Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last

Style
    Parkour, BJJ and Judo.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The REALLY best RBSD

No this isn't a thread about SUPER DEADLY ARMY SAS KILL WITH LOOKS thread.

It isn't about a meaningless debate on style vs style either, because we all know where that leads.

If you really want to be able to survive a fight against multiple, armed opponents, then why not learn Parkour? I think it may have been brought up a few times when people ask about the best self defense, but it's usually in passing.

I've just started classes, and it is great! MA are great, but there might come a time after you get your blackbelt in BJJ when you think you can probably take them, and it's just unrealistic ego talking.

Sure some people (Not the brightest ones) might suggest that running away is not manly, or that it's weak. I suppose being manly then means letting random thugs knife you to death. If that's the case than you don't really need to do an MA, just punch one of the biggest guys you can see.

Other benefits of Parkour include great fitness in almost every aspect, and since Parkour is not yet being mass marketed, you can't really find a dodgy school.

The people tend to be all mates, as there are no competitions in Parkour(but you can race if you want to, after class). The only real competition is who can help others get better the most.

So if anyone is in Melbourne, or close to a Parkour place, why not come down and have a look. Google Australian Parkour Association and come train with me.

I'll be the curly haired tool trying to get up that fucking wall!

Style
    Hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll make this quick.

1) No one worth taking seriously on this site advocates using violence when the situation CAN be solved without physical confrontation (within reasonable limit, I'm also not going to tell people to beg and cry on their knee's).

2) You really need a better grasp of striking and grappling.

3) Stop encouraging Sirc.

4) Those of us here that accept things like "reality" know it's a god damn better idea to hall ass then fight a group of thugs when you're alone or get the hell away from some psycho with a weapon. theotherserge is a Sambo instructor and he even made a post about how he simply walked away from some idiot with a knife instead of fighting him.

So yeah... you fail. You get an A for effort (sorta).

Style
    Parkour, BJJ and Judo.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I don't mean the majority of people on this site. I think we both know who I mean.

I would love to go to a gym for some grappling (I have a place all sorted out.) But I have to sort out the logistical issues of training twice a week a long way away from me, while in VCE.

If the best way to avoid a punch is to not be there, then the best way to not be there is Parkour.

Style
    BJJ, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RealManOfSteel View Post
    If you really want to be able to survive a fight against multiple, armed opponents, then why not learn Parkour?
    Farking hell, I'm going to try to save everyone some bandwidth and try to cut to the chase. The only effective way to train for a fight against multiple armed opponents is to regularly spar against multiple armed non-compliant opponents.

After your first few live sparring sessions against armed oponents, report back on which techniques you found worked.

:deadhorse

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpDawg View Post
    Farking hell, I'm going to try to save everyone some bandwidth and try to cut to the chase. The only effective way to train for a fight against multiple armed opponents is to regularly spar against multiple armed non-compliant opponents.

After your first few live sparring sessions against armed oponents, report back on which techniques you found worked.

:deadhorse

Don't know if you know...but Parkour is the art of running......with STYLE.

So he's advocating looking awesome while running away from the gang.
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're on a date, three drunk goons assault you and your girl. You run away while doing springing handstands on any obstacles in the way. She gets beaten, mugged and raped. Awesome.

Style
    10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    You're on a date, three drunk goons assault you and your girl. You run away while doing springing handstands on any obstacles in the way. She gets beaten, mugged and raped. Awesome.
    ....but I got away safely, right?

Style
    Judo/Stronglifts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    perhaps piggy-back sprinting lessons are the way to go then? :)

Style
    Isshin-Ryu Karate,JKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iainkelt View Post
    ....but I got away safely, right?
    Yeah you got away, in a awesome way, just like this guy did years ago:

YouTube- afro ninja

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alternatively, you have bad knees etc. and Parkour is not an option.

Concealed carry is the best RBSD. Sucks to be you if you live in a country/state where it's not allowed.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last