. He also had his henchmen (Paul Herrera, Eddie Ruiz, etc) who were longtime wrestlers.
    Last edited by Holy Moment; 1/07/2013 8:06pm at .

Posted On:
    1/07/2013 8:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How 'bouts I **** up the thread some more? Yeah? Great!

We can also throw in the most tardtastic thread-titles.

A recall, a few years back, someone's nutrider celebrating his living-dream's victory over the Iceman, the night before, by entitling his nutride-thread *ahem*:

"RAAAAAAAMPAAAAGE JAAAAAAAAACKSOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!"

Not sure if I have the exact vowel-count right. The thread responses included some butthurt by a redneck whining about MMA's being handed over to "them". Classic.

At about the same time, Trollshido (which hadn't yet begun it's career as Duffshido) featured a thread I didn't bother to read past this poetic first line:

"I'm a little prison bitch, here's my spout..."

*sighs in wistful nostalgia, goes back to his 40 of Wray & Nephew Overproof while waiting for his shift to end*

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2013 5:02am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Mocking anything with WOLVERIIIIIIINES!!! in it is anti-American.
    I do not eat Macdonalds or drink Coca Cola either.
    King without a crown
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314 LastLast